Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stunned silence from the ST community

I think that Triathlon does a much better job than most sports, Some women, like Chrissie Wellington, Daniella Ryf, Paula Newby-Fraser, are right up there with the best male triathletes in history. However, there is still some distance to go. I would agree with Equality of slots, making the sport equal would be a great platform to attract more women into the sport, the womans race should not be seen as being inferior in any way to the men's race. Equality of airtime, would also help equalise sponsorship money
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:

You gotta love when something is important to someone they think it should be just as emotionally important to everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

You gotta love when something is important to someone they think it should be just as emotionally important to everyone.

that's not what they think

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There certainly is equality in prize money (ITU and Kona). The top pro in prize money in 2019 was a woman (Katie Zaferes). And are there really barriers to entry for women? There are hundreds of races specifically for women (USAT hosts 100 such races).

I will agree that airtime is skewed and should be based on how compelling the racing is - e.g. Kona 2019 and Ryf's amazing performance was THE story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the stunned silence, the original post had no description or synopsis of what this topic is all about. Just a link to a video. If you don't open the video, you won't know what the discussion is about. A 5 bullet summary allows us to quickly come up to speed in 20 seconds vs sitting through a video for several minutes. This may have initiated the discussion. In general no one opens links or attachments especially from mobile devices. If you want us to react, tell us what its all about and it will seed the discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
On the stunned silence, the original post had no description or synopsis of what this topic is all about. Just a link to a video. If you don't open the video, you won't know what the discussion is about. A 5 bullet summary allows us to quickly come up to speed in 20 seconds vs sitting through a video for several minutes. This may have initiated the discussion. In general no one opens links or attachments especially from mobile devices. If you want us to react, tell us what its all about and it will seed the discussion.

Quite agree that the OP should have put a little more information in.

I responded because my Daughter, who is high school age, is passionate about equality, and has made me realise that I am rather complacent in my own actions. As I said, Triathlon does a pretty good job relative to many sport, but could certainly do more
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
e.g. Kona 2019 and Ryf's amazing performance was THE story
---

Are you remembering the same 2019 Kona story that I am? Because, IIRC, Lucy C-B dominated the swim and lead the bike the entire way, only to be outrun by Anne Haug. Excellent performances for both of those womens and slightly heartbreaking for Lucy to take the silver yet again. Ryf finished outside of the top ten for the first time in, like, ever. Perhaps that's the story you're thinking of?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
There certainly is equality in prize money (ITU and Kona). The top pro in prize money in 2019 was a woman (Katie Zaferes). And are there really barriers to entry for women? There are hundreds of races specifically for women (USAT hosts 100 such races).

I will agree that airtime is skewed and should be based on how compelling the racing is - e.g. Kona 2019 and Ryf's amazing performance was THE story.

So was Gwen's dominating victory at the Olympics a few years ago. (outside of the Brownlee household)
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
e.g. Kona 2019 and Ryf's amazing performance was THE story
---

Are you remembering the same 2019 Kona story that I am? Because, IIRC, Lucy C-B dominated the swim and lead the bike the entire way, only to bonk because she poured too much into the bike then be outrun by Anne Haug. Excellent performances for both of those womens and slightly heartbreaking for Lucy to take the silver yet again. Ryf finished outside of the top ten for the first time in, like, ever. Perhaps that's the story you're thinking of?

fixed it for you.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sorry if my internet activity doesn’t live up to your standards, but I don’t click on random links from unknown sources with no additional info/context.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't feel that I needed to say anything else. I asked a question what are your thoughts and left the link.
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I didn't feel that I needed to say anything else. I asked a question what are your thoughts and left the link.

I agree with dev here. I saw the subject line, something I might be interested in. Saw the link, clicked on it, and watched the first 20 seconds of pleasant small-talk before giving up.

Part of this is my preference for the printed word.

But I do think it would have been helpful for you to bring something to the table in the OP. You're asking us to invest nearly 7 minutes of our lives in something completely unknown. Worth investing a minute of your own time to introduce the topic, and provide a thought of your own.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 17, 20 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will respectfully disagree....... But that's only because you sided with Dev 🤣
Quote Reply
Re: What are your thoughts on these ideas about equality [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong year, sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

As others have said, a bit of context would have helped greatly.

From the title, it could be a thread about gender equality in triathlon, or cycling, or swimming, or anything in running from T&F to ultras to "male" runners identifying as female in college sports. Perhaps it's related to Chloe McCardell's recent English Channel swims which have resulted in women being the top 2 swimmers on the all-time list of most Channel crossings.

It could be about a single, atypical, ridiculous case of gender bias or discrimination, or systemic disadvantages.

It could be about the progress women of triathlon in the Middle East.

It could be another "look at these results, women are better adapted to men at endurance sports" thread.

Or even nothing to do with gender at all, maybe another thread about the swim component of triathlon being relatively short in relation to bike and run.

Edit your opening post and the title and you may yet see the conversation and interest the link may warrant.
Last edited by: satanellus: Aug 17, 20 18:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:

I think that Triathlon does a much better job than most sports, Some women, like Chrissie Wellington, Daniella Ryf, Paula Newby-Fraser, are right up there with the best male triathletes in history. However, there is still some distance to go. I would agree with Equality of slots, making the sport equal would be a great platform to attract more women into the sport, the womans race should not be seen as being inferior in any way to the men's race. Equality of airtime, would also help equalise sponsorship money

We are in the middle of covid epidemic. Women cannot work because they cannot get childcare whether it be daycare or straight up school. And the majority of the people who provide such care are women. Triathlon right now? meh.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, I am all for participating in a thread about equality be it related to socio economic, education access, gender biases, ethnicity related biases or cultural biases. I like to see humans for what they can get done, not what they look like. Its what is cool about sport, because generally time on the clock or goals score determine results in sport, not what you look like. But I honestly don't know what the thread is about. Like Trail, I come to a text based forum because I can read quickly and write quickly and so I prefer this medium.

Just as an FYI, in my company no one is allowed to send out links or attachments without 3-5 short bullet points of what is inside. One person invests the time and frames the discussion, and all the rest are saved a lot of time. Really, in this case, I gave up after 30 seconds and nothing useful was divulged in detail.

So just let us know out of the 7 minutes, what's the most interesting points you want us to discuss. I'm all in once we know what you care about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Seriously, I am all for participating in a thread about equality be it related to socio economic, education access, gender biases, ethnicity related biases or cultural biases. I like to see humans for what they can get done, not what they look like. Its what is cool about sport, because generally time on the clock or goals score determine results in sport, not what you look like. But I honestly don't know what the thread is about. Like Trail, I come to a text based forum because I can read quickly and write quickly and so I prefer this medium.

Just as an FYI, in my company no one is allowed to send out links or attachments without 3-5 short bullet points of what is inside. One person invests the time and frames the discussion, and all the rest are saved a lot of time. Really, in this case, I gave up after 30 seconds and nothing useful was divulged in detail.

So just let us know out of the 7 minutes, what's the most interesting points you want us to discuss. I'm all in once we know what you care about.
Come on Dev,get with the program.It is 2020 and the way it works is,someone throws out a random statement about a hot SJW topic and attaches a link which has very little to do with the highlighted topic in it.The required outrage is supposed to follow with all kinds of vitriol and virtue signaling until everyone gets bored,nothing costructive is done and we move along to the next topic of the month.
Quote Reply