Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Seems like a gigantic can of worms if you open up the executive to set tax policy and spend new money.

Almost like congress shouldn't abrogate their responsibility and power

Let's not forget the bullshit bill Schumer just pushed with the Fed. Tell the Fed to fix inequality. Kiss my ass. Let's give Schumer a hammer and tell him to go fix the International Space Station.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Seems like a gigantic can of worms if you open up the executive to set tax policy and spend new money.

Let's not forget the bullshit bill Schumer just pushed with the Fed. Tell the Fed to fix inequality. Kiss my ass. Let's give Schumer a hammer and tell him to go fix the International Space Station.

Without a spacesuit I see little chance of success
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

As an FYI, this is what the Young Turks are named after: https://www.armenian-genocide.org/young_turks.html
How platforms like YouTube, Twitter, etc. have not banned them is beyond me.

So just to be clear, you are 100% certain that this link is the inspiration for the name of the Young Turks network?
And you have listened to their content to verify that they put out factually incorrect and offensive material that would warrant being banned?

I know Alex Jones doesn't like them, there was a scene in the Frontline United States of Conspiracy where Alex Jones invaded their set and started a row. So if Alex Jones thinks they are bad, you are probably onto something.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Aug 8, 20 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I would support sending Schumer into space, with or without a hammer.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Supposedly Trump is about to speak regarding executive actions:
-extend eviction moratorium through end of the year
-extend UEI at $400 through end of the year
-extend suspension of student loan repayment
-eliminate the payroll tax

Hooo... ok...

Maybe this is all staged. The Republicans in the senate were setting this up for Trump to be the hero and save the day with EO, to improve his re-election chances?

Also, one interesting strategy point I heard discussed on the Young Turks podcast. The 4 month extension would push a new agreement into the lame duck period. If the Republicans lose they election they could try to throw the Democrats under the bus by refusing an extension then (when they already lost the senate and presidency), and had nothing to lose politically. The Democrats would like to avoid another showdown on this and resolve the issue at least through inauguration (6 month extension). This was part of the reasoning for why the Republicans may have offered a 4 month extension of the $600 benefit only (other parts to be resolved separately) earlier this week and Schumer and Pelosi said no, even though accepting this would be a huge help for a lot of people.

I think this is a real problem for Twump and the Republicans. I foresee ads claiming that this is an attack on SS & Medicare. That will not play well with the seniors or even those approaching retirement age.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same

My tenant took a 60% paycut. Called and asked for 50% reduction or volunteered to leave.

I said fine. I think it's been 3 months. Back to normal this month.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

I think this is a real problem for Twump and the Republicans. I foresee ads claiming that this is an attack on SS & Medicare. That will not play well with the seniors or even those approaching retirement age.

https://medium.com/...aos-and-876805b13d08

From Joe Biden
“ One order is Donald Trump’s first shot in a new, reckless war on Social Security. Trump announced a payroll tax plan with no protections or guarantees — like the ones the Obama-Biden administration enforced a decade ago — that the Social Security Trust Fund will be made whole. And, Trump specifically stated today that if re-elected, he plans to undermine the entire financial footing of Social Security. He is laying out his roadmap to cutting Social Security. Our seniors and millions of Americans with disabilities are under enough stress without Trump putting their hard-earned Social Security benefits in doubt.”
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to point out that he did the payroll tax thing in the most fuck up way possible

https://www.whitehouse.gov/...g-covid-19-disaster/

1) only applies if you make less than 4K a two week pay period (104k a year). It’s a cliff (no phase in) - make 3999 you get the deferral,,,, make 4K, nothing has changed

2) its a deferral - technically you’d still owe the tax - the exec order directs the treasury secretary to find some way to abate the tax
“ Sec. 4. Tax Forgiveness. The Secretary of the Treasury shall explore avenues, including legislation, to eliminate the obligation to pay the taxes deferred pursuant to the implementation of this memorandum.”

