Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain rubbing on big chainring
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a Felt DA4 with a little bit of an unconventional gear set up. I’m running 52/36 chainrings and an 11/32 10 speed cassette with a 105 medium cage rear derailler. The chain is a 10S CN-4601(which was recommended by Shimano). My problem is that the chain rubs on the big chainring while in the lowest gear 36/11. I’ve doubled checked that the cassette is installed correctly, the chainrings are installed correctly and the derailler is aligned correctly.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain rubbing on big chainring [MarkH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That happens on every bike I own.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain rubbing on big chainring [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While often possible in theory (big/small or small/big).........actually doing it isn't necessary.

You have two chainrings on the bike, use them.

It's a geometry problem of the big ring, well, being bigger. You're pulling the chain outboard towards the big ring when cross chaining in the 11t cog. The big ring being bigger, it may rub.

Going the other way, using the big ring in a a 28t cog or something......the chainring you're crosschaining towards inboard is a smaller diameter. So, it will always clear it.

It's pretty much every bike. Not just yours. Just shift the front ring for that situation and ride on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkH wrote:
I’ve got a Felt DA4 with a little bit of an unconventional gear set up. I’m running 52/36 chainrings and an 11/32 10 speed cassette with a 105 medium cage rear derailler. The chain is a 10S CN-4601(which was recommended by Shimano). My problem is that the chain rubs on the big chainring while in the lowest gear 36/11. I’ve doubled checked that the cassette is installed correctly, the chainrings are installed correctly and the derailler is aligned correctly.
Has anyone else had this problem?

As others have said, yes, that happens on every bike I have (except my 1x9 mountain bike) , and there is no reason for you to be in that gear. If you find yourself in the 36/11, then you should be in the big ring on the front and a bigger cog on the back.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be using a CN-6701 chain.

Stop cross-chaining and your problem is solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your quick responses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big/big or small/small is known as cross-chaining. It results in extra lateral stress on the chain, costing you watts and shortening the lifespan of the chain. In short, you shouldn't do it. (Although we all occasionally lose track of where we are on the cassette and do it accidentally).

Chain rub from the front derailleur is actually a good thing, as it is a good cue that it is time you executed a front shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of using the 36/11, use 52/16, gear ratio is about the same and you won't be cross chaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could go for a smaller big chainring by 2-4 teeth, it might clear then
Quote Reply