Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The ironman journey begins...
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum and just thought I'd quickly introduce myself and hopefully gain a bit of advice on the process.

I've been a runner for a few years now and have got to a decent standard with a marathon pb of 2.43. I train constantly throughout the year, reading and learning everything I can on endurance training to continue to become faster. I swim when I get chance but has been more for fun and same with my cycling or use it as x training if injured.

Having completed a few ultra distances I've been looking a new challage which has led me to ironman distance. I've become obsessed with doing one so yesterday took the step of booking my first one. The event isn't until July next year so gives me plenty of time to get in shape as well as learn some of the many other things required in order to complete the distance.

So with 11 months to train my initial plan is to increase both the swim and bike volume whilst maintaining running fitness over the next 5 months then undertake a more formal training plan around 6months from the race.
My plan on the bike is to increase my ftp utilising zwift on a wattbike. I'll start riding more outside next spring. Swimming I'll be mostly working on technique until next year and doing some open water experience. I'd like to keep some intensity on the bike and runs but mostly plan on being in zone 2. Finding a good balance of intensity on the bike and run is something I think will be difficult and something I might need some guidance with.

I often train in excess of 10 hours which I'd like to maintain during the longer build phase I have available but could increase to maybe 15-20 hours in the new year as the race approaches.

I'll also do a few shorter races in the new year to gain experience. As this is my first ironman I have no real time expection but would like to complete to the best of my ability on the day.

I know these type of post are probably quite common on here and I appreciate the time anyone takes to read this one. Im really grateful for any advice offered and if anyone is interested I'm planning on sharining my journey from runner to ironman over the next year...
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [Jonnywev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! Enjoy the journey. I have been for the last 20 years, although, reading your post causes me to reflect that as your journey with Ironman is beginning mine is nearing the end. I hope you find success in your endeavors. Only advice I will offer is to remember to BALANCE life with sport.
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Welcome! Enjoy the journey. I have been for the last 20 years, although, reading your post causes me to reflect that as your journey with Ironman is beginning mine is nearing the end. I hope you find success in your endeavors. Only advice I will offer is to remember to BALANCE life with sport.

Cheers mate. As your career might be ending, looking back how do you feel about your achievements? Was it worth the sacrices?
I have a very understanding wife and young children as well as a job that requires long hours. Time efficiency is something very important to me like most but sometimes wonder if I should be investing so time in what is essentially a hobby. Maybe after the ironman I may take a step back from training for a while but as its something I'm passionate about finding a balance is often difficult. Rest could do with being better too......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what your swim experience is, but always keep in mind the opportunity cost of swim training. I was a competitive swimmer growing up so I never had to worry much about training for the swim. It's just that for running and biking you can just go from your house (I guess maybe not depending where you live). I'm guessing for you with the wattbike though this is a non issue. Swimming, however, means driving to a pool, changing, swimming, changing, then going home. It can take 2 hours to swim for one. The question to ask is how much better can you become in the swim? If you can already finish the swim in 1:25 for example, and four swims a week can get you down to 1:20 or 1:15, that extra time may be spent better doing something else on the bike for example.....or MORE SLEEP or FAMILY TIME.

Now if you are in danger of not making the cut off or something like, this is a different situation.

I was swimming twice a week during IM training years ago. One was a recovery swim right after my long run and I would do one mid week swim of about 3000 yards. Then in the month leadup and taper to the race I increased frequency to four times a week as rides and runs got shorter.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck! Enjoy the journey.
Last edited by: klorene: Jul 23, 20 4:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you have a good grasp on things. If you do okay in the water you may not want/need to invest alot of time there. That would leave more time for the bike because if you become a good/strong biker that will enable you be able to run like the runner you are. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the editors/official contributors here (I am not actually sure of Lars' title) wrote a blog series about IM training on 9 hours a week training two years ago. He did several updates and it provides some excellent advice for someone in your position.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...an_Ironman_6242.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Experiment_6325.html

Having a base from years of training gives you are very good starting point and will massively help in terms of successfully implementing a more time limited training regime. The trick will be maximizing the quality of your sessions in order to build upon the base you have without putting in the big hours. For Lars this meant a lot more time in the pool and a lot fewer long bike rides than what a typical training plan would suggest. I have used a similar approach in the past but it requires full commitment to intensity on the bike which is not a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a very good point about the swum and what's to be gained. Before lockdown I was confident at being able to finish the swim in around 1.15. I was swimming regularly at that time and seemed to be improving quite quickly. I think that swimming will always be my weakest sport but like you point out the time taken to improve doesn't always carry over to much of a lower race time.

Twice weekly swims would suit my schedule nicer and if it frees some time up for family and rest that would be great,
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I'd prefer to put more time in on the bike, I'll never be a super fast swimmer either way,
Thank for your reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonnywev wrote:
I think that swimming will always be my weakest sport but like you point out the time taken to improve doesn't always carry over to much of a lower race time.

Twice weekly swims would suit my schedule nicer and if it frees some time up for family and rest that would be great,

I used to see that the same way. After having been quite some time in the sport I started to take a different view, especially since a horrible non-wetsuit swim last year at IM Austria. I climbed on my bike with a terrible constitution and decided I had to change something.
Now I'm training for a long distance in september and I swim 10 km a week, where I used to do only 4.

Of course it will only be good for 10, 15 minutes at the most in the swim but I hope that the biggest gain will be on the bike, being able to start in a lesser fatigued state.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 23, 20 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, Im looking forward to having a good read through these posts.

Like many other aspiring ironman with day to day responsibilities I have to utilise the available time as effectively as possible. For years I've sacrificed social events and other hobbies and pass times in order to train more.
Also guilty of cutting back on sleep, rest and recovery even though I I know this isn't always the best method.
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to leave the water feeling ready for the bike. If it means extra swims then I'd consider doing less runs, even just for a period during the build up just to increase the efficiency and my strength I the hope that the swim doesn't take too much out of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonnywev wrote:
TJ56 wrote:
....I have a very understanding wife and young children as well as a job that requires long hours. Time efficiency is something very important to me like most but sometimes wonder if I should be investing so time in what is essentially a hobby. Maybe after the ironman I may take a step back from training for a while but as its something I'm passionate about finding a balance is often difficult. Rest could do with being better too......
I often think if you're wondering whether you spend too much time on a hobby, and have any thoughts that perhaps you're being unfair to your family, you probably are. Of course it's quite likely the worst offenders never even consider the possibility!
I've done IM, but that was before I had kids. I couldn't do it now without an impact on family life that I couldn't possibly justify. When I see people here suggesting it's possible to balance 15hrs/wk training and a demanding job, and a family, I cringe. I simply don't believe that they're willing to accept the impact it's undoubtedly having on their family life. I think they're certainly missing out on a LOT, and just don't realise it, or can't accept it. Addiction is like that.
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Jonnywev wrote:
TJ56 wrote:
....I have a very understanding wife and young children as well as a job that requires long hours. Time efficiency is something very important to me like most but sometimes wonder if I should be investing so time in what is essentially a hobby. Maybe after the ironman I may take a step back from training for a while but as its something I'm passionate about finding a balance is often difficult. Rest could do with being better too......

I often think if you're wondering whether you spend too much time on a hobby, and have any thoughts that perhaps you're being unfair to your family, you probably are. Of course it's quite likely the worst offenders never even consider the possibility!
I've done IM, but that was before I had kids. I couldn't do it now without an impact on family life that I couldn't possibly justify. When I see people here suggesting it's possible to balance 15hrs/wk training and a demanding job, and a family, I cringe. I simply don't believe that they're willing to accept the impact it's undoubtedly having on their family life. I think they're certainly missing out on a LOT, and just don't realise it, or can't accept it. Addiction is like that.

This subject is always ongoing. Of course it depends on your job: is it a 30-hour job or a 60-hour job. Blue-collar job: not good, you get physically tired out of it.

But there are a lot of tricks to fill in your training in your daily life: a big thing is commutes: if you are able on a Tuesday e.g. to get out of work at 4: you can bike from work home in 4 hours getting home at 8, and having done your long bike. I personally try to do it that way in order to be there for the family in te weekend. Long bikerides in the weekend are not good if you have a family. That is, of course, if you have the opportunity to do your long trainingunits during the week.

