Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Tom Demmerly: How do you like your new aerobars?
Quote | Reply
Are we going to see a review of them? How do they compare to the HEDs you loved last year? Any problems? How is availability?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tom Demmerly: How do you like your new aerobars? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SHhhhhhhh. That was supposed to be (somewhat) of a secret.

My new aerobars are the Easton Attack. I'm doing the "2,000 mile" test on them.

How do I like them? Man, I love them. You can tell becasue they are still on my bike going to Ironman.

Pros: Mega stiff, perfect angles and bends for me (this is an admittedly individual thing, but for me PERFECT!), nice sizing, excellent elbow pads, beautiful, no, BEAUTIFUL! finish, good strong return springs in the brake levers, nice rubber grips. Great for climbing and in the aero position. They can be used with any 26.0 stem. I like that a lot.

Cons: Never did get the correct brake levers from Easton depsite four phone calls. Bars were originally shipped with two "right" brake levers. There is a seperate right and left lever. The return spring assembly is a triffle complex, you must follow the instructions, which are very good. The "anchor" for the return spring is fragile. One of mine is already broken. Overall, the very nice but slightly complex brake lever assembly seems to be the "Achilles heel". Vey little provision for adjustment- only elbow pad width. They either fit you or they don't. Realistically, that could also be a "Pro" in my book, but you can;t even cut these to length because of the shifter mounts. Like I say, they either fit you or they don't. They are pretty expensive too, but they absolutely are worth it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tom Demmerly: How do you like your new aerobars? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your the only one I know of besides myself who has a pair so was wondering what you thought. Ditto on all of your experiences--I ended up doing some drilling to get the brake levers on as I got two lefts. Spring is indeed worrisome, and I needed to do some serious "flushing" of the inside of the bars to get the cables thru.

That being said, they are the stiffest things I've ever ridden, and yes, the best looking bars on the market (though I wish they came w/a choice of grip colors).

Aerowise (like it really matters): quite a bit more frontal area than the HEDs yes? Still, the comfort in both drop & upright positions more than makes up for it IMHO.

mdo

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tom Demmerly: How do you like your new aerobars? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you guys could have traded levers. Just a Q on frontal area of bars. Since any air passing past the bars hits you squarely in the stomach, does it really matter that much how aero that area is? It seems the area that matters the most, would be the area at the end of the bars that sits out there in the wind and the rest is no big deal. Perhaps this is why a bottle up there and whatever other garbage you wish to put up front isn't all that bad as it's a zero loss/gain area. Kind of like chainrings as well. With those big ole feet flopping in circles, does the air become so disturbed in that area that chainrings become a zero as well. The nice thing about Hed and Easton is the tiny levers at the end. Just a thought.
Quote Reply
I have these bars sitting on my desk right now... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my order from trisports.com came today. They are truly a piece of work. They are beautiful! Now to get them installed on my new P3 which is sitting in Tom's shop right now.....

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tom Demmerly: How do you like your new aerobars? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those bars do look beautiful. The upturn at the ent of the aerobars looks awfully long from the photo. Am I correct about the length and the inability to shorten it?
Quote Reply
What is everyone doing for a computer mount? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trisports says the supplier is out of stock with no date. Suggested a Syntace mount. But the odd shaped bar makes me think the Easton mount will be the only one to work perfectly. Anyone have a line on it? Regarding the bar length..the bar end grip seems a little longer than I'm used to but I think it's an illusion due to the thickness of the carbon. The curve seems more pronounced than it really is. Seems very comfortable sitting on my desk. HArdly real world but I have no concerns yet. Will keep you posted...

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: What is everyone doing for a computer mount? [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A customized Nob computer mount works fine. I have one on my bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply