Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to say it's "The Dumber it looks the faster it is"

Unfortunately my own n=1 seems to disprove that, as despite looking plenty dumb I'm still pretty slow.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I wish the Tempor only saved me 3 watts at 34 mph. If that were the case, I wouldn’t be inclined to wear one. Besides looking incredibly stupid, it is a pain to get on, the visor sucks, finding one is really difficult and expensive,....

That's the thing with the Tempor - it either works for you and your position or it doesn't. If it does, it's a massive savings. If it doesn't, it's like a giant anchor attached to your head.

Saying the visor sucks isn't descriptive enough. It is literally the worst visor on any aero helmet i've ever owned. As far as getting it on - trimming the ears slightly helped a HUGE amount for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I wish the Tempor only saved me 3 watts at 34 mph. If that were the case, I wouldn’t be inclined to wear one. Besides looking incredibly stupid, it is a pain to get on, the visor sucks, finding one is really difficult and expensive,... .

I would be happy if it gave me 3+ watts in my normal position. In Aguascalientes, when I was playing around I saw some crazy lower Cda numbers if I basically put my head into my crouch. A position like that was only sustainable for a few laps and not at threshold.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Last edited by: rockdude: Jul 30, 20 6:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
RKW wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

There are two on Ebay right now out of the UK for around $800. Yes, eight freaking hundred dollars. Geeeeezzzz. And one of them is damaged!

In all fairness to the "damaged" one. Basically the first time you put it on, it'll crack like that. Every one I've ever seen has the same crack. That's why most people trim about 3mm off of the ears. It is literally a plastic fairing all the way over and down your ears. No safety or structural component to it whatsoever.

I'd happily sell mine for $800 + shipping.

In the big scheme of things $800 is a bargain if it works for you. Those Ceramic Speed jockey wheels are $500 and doing the rest of your bike bearings is $1000. If that dumb-ass lid works for you, the watts/dollar almost makes it a bargain.

Except when you compare to other aero helmets that are 50% cheaper on the high end and 75% or more cheaper on the low end.

To me, I'm not in the "baller" earnings category of jobs to justify spending $700 MORE on a helmet. I say more........I spent $100 on a used Poc Cerebel. $100. Between that and my $35 Giro Adv 2, I'm not sure you can spend $135 better on helmets to try out.

Sure, at 34mph the old Tempor might be 3w faster........but if just getting $150 in cranks to work with my Quarq raised the wife's ire..........surely an $800 helmet would!!!!

I think part of it is that Huub Wattbike made the Tempor "the thing" through their detailed marginal gains mentality to pursuit. People saw the old helmets on some cool guys flying around the track and "I've gotta have that".

Meanwhile, the HJC Adwatt is the hour record holding helmet............without a visor in use. Ha ha. Just goes to show we don't know what we don't know sometimes.

FWIW, I've seen a couple of used Adwatts popup and disappear fast for like $235. I thought about it, but I have better places to focus the budget right now.

I wish the Tempor only saved me 3 watts at 34 mph.

I made that up.

I'm in the sandbox with the infants and toddlers farting around with my TT adventures. I have fun trying stuff out and talking about TT with people. I guess my point was that I don't think I am "worthy" of that big of a budget spend to try out a helmet that really really fast folks use.

I may be making a very poor assumption, but it seems like that helmet has been useful for people who are really fast and really fast indoors. I get that yaw isn't zero indoors, but they're going so fast indoors and outdoors with that helmet........that helmet might not help someone like me. My poor assumption being that the Tempor is a low yaw angle helmet.

FWIW, my used Cerebel has a barely visible line where the person put it on/off over their ears just like all these other helmets. I try to prevent that by not bending it on and pushing on my ears slowly to get them past the edge.
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's one way to solve the P4 rear brake issues! That short basebar is also interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
everyone has snatched up the ole brezza nano's :D

The hillbilly carbon extensions are the chef's kiss to the setup.

Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No....just no......its FUGLY

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the Aerohead and the Wing Aero have a child?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

There are still new ones floating around. R&A has it for $750. I thought about it until I saw how fat the basebar is. It looks twice as thick as the Ventus, which isn't twice as wide
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Morelock wrote:

There are still new ones floating around. R&A has it for $750. I thought about it until I saw how fat the basebar is. It looks twice as thick as the Ventus, which isn't twice as wide

Yeah, if all of the ventus' quirks work for you then it's still really the only choice. There are quite a few quirks though.

in my n=1 at da wind tunnel, the nano was ~ within error of the USE Tula (which was 40cm) although at the time I was only looking at UCI legal stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
I would be happy if it gave me 3+ watts in my normal position. In Aguascalientes, when I was playing around I saw some crazy lower Cda numbers if I basically put my head into my crouch. A position like that was only sustainable for a few laps and not at threshold.
Noticed you don't have a rear brake. Is this legal? UCI? Triathlon? Non-UCI TT? Just never seen that before and curious. Haven't reviewed the rules recently.

Second, what front brake lever is that?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Screams “I wanna be like an Aeroheadâ€

Everyone wants to be like an Aerohead!

few are though
Have you tested many POC Tempor's or any of these new Lazer Volantes?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:
I'm a bit confused. POC are still selling these direct for $266. Why would anyone pay more than double on eBay?