Covid 19 can even be a chance (although I do not want to be unserious with those affected badly by this desease) being stuck at home in Homeoffice it could even be a relief for your partner if you leave the house sometimes for a training session.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 24, 20 1:56
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Jonnywev wrote:
TJ56 wrote:

This subject is always ongoing. Of course it depends on your job: is it a 30-hour job or a 60-hour job. Blue-collar job: not good, you get physically tired out of it.

But there are a lot of tricks to fill in your training in your daily life: a big thing is commutes: if you are able on a Tuesday e.g. to get out of work at 4: you can bike from work home in 4 hours getting home at 8, and having done your long bike. I personally try to do it that way in order to be there for the family in te weekend. Long bikerides in the weekend are not good if you have a family. That is, of course, if you have the opportunity to do your long trainingunits during the week.

I've seen these suggestions before and while some are legitimate, i.e. replacing a 1 hour car commute in traffic with a 1 hour cycle, others just move things around but are still likely to be taking you away from your family for significant chunks of time. I doubt very much that your commute is 4 hours? So if you can get out at 16:00 to ride home, you could surely also have gotten out at 16:00hrs and taken another form of commute to be home hours earlier than 20:00hrs. I'm not sure what the trick is unless it's that you save the usual commute time. I get that if your commute is an hour, you're getting a 4 hour ride with the cost of only 3 hours of family time, but you seem to be saying something else?
I've read several of these discussions here, and there are always suggestions like this that are proposed as a way to avoid impacting your family but the reality always seems to be a saving of a couple of hours a week at most with most "tricks" missing the point and just relocating the time loss but not eliminating the impact. A typical one being guys who say they go to bed really early, so they can get up very early and train before work. Sure that means you don't need to train in the evening, but you have to sleep instead. So maybe you get some time with the kids in the early evening, but you don't get time with your partner after the kids go to sleep, because you're off to sleep too! Setting aside the weekend as "family time" doesn't replace just being around and accessible during the week, at least it doesn't for me!

Anyway, apologies if I've taken this thread a little off topic. The OP mentioned training time and impact on family, but it probably wasn't what they most wanted to discuss. Feel free to revert to normal programming!
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jul 24, 20 2:15
Quote Reply
Re: The ironman journey begins... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Jonnywev wrote:
TJ56 wrote:

I've seen these suggestions before and while some are legitimate, i.e. replacing a 1 hour car commute in traffic with a 1 hour cycle, others just move things around but are still likely to be taking you away from your family for significant chunks of time. I doubt very much that your commute is 4 hours? So if you can get out at 16:00 to ride home, you could surely also have gotten out at 16:00hrs and taken another form of commute to be home hours earlier than 20:00hrs. I'm not sure what the trick is unless it's that you save the usual commute time. I get that if your commute is an hour, you're getting a 4 hour ride with the cost of only 3 hours of family time, but you seem to be saying something else?

I can say that above trick is actually one of the best ones I've been doing the last years. It works for me. I commute an hour, so if I do a long ride for three hours I only use 3 hours "of the family". Thanks to flexi time sometimes I can get away at 15:00, leaving 4 hours for a ride to be back at 19:00. Of course the work must be suitable for that, there are a lot of jobs where people have to stay until 18:00 or 19:00 anyway, but that put aside.
But for me, coming home a little late at Tuesday influences the family a lot less than doing your long ride in the weekend which actually causes a whole day not being able to do things with family.

That said, other activities and meetings with friends are minimized.
If you want to work, spend time with your family, do IM and additionally want to have time for friends and other social activities 24 hours might be too short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that you are on the right path. Definitely invest in time in the saddle - basically that's what the Ironman is mostly about. Swim lots, 4 hours a week is a good number. With your 2:43 open marathon time you can afford to cap your weekly running mileage at 30ish miles, and def stick with lower intensities (maybe 1 tempo run per week, 1-2 easy runs, 1 long run).

Oh yeah, and as the others have said - balance your life. Any Ironman pursuit is much more fun when your significant other/family is onboard with you being out of the house for 6-8 hours on Sunday.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Jul 24, 20 6:52
Quote Reply