Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing Decals on a Bike Frame
Quote | Reply
i wrote about this in conjunction with the renaming of ABG's carbon gravel/MTB brand, from OCOEE to OBED.

this question came up, in the FB utility below the article: "That's a great video and a great look of fresh decals on an empty canvas of a frame. Nice work. I have a 2015 Cervelo P2; will a heat gun/hair dryer remove the existing branding/decals?"

i'm posting this here, and i'll ask the folks at cervelo about how they mount their decals: atop or underneath the clear coat. and then i'll answer it here. if any of you have bikes that could use a fresh set of decals, you can post here and i'll do my best to get you the answers on: 1) if your frame can be redecaled; and 2) if the decals are avalailable, how much they cost, and where to get them.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Decals on a Bike Frame [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you only talking about Cervelo? I have a Felt IA14 that I have considered getting a custom decal for, but that's the extent of it. I haven't done any serious research on how to go about doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Decals on a Bike Frame [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spencer93w wrote:
Are you only talking about Cervelo? I have a Felt IA14 that I have considered getting a custom decal for, but that's the extent of it. I haven't done any serious research on how to go about doing this.

i'm taking about any bike you own, made by any company.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i wrote about this in conjunction with the renaming of ABG's carbon gravel/MTB brand, from OCOEE to OBED.

this question came up, in the FB utility below the article: "That's a great video and a great look of fresh decals on an empty canvas of a frame. Nice work. I have a 2015 Cervelo P2; will a heat gun/hair dryer remove the existing branding/decals?"

i'm posting this here, and i'll ask the folks at cervelo about how they mount their decals: atop or underneath the clear coat. and then i'll answer it here. if any of you have bikes that could use a fresh set of decals, you can post here and i'll do my best to get you the answers on: 1) if your frame can be redecaled; and 2) if the decals are avalailable, how much they cost, and where to get them.

Great timing! I'm likely buying a TREK Domane SL6 in all black. I was considering getting the the "TREK" done in the silver color to place on top of the black lettering. I would definitely be interested from trek itself vs outsourcing it via vinyl.

I also was considering going custom and getting "TREK" done in Maryland state flag vinyl. I think that would be cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some years ago I bought a Trek 5500 frame, for an intended project. I stopped in at m local Trek boutique and ordered a set of decals, which were free of charge. I still have the set of decals, and the frame. It's a "some day" project. See John Fogerty for details about Someday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested, with some qualifiers. I have a previous-gen rim brake S5, which is largely matte black with matte white decals. I would love to be able to get replacement decals that allow for some degree of customization, e.g. the ability to use my choice of decal material (specifically: https://www.rvinyl.com/...ost-Pearl-GP280.html).

I'm actually doing something similar right now with my 2013 Scott Foil. Scott used painted sections (in my case, red) to highlight the truncated aero frame tubes (which are largely black). I'm laying this https://www.rvinyl.com/...ising-Sun-Vinyl.html over the top of those sections as way to visually refresh the frame.

That said, I tend to hang onto bikes for a long time, so I may not be a typical use case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan: any follow-up on this?
Quote Reply