Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen?
Quote | Reply
Been training for First Iron Man for 11 months, want to race in 2020- Grand Rapids -Cancelled-signed up for Chattanooga- now cancelled, deferral options looking bleak ( Texas )

looking at Grand Floridian -realize Florida is on hot list for COVID, they seem most likely to let a race happen. I did 1/2 there years ago, I know its a tough venue

Any thoughts besides wait till next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was signed up to race the Intimidator 70.3 in March, also put on by Sommer Sports. I live about 2 hours away and drove up the day before for race check in. Halfway there I received the e-mail that the race was cancelled because the city pulled the permits. I ended up staying the night and made a good training day out of the trip; and Sommer Sports gave several options (defer to next year’s race, or use it towards entry into any of his races over the next year). I was very happy with how Sommer Sports communicated and handled the situation.

Sommer Sports has been putting on some sprint triathlons, but they are small events compared to the number of competitors for the GFT weekend. There may not be a lot of athletes entered into the full, but there are several shorter distance races happening concurrently. And it will require many more volunteers as well. That is a lot of people in one place.

My thought (pure speculation) is that if the RESIDENTS of Florida (including me) can grow up and take responsibility instead of blaming government and get this virus under control - maybe. There is enough time for it to happen, but will we do it?

The GFT is a great race, it was my first 140.6. The swim is awesome, the bike is no-joke (~6,000 ft elev in short, punchy climbs), and the run is pancake flat. It is great for spectators, they can stay in one area and see you close to a dozen times during the race.

Good luck with your decision, it’s not an easy one. If you enter and it does get cancelled, are you willing to come to Clermont, FL next year to race it?
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't see why it wouldn't. The promoter has been doing races this summer and October is very far away.

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is it will happen. Clermont hasn't shut down his last two races. 2 more coming up. His longer events don't use closed roads so nothing unusual there. Swim in the lake, bike open roads with aid stations here and there and at halfway/transition/special needs turn around and do it again, run up and down the path that's open but roomy enough for the...20-30 competitors? I was planning on it but my buddy is getting married that same day.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
http://www.blueseventy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also to consider, yes Florida is a hot spot for the virus but Miami and south Florida I believe are skewing the numbers and making Florida look worse than it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Crash_Davis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - great thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far, Matt Russel and Justin Metzler are racing Clermont, GFT. With the PTO behind it now, this will be exciting. My wife and I are attending a wedding all day so we will have to miss it. It would be exciting to be standing on top of Sugarloaf, watching these guys hammer up it. Any other Pros that you know of racing?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
http://www.blueseventy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
So far, Matt Russel and Justin Metzler are racing Clermont, GFT. With the PTO behind it now, this will be exciting. My wife and I are attending a wedding all day so we will have to miss it. It would be exciting to be standing on top of Sugarloaf, watching these guys hammer up it. Any other Pros that you know of racing?

Where did you see that the PTO is now behind the race?


Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
Also to consider, yes Florida is a hot spot for the virus but Miami and south Florida I believe are skewing the numbers and making Florida look worse than it is.

This. I work in medical and am responsible for three covid isolation clinics. We aint found S@#T. Empty beds all over. The numbers others are reporting just don't add up. Unless south FL people are locked into cages together and getting infected over and over again the data doesn't make sense. And I mean, it is Floriduh so anything can happen but there is a good chance the race will happen if not just because its less repressive down here.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
timr wrote:
So far, Matt Russel and Justin Metzler are racing Clermont, GFT. With the PTO behind it now, this will be exciting. My wife and I are attending a wedding all day so we will have to miss it. It would be exciting to be standing on top of Sugarloaf, watching these guys hammer up it. Any other Pros that you know of racing?


Where did you see that the PTO is now behind the race?


Fred Sommers put out a call on FaceBook looking for homestays for pro athletes. But to be clear, they are racing the 1/3 GFT, not the full. FYI - he didn't say it was finalized yet, but the PTO is indicating they will put up $20K prize money.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 7, 20 6:40
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for the 2/3 distance at GFT this year - it will be my first time racing at the venue. (I was signed up for the 1/3 last year but a tropical storm blew in and the race was cancelled the morning of.)

Everything I'm seeing suggests it is going to happen this year - barring a tropical storm or hurricane. Communication from Sommer Sports has been good (I think) on their FaceBook page, including a post of the video from the Clermont City Council's vote to give them the final permit to let the race happen - see this https://www.facebook.com/...eos/786415232147260/.
Last edited by: mrfreeze: Oct 7, 20 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll happen between the work of Sommer Sports and on the pro side the PTO is pushing hard to get the pros back racing. They (shout to Meredith Kessler motivating the field to be there) just inserted and helped support a pro field at our Fall Huntington Triathlon last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I78viz-bo08

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Last edited by: Zach Ruble: Oct 7, 20 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt Russell Instagram page. He has a post on there. Justin Metzler announced on Instagram he is trying to get an invite to Daytona so plans on racing the Clermont to get more attention from the PTO. Here is Justin on PTO page.

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=mwevve6ibih5

Scroll over to video in link.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
http://www.blueseventy.com
Last edited by: timr: Oct 7, 20 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Zach Ruble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zach Ruble wrote:
It'll happen between the work of Sommer Sports and on the pro side the PTO is pushing hard to get the pros back racing. They (shout to Meredith Kessler motivating the field to be there) just inserted and helped support a pro field at our Fall Huntington Triathlon last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I78viz-bo08

Thank gawd for Meredith Kessler. I know someone will call me out for the "hit-and-run" but on the basis of things Meredith has done a lot for pros.


Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's happening this Saturday with 549 currently registered for all the events. Sign-up roster follows. The sprint and 1/3 GFT are by far the most popular, but the ultra still can't compete. I thought more would do the full if it were the only game in town, but with IMFL happening two weeks later, the GFT lost the benefit of potential spill-over. FYI - the GFT starts at 7:30am and the last event (sprint tri) starts at 10am.

EVENT NAMENUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
1/3 Distance GFT - PTO PRO RACE 26
140.6 Full Distance Ultra National Championship 97
2/3 Distance GFT 20
1/3 Distance GFT 155
Long Distance Duathlon 22Ultra Distance Aquabike 8
2/3 Distance Aquabike 4
1/3 Distance Aquabike 21
Ultra Distance 2-3 Person Relay 3
2/3 2-3 Person Relay 0
1/3 2-3 Person Relay 7
2.4 Mile Open Water Swim 26
9 Person Full Distance Relay 0
Sprint Triathlon 160
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 22, 20 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
It's happening this Saturday with 549 currently registered for all the events. Sign-up roster follows. The sprint and 1/3 GFT are by far the most popular, but the ultra still can't compete. I thought more would do the full if it were the only game in town, but with IMFL happening two weeks later, the GFT lost the benefit of potential spill-over. FYI - the GFT starts at 7:30am and the last event (sprint tri) starts at 10am.

EVENT NAMENUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
1/3 Distance GFT - PTO PRO RACE 26
140.6 Full Distance Ultra National Championship 97
2/3 Distance GFT 20
1/3 Distance GFT 155
Long Distance Duathlon 22Ultra Distance Aquabike 8
2/3 Distance Aquabike 4
1/3 Distance Aquabike 21
Ultra Distance 2-3 Person Relay 3
2/3 2-3 Person Relay 0
1/3 2-3 Person Relay 7
2.4 Mile Open Water Swim 26
9 Person Full Distance Relay 0
Sprint Triathlon 160

Is there a list of participants in the pro race?


Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This link should take you to the pro list: https://runsignup.com/...40163&perPage=50
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This link should take you to the pro list: https://runsignup.com/...40163&perPage=50


Female Pro:

  • Lisa Becharas

  • Sarah Bishop

  • Danielle Dingman

  • Holli Finneren

  • Lara Gruden

  • Ginger Howell

  • Tamara Kozulina

  • Laura Mathews

  • Elizabeth Nyitray

  • Lenny Ramsey

  • Jeanni Seymour

  • Jennifer Spieldenner

  • Danielle Vsetecka

  • Grace Walther

Male Pro:

  • Elliot Bach

  • Nicholas Chase

  • Benjamin Kanute

  • Chris Leiferman

  • Andre Lopes

  • Justin Metzler

  • Timothy O'Donnell

  • Tim Rea

  • Matthew Russell

  • Jarrod Shoemaker

  • Ted Treise

  • Bradley Weiss


____________________________________________________________________________________________
2021 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship, in St. George, Utah, USA on 17 - 18 September 2021 |--| IRONMAN LAKE PLACID 2021 |--| EAGLEMAN 70.3 2021
Last edited by: LifeTri: Oct 22, 20 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any results?

I just did a google search and didn't see anything posted on their site.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Any results?

I just did a google search and didn't see anything posted on their site.

https://www.teamusa.org/...HHLtHqMsarv1XKVvTQew
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Any results?

I just did a google search and didn't see anything posted on their site.

Or...

https://runsignup.com/...d-224454;perpage:100
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Any results?


I just did a google search and didn't see anything posted on their site.


Missed the front page I see ;P

https://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Leiferman_Seymour_Victorious_at_30th_Great_Floridian_7801.html

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian -Crazy to think it will happen? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha fair...

I generally just hop on straight to the forums
Quote Reply