Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Comfortable saddle for wife, road bike
Quote | Reply
My wife is fairly new to road riding. She rides the Peloton several times a week with no issue. She has an entry level steel road bike but is not comfortable in the saddle after more than a half hour. I would like to help her find a saddle that is comfortable for her. Ironically the shape of her road bike saddle is very similar to the Peloton, but it is not working.

I am looking for suggestions on how to find a comfortable saddle for her road bike. I checked her position on the bike and it seems like it fits her very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Comfortable saddle for wife, road bike [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best thing I did was go to a bike shop, sit on a foamy thing, measured my butt size then did trial and error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddles are super personal. I'd see if you can get her in to a professional fitter first, to make sure it is set up 100% correctly. Be ready and willing to have conversation she'd normally save for a night with girlfriends. Seriously. Have her check out thi article: https://totalwomenscycling.com/...dles-ask-innie-outie

The Peleton is more like a spin bike, so you spend time standing, etc. Her position on a road bike will likely be more aggressive, so hips tilted slightly more forward, can't really "sit up" straight.

Some things to look for:
- "just right" padding on the saddle - because padding in the wrong places just squishes into the wrong places
- good padded cycling shorts that fit properly. They need to fit snug all the way into the crotch area, loose fabric slides around and causes chaffing, plus the padding doesn't stay where it is supposed to be
- maybe a cutout - but see the article above regarding that

Tossing all this aside - I've found that a saddle I could count on for "road geometry" riding was a Terry Butterfly. Looking at them now, I'd consider some of their other models too http://www.terrybicycles.com/...s/Womens-Performance

Finally - there is a company in Herndon VA (SportFit Lab) that lets you "rent" saddles to try them out before you buy. They take the cost of the rental away if you purchase - so it's a pretty sweet deal. You can have a few out at once, so you can try / swap and see which one is best.

http://www.sportfit-lab.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend loves the specialized power mimic. They also have an either 60 or 90 day no questions asked return period for saddles, so very little risk to try. Heard similar good things from most women I know who have tried it as well. I'd start there, second thing I'd try is an ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed with @mtrichick
"Be ready and willing to have conversation she'd normally save for a night with girlfriends."

Find out where she is experiencing discomfort, then you have more direction:

- a wider saddle or a middle cut-out (pain or numbness in her ladytaint),
- a narrower saddle (thigh chafing),
- a split nose (pinching/chafing of labia),
- wider, split or more padded nose (pain or numbness because things are being squashed against pubic bone).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selle SMP Avant.

Will second the "it's personal" though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comfortable saddle for wife, road bike

So which is it? A saddle for your road bike? Or a saddle for your wife?

If it's the latter, maybe the LR may be more helpful and less judgemental.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does she have big pastrami flaps? Or small lips?
Quote Reply
Re: Comfortable saddle for wife, road bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at least you didn't ask "what's her crank length?" this time...
Quote Reply
Re: Comfortable saddle for wife, road bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Great Wall of Vagina

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terry Butterfly tri-gel .....on all of my bikes- road, tri, mtn, and fat. It's very individual, but that saddle has worked for me for 20 years- 16ims no problem. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Comfortable saddle for wife, road bike [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
Terry Butterfly tri-gel .....on all of my bikes- road, tri, mtn, and fat. It's very individual, but that saddle has worked for me for 20 years- 16ims no problem. Good luck!

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd give a +1 to Cobb saddles – wife rode one for a while on her tri bike. Also Selle Italia – they have a good selection of women's saddles, and they make great cutout saddles, and Specialized also make great saddles for women. Maybe even an ISM saddle? I find eBay and used can be a good place to try new saddles and sell ones that don't work – you can even get a few to try, and then if you need to sell off ones that don't work, they retain decent value. While it may be a bit of a process to find the right saddle, I'm sure that she will value the time that you put into it – finding a great saddle is such a powerful "aha!" moment with a first road bike.
Quote Reply