Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why are US chips so boring [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
This past Christmas our son got us all a subscription to these quarterly Yum boxes of snacks. Once a quarter the box of snacks comes from Yums and it's representative of some country or geographical part of world. We've had boxes of snacks from: Philippines, Scandinavia--and most recently England. One of the snacks from England was this bag of chips that were "Mint and Lamb" flavored. No wonder we fought for our Independence from such a depraved country that would attempt to foist such a horrible snack upon the world. Blech :-(

Haha.. see my post above.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are US chips so boring [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
In netherlands the flavors are 99% parprika or salt , cheese onion although some gourmet flavors appeared this year... Wasabi ginger, balsamic, green thai curry etc...and theres a good yellow curry and onion one

Doritos are now called Cool American flavour in our house
Quote Reply
Re: Why are US chips so boring [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someday I'd love to take a moto tour of the British Isles. Starting up at John o Groats in Scotland then working my way south--back and forth, or maybe in a big circle so over to Wales as well. It is my heritage. I've been to UK several times but only on business. Would love touristing about the place some day. Once they let us diseased Americans back in i guess

take good care

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Someday I'd love to take a moto tour of the British Isles. Starting up at John o Groats in Scotland then working my way south--back and forth, or maybe in a big circle so over to Wales as well. It is my heritage. I've been to UK several times but only on business. Would love touristing about the place some day. Once they let us diseased Americans back in i guess

take good care

Depending on your love of history (so for you high) you could easily do three months or more driving a tour. You're retired go do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are US chips so boring [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our own Country is so amazingly awesome and there is so much to see here. So touristig abroad is kind of a back burner thing i think about. If I do leave the USA to tourist about my personal priority would be:

1. England, Scotland Wales
2. Ride the ALCAN up thru Canada to Alaska
3. Rome to see the Vatican and ruins from the old empire.
4. New Zealand (trout fishing).

but there is just so much to see and do here in our own Country

Wife and I have talked about using mil retirement benefits. We can fly "Space Available" on any TRANSCOM aircraft (C17, etc) headed to Europe or wherever--for free. Just have to wait for space on a flight. So out of Charleston or Baltimore probably.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Why are US chips so boring [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
You never heard of chips and salsa? Did you think they were giving you potato chips?

There is a place here that does nachos with their own homemade giant potato chips. Best nachos ever.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Our own Country is so amazingly awesome and there is so much to see here. So touristig abroad is kind of a back burner thing i think about. If I do leave the USA to tourist about my personal priority would be:

1. England, Scotland Wales
2. Ride the ALCAN up thru Canada to Alaska
3. Rome to see the Vatican and ruins from the old empire.
4. New Zealand (trout fishing).

but there is just so much to see and do here in our own Country

Wife and I have talked about using mil retirement benefits. We can fly "Space Available" on any TRANSCOM aircraft (C17, etc) headed to Europe or wherever--for free. Just have to wait for space on a flight. So out of Charleston or Baltimore probably.

We don't have the history though. I've been in pubs older than the US and churches people you've read about built. Bonus in the UK you can double dip and get some Roman ruins (although once you've been to Italy and seen them only Bath and Hadrian's wall still stand up).

You have two feet of height to spare if they let you carry on a winnebago as your "personal item" on a C17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like some flavored chips, like Tim's jalapeno, but my favorites are plain chips and dip or salsa.

I mean, when restaurants serve chips and salsa, they don't use flavored chips. The great flavor is in the salsa, not artificially added to the chips.

I'm the same with potato chips. I like Lay's classic or ruffles with dip.

Flavored chips are just additional processing and artificial flavorings.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are US chips so boring [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
I like some flavored chips, like Tim's jalapeno, but my favorites are plain chips and dip or salsa.

I mean, when restaurants serve chips and salsa, they don't use flavored chips. The great flavor is in the salsa, not artificially added to the chips.

I'm the same with potato chips. I like Lay's classic or ruffles with dip.

Flavored chips are just additional processing and artificial flavorings.

If you can find Jay's brand (Midwest but got bought out) you will never eat lays regular or ruffles ridges again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just reiterating Tayto cheese and onion are really fucking good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twiglets rule!