Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forefoot running shoes
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily talking about minimalist 'natural' running shoes, but are there any shoes that are actually designed for forefoot runners these days?

Just got thinking about it after looking at some Hokas and seeing them talk about the design allowing optimal roll through from the heel landing to stepping off again. Even the Newton shoes now say something about them - they seem to have completely shifted from their forefoot roots to try and have mass appeal.

I've always run in Newtons previously and I do naturally run towards the front of my foot, even on long runs. Not on my toes, but mid to front of foot. However, I'm always a bit frustrated with their shoes as the sizing of the shoe seems to be different on almost every new pair I buy.

So I wanted to see what other options there are, if there are shoes that are actually designed for running on the front of foot or failing that, which shoes are best for forefoot runners? (Not that I know what would make a shoe better for forefoot running, but obviously rolling through from a heel strike landing is a very different motion to forefoot running).

I've tried various On shoes several times, but they absolutely destroy my feet for some reason, just don't work for me, however much I would like them to.

(This is not a thread about the pros / cons of forefoot running).
Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [Chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you would want to just look at a neutral, cushioned shoe with a lower heel drop ( difference in the heel height to forefoot height).
Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saucony Kinvara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a big Nike Zoom Fly 3 fan.

I have a forefoot strike - I wish the shoes didn’t wear down for me so quickly though. It could be my strike and weight.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a similar experience with On running shoes and just like you I desperately wanted to like them. So far the saucony iso freedoms have been the best overall shoe I've found for my style of running which sounds like it's quite similar to yours. I have also had luck with salming and the skechers razor 3.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
I think you would want to just look at a neutral, cushioned shoe with a lower heel drop ( difference in the heel height to forefoot height).

Altra? Or Topo?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My runs in and loves Active 88s from Active Imprints. These are by Newton founder Danny Abshire.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also forefoot strike. I only wear Hokas. Bondi 6 for regular mileage. Carbon X feels nice for speed days.

It seems backwards to wear the Bondis, which are built for heel strikers to roll forward, but I've found that the support in the midfoot and forefoot to be adequate. Just works for me.

For reference, I started endurance training last year. 0 to 25 mpw with slow, steady progressions. No injuries to speak of.
Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [soslow1387] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are Bondis (or any Hoka) designed for heel striking? Ok - the Clifton Edge and Tennine I'll give you but that's different.

They say the Meta rocker does something like 'roll from impact to toe off'. My guess would be that Hoka design for mid foot striking. Personally I tend to fore/mid foot strike and I like having cushioning up front which is why I like Cliftons. I suspect rolling from a flat foot through to toe off is what the rocker is supposed to do and most of us will run that way regardless of how you strike. Run in what's comfortable rather than what fits your mind's model of how you run.
Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The beveled heel edge, Meta Rocker tech, and generally excessive cushioning are why Bondis and other Hokas are commonly recommended for heel strikers.

That's why I say it is a bit backwards for me to use it since I definitely don't heel strike. Just works really well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another forefoot striker here. Altra Escalantes 1.5s were solid, but the upper never seemed to hold well making the shoe feel sloppy for turns or anything remotely fast. However, I have yet to try the updated Escalante racer they put out. No longer a special edition shoe so should be easier to grab

The New Balance Rebel that was introduced last year is awesome and has been my racing and fast training session go-to. The lateral portion of the outsole flares maybe 0.5 cm out to help with the roll from forefoot to the toes. This adds a bit more control as well since underpronation seems to occur to a greater extent in forefoot strikers. Great shoe for high intensity. I usually wear them sockless for training/racing as the upper does a decent job of wrapping around your foot

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Are Bondis (or any Hoka) designed for heel striking? Ok - the Clifton Edge and Tennine I'll give you but that's different.

They say the Meta rocker does something like 'roll from impact to toe off'. My guess would be that Hoka design for mid foot striking. Personally I tend to fore/mid foot strike and I like having cushioning up front which is why I like Cliftons. I suspect rolling from a flat foot through to toe off is what the rocker is supposed to do and most of us will run that way regardless of how you strike. Run in what's comfortable rather than what fits your mind's model of how you run.

Yes, the Hoka bondis have a massive heel cushion that allows you to pound away on heel striking without caution.

Do this barefoot, and you'll fracture your rearfoot!

I went full-out forefoot striking while barefoot running but ankle arthritis has forced me to go back into my clunkier cushioned shoe ways. I'm pretty sure I'm paying a small speed penalty for the cushion compared to minimalist.
Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Zissou wrote:

Altra? Or Topo?

Altras are great, Zero drop.

I haven’t tried the Topos, but they appear to be similar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the input everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another vote for Altras. They were a revelation for me. I’m using the escalante now and they’re a bit more firm than I’d like, but in general the zero drop and foot shale work really well for me, as a wide foot, mid- to forefoot striker.
Quote Reply
Re: Forefoot running shoes [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had a look at the altra range. i'm guessing the torin 4.5 plush for every day running and the escalante 2 for faster sessions. they look good and i like some of 'innovations'.

the wide front of them and the idea of zero drop for reducing injuries/ running more 'naturally' seem good.

i'd be a bit nervous going from running in zero drop every day to then using the alphafly's or next%'s for racing though (which seem like the only race day option now in order to be competitive - or at least, the benefit of them is such that they can't be ignored for racing, but too expensive to use everyday).

which is the other option i've been considering - going for the shoe which is the most similar but more economically viable training version of the alphafly's or next%'s, rather than a specific forefoot shoe.
Quote Reply