Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift?
Quote | Reply
Hi all

I am doing damage to my frame in the inside of the chainring. I'm on a mechanical 2x10 Shimano 105. Rotor chainring 53-38 and 160 mm Rotor cranks. It is a carbon Felt IA10 frame, and it is very damaged now.

I do most of my training indoors, and drop my chain almost daily. I use a dumb Cycleops magnetic trainer with Zwift.

I notice the programs sometimes ask me to jump from, say, 250 watts at 60 rpm, to 115 w and 85 rpm, or sometimes to hold say 230 watts, but jumping between 60 rpm to 100 rpm.

This means I should use my front derailleur a lot, since obviously I cannot control my resistance without shifting, and sometimes even going through the 10 speeds I cannot achieve the combination the program asks me.

I'm guessing this is causing the chain to drop, I've checked and without load it shifts pefectly, no rubbing or touching chain even with a crossed chain. I know I should not do this, but sometimes I cannot find the right combination of power/cadence without crossing it, I don't know if that is also a cause for dropped chain in the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checking the obvious - is your L-limit screw set correctly?
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once had a similar issue in that my chain would drop off the inside of the cranks.
Found that I had destroyed my DS bearing in the BB so the crank would wobble when pedalling.
Honestly could feel a thing but would constantly drop the chain unless I stopped pedalling, shift down and then slowly start pedalling again with no load.

Anyway, something to check
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I checked the limits, and looks fine. It shifts ok without me pedaling, it just happens when the big jumps occur.
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not felt wiggle or something loose, but I will check again, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to shift the front derailleur at full cadence can cause it to get more 'thrown' than 'dropped' to the smallest ring.

Slow down your cadence really slow and shift

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a chain catcher (like K-Edge) to help prevent the frame damage from chain drops. I've had no issues since I started using them years ago.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A chain catcher is a great idea (l use them on select bikes too), but their biggest function/advantage is to catch the chain when it wants to come off from road shocks. But your bike isn't even on the road.

The bottom line is that your FD is clearly out of adjustment (or damaged?) because the rapid shifts you describe should not cause your chain to come off.

My guess is that your FD needs serious tuning. In addition to checking both of the limit screws, l would also check the FD height relative to your big chainring and the FD cage angle also relative to your big chainring. Directions on the exact limits and specs of all of these adjustments are in the shimano installation manual (look at the one specific to your 10 speed 105 FD).

Good luck and report back on how it goes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jul 5, 20 5:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started getting chain drops when my 105 RD was getting worn. I replaced the RD, and have not had a chain drop since. My theory is that the bearings get a little worn, and the RD does not take up the chain slack as well during a FD shift and the chain slap leads to a drop. I don't have science, but that was my personal experience with chain drops on my TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For future reference, you may not need to replace your RD so early in its life. I'm not 100% positive for the 105 RDs, but many (most?) Shimano RDs have a small tuning option for the jockey wheel cage spring. If you remove the jockey wheel cage from the body of the RD parallelogram, you will see that the chain tensioning spring has two options (two holes in the cage) where it holds the jockey wheel cage under tension, and so tensions the chain. Shimano RDs come from the factory at the lower spring tension, but it is an easy fix/adjustment to put the spring end in the other hole, which slightly ups the jockey wheel cage tension and increases your chain tension.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Check L-limit screw on FD. Others have clearly mentioned this already, but I'd also add that you should de-tension the FD cable first (just to make sure that your L-limit screw is actually set properly.

2. Check your chain 'stretch'. A worn chain will easily cause this problem.

3. It could be (but less likely), Chainring wear, bearings, rear derailleur.

Chain catchers can help (I've used them as a margin of safety for frames with tight clearance), but a properly set up drivetrain should rarely drop chains under normal operating circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your 2 points above. I was coming at it from the POV after you have dealt with the obvious adjustments and still getting mystery drops.
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur dropping chain - Or I don't know how to shift? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have qxl rings you need these https://www.sigmasports.com/...r-Extension-Kit/3HKY if you have q rings you might need them. On my Scott plasma 5 i had that issue and this solved it.
Quote Reply