Of course, even though it’s just a deferral it hasn’t stopped that idiot Larry Kudlow from claiming that this will be worth $1200 per worker
https://www.foxbusiness.com/...-tax-cut-1200-kudlow

Like all things Trump, this was poorly thought out.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even worse, it seems that only one of these EOs was actually an Executive Order. The other three were apparently simply memorandum (and definitely not “bills” as the President described them).

So it looks like this is what Pres Trump did.

1. Used FEMA funds to fund $300 unemployment benefits per person, and declared that the States would fund another $100, without coordinating with the States.

2. Directed HUD to consider if there should be a moratorium on evictions. Didn’t actually implement a moratorium.

3. Defers the payroll tax, but it could still be owed if not subsequently passed into law. Mr Mnunchin basically said on Fox this morning that the President is deferring this, and promising you can keep it if he’s re-elected, but if he’s not, you’ll have to pay it back.

4. Directed Sec of Education to take action to defer student loan payments until December 31.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any lawyers actually work in the White House these days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
I just want to point out that he did the payroll tax thing in the most fuck up way possible

https://www.whitehouse.gov/...g-covid-19-disaster/

1) only applies if you make less than 4K a two week pay period (104k a year). It’s a cliff (no phase in) - make 3999 you get the deferral,,,, make 4K, nothing has changed

2) its a deferral - technically you’d still owe the tax - the exec order directs the treasury secretary to find some way to abate the tax
“ Sec. 4. Tax Forgiveness. The Secretary of the Treasury shall explore avenues, including legislation, to eliminate the obligation to pay the taxes deferred pursuant to the implementation of this memorandum.”

Of course, even though it’s just a deferral it hasn’t stopped that idiot Larry Kudlow from claiming that this will be worth $1200 per worker
https://www.foxbusiness.com/...-tax-cut-1200-kudlow

Like all things Trump, this was poorly thought out.

We've already decided that we're just going to keep on paying and remitting. It's not worth the headache.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I originally read that he was redirecting unused funds from the PPP to be used for UEI... which would be somewhat sensible TBH. The fact that he's using money from FEMA is flabbergasting. It's like they literally just drew an agency out of a hat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I originally read that he was redirecting unused funds from the PPP to be used for UEI... which would be somewhat sensible TBH. The fact that he's using money from FEMA is flabbergasting. It's like they literally just drew an agency out of a hat.

Great, now who’s gonna pay for the paper towels he throws at people after natural disasters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Didn't President Underwood also try that for his America Works job program?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The eviction moratorium...

Quote:
The Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Director of CDC shall consider whether any measures temporarily halting residential evictions of any tenants for failure to pay rent are reasonably necessary to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 from one State or possession into any other State or possession.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Do any lawyers actually work in the White House these days?

Yes, but they are occupied with developing a defense for the President's criminal actions, as opposed to his merely incompetent ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Didn't President Underwood also try that for his America Works job program?

You might have hit paydirt here. I completely forgot about "America Works". There's got to be some great parallels between Underwood policies and the current Trump skulduggery we are failing to credit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This whole EO stunt by Trump appears to be backfiring. It's created confusion, likely will delay the real congressional negotiations, it was a terrible look to announce it in front of his rich country club buddies, he's reduced the unemployment benefit and now backtracked on asking the states to cover 25% of it, the payroll tax deferment is unconstitutional and reeks of trying to bribe the electorate to vote for him, and it doesn't actually halt potential renter evictions (like Trump said it would).

Another poorly planned political stunt.
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Aug 10, 20 4:20
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Action on UEI, Evictions, and Payroll Tax [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“The Lord ... created Executive Orders.”

- Peter Navarro

I’m pretty sure that guy has completely lost it.
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Aug 10, 20 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
“The Lord ... created Executive Orders.”

- Peter Navarro

I’m pretty sure that got has completely lost it.

The best people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RINO Ben Sasse, who needed my support and endorsement in order to get the Republican nomination for Senate from the GREAT State of Nebraska, has, now that he’s got it (Thank you President T), gone rogue, again. This foolishness plays right into the hands of the Radical Left Dems!

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next