I couldn't add one to cart on their website. So, I think that's a dead link.
I found one on ebay for $500 and bought it immediately. POC will not ship them to USA, FYI. I exchanged emails with them, begging and bartering. They said the only way to get them in the USA is to ship to a friend in Europe and have them personally ship it to you. They had no formal plans of changing that at the time of emailing (8 months ago roughly).

Wife took 5th at US Pro in the TT wearing it. (link for pic of position). No aero testing. Just told her: "hold your head this high."

Now she's got sponsor offers but they want her in the Lazer discussed in this thread. So here I am mining the internet for information.

Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:
I'm a bit confused. POC are still selling these direct for $266. Why would anyone pay more than double on eBay?

I found one on ebay for $500 and bought it immediately. POC will not ship them to USA, FYI. I exchanged emails with them, begging and bartering. They said the only way to get them in the USA is to ship to a friend in Europe and have them personally ship it to you. They had no formal plans of changing that at the time of emailing (8 months ago roughly).

Wife took 5th at US Pro in the TT wearing it. (link for pic of position). No aero testing. Just told her: "hold your head this high."

Now she's got sponsor offers but they want her in the Lazer discussed in this thread. So here I am mining the internet for information.

I got mine BNIB sometime after posting that and the VE testing told me it was faster, supposedly. A triathlon supply company in the UK had it in stock and was willing to ship it. I paid the POC msrp from their website.

Won category at regional TT's, 8th fastest time overall. NOT blistering pace by any standard, but fast enough for me. I dunno, I like it. I'm keeping it for now and doing testing around other stuff.

I'm in work now to find the power/aero to get into the 28's mph for a 10mi'er. Should be able to now, just gotta go do it. Then it's "project three zero point zero". A 30mph 10mi'er. That'll take some trainer suffering to get some bigger boy legs built up.

I'm currently trying to learn the Notio by using it more often on training rides and looking at data to better characterize how it works to decide on testing protocol and test route.

Me: minus aero points, chin strap excess fell out of its loop before taking off......
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m19vUM][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2m19vUM]cca tt 2[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/41876938@N05/]sflemon[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m2bgcp][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2m2bgcp]trinity fit pics 5[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/41876938@N05/]sflemon[/url], on Flickr
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro tip: get some needle and thread, then sew the extra bit down. Nearly impossible to flap in the wind then.

burnthesheep wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

I got mine BNIB sometime after posting that and the VE testing told me it was faster, supposedly. A triathlon supply company in the UK had it in stock and was willing to ship it. I paid the POC msrp from their website.

Won category at regional TT's, 8th fastest time overall. NOT blistering pace by any standard, but fast enough for me. I dunno, I like it. I'm keeping it for now and doing testing around other stuff.

I'm in work now to find the power/aero to get into the 28's mph for a 10mi'er. Should be able to now, just gotta go do it. Then it's "project three zero point zero". A 30mph 10mi'er. That'll take some trainer suffering to get some bigger boy legs built up.

I'm currently trying to learn the Notio by using it more often on training rides and looking at data to better characterize how it works to decide on testing protocol and test route.

Me: minus aero points, chin strap excess fell out of its loop before taking off......
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m19vUM][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2m19vUM]cca tt 2[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/41876938@N05/]sflemon[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m2bgcp][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2m2bgcp]trinity fit pics 5[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/41876938@N05/]sflemon[/url], on Flickr
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Sep 29, 21 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Noticed you don't have a rear brake. Is this legal? UCI? Triathlon? Non-UCI TT? Just never seen that before and curious. Haven't reviewed the rules recently.

Second, what front brake lever is that?

Not UCI legal but it takes a rocket scientist to get those back brakes to work if you are switching wheels a lot. The levers are old school 3T's. Hard to find but have a small profile.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noted. Thank you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Ask Primoz Roglic what he thinks of it...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After scouring the internet almost all day, I can confirm.... via excel spreadsheet data of helmets, bikes, and wheelsets used by the top pro male and female riders.... Primoz Roglic does in fact wear the Lazer. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

I field tested (and raced briefly) a Volante last year. It tested on par with my best helmet (and had better visibility) but I found it incredibly sensitive to rotation. If you don't have it at quite the right angle, I found it an absolute dog in my case. I didn't want that extra uncertainty so promptly sold it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Ask Primoz Roglic what he thinks of it...
He won 4 time trials with that same helmet this year, one of them was the Olympics.

Helmet didn't even look that bad in his time trial position during that same stage

Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Pro tip: get some needle and thread, then sow the extra bit down. Nearly impossible to flap in the wind then.

I put some heat shrink over mine. Looks tidy and is less hassle than sewing :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been trying both the Lazer Volante and the POC tempor, trying to compare them head to head. Have them both at home currently.

https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTzs_I4NrNn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

For me, the Tempor is faster when the speed is high (28+ and rather like 31mph) but I loose time compared to the Lazer otherwise, in total on a normal TT-course they are about the same. This makes me rather use the Lazer Volante as it is easier to put on, have a better visor and gives better visibility.
Last edited by: p3eriksson: Sep 30, 21 0:05
Quote Reply
Re: New helmet - Lazer Volante TT [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cxrider wrote:
He won 4 time trials with that same helmet this year, one of them was the Olympics.

Helmet didn't even look that bad in his time trial position during that same stage
That last photo shows the exact position that caused it to act like a dog on me. Whilst you'd think a flush fit like that would be best, it wasn't for me and I actually needed a more unsightly ~3 inch gap of the tail from the back.
Quote Reply

Prev Next