Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Join Me on a Ride thru Kabul 09 [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly one of us didn't understand the response, and having read it again, I still dont
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I work in self-driving military vehicles, and this just shows how challenging that will be in the wild. (a self-driving car would be like a lamb to the slaughter for most of the stuff you were worried about, except loss of life).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
and I'm interested Windy

when was the last time you drove in a car thru Kabul?

Never (you know that) but I had more excitement driving on the highway here last night what with the accidents ' car fires and shootings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, Steve!

I always liked seeing the perspective of someone on the ground versus what I was seeing at 300 feet AGL and 135 knots (KIAS). It may appear boring to the layperson, but I don't think that they can appreciate all that's going on while we're driving or flying. I remember wearing myself out trying to scan for every possible threat or obstacle and having the best sleep of my life when I got back to the FOB just out of shear mental exhaustion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it. Always great to see other places.

I think we have an image of nothing but torn down buildings but it looks deceptively safe and "normal" which I'm sure it never did for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Me on a Ride thru Kabul 09 [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what Kabul looks like from the air (helo) as you're flying into NKC.

We had a couple aerostats (giant zepplin like baloons) up with powerful camera systems on them. You could see their camera feed in our JOC. A lot of time the cameras were pointed at the girls around the pool at the US Embassy compound

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason it looks bigger than I imagined and not very nice from that view. It looks like everything is packed in and not a lot of green space. I picture driving through that city in a vehicle, lots of places for bad guys to hide on roof tops and alley ways and not knowing enemy from friend. That would keep you on your toes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Just a drive from NKC out to ISAF HQ at the airport. Our main worry is sticky/magnetic bombs put on our vehicle while stuck in traffic

Didn't the Israelis/Mossad use that tactic in Iran vs the nuclear scientists?
Quote Reply
Re: Join Me on a Ride thru Kabul 09 [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been there multiple times over the years. Driven thru Kabul multiple times over the years. In general it's pretty safe. Our main concern--when driving in our armored behemoths--was magnetic/sticky bombs place on our vehicles by someone on a moto.

Some great street food. Much like Iraq. Much like Vietnam. All the garden spots my Country has sent me. Of them all someday I'd love to take my wife back to Vietnam to see some of the things I've seen. Wonderful people. Beautiful country.

There are some places up on N Afghan I'd love to go to someday. I've only viewed them via UAV footage but it's like the Tetons or Sierra. Beautiful mountains and flowing streams. Good trout fishing

One time we zapped this really bad guy but he must have been wearing a armored vest as he lived thru the blast. We watched him for days as they loaded him up---initially on a door and later on a stretcher. It was a very impressive effort. They carried him for days towards Pakistan. We took note of where they went and who they stopped with. Just before he got back into Pakistan----zipp Missle #2. Great scenery tho.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply

Prev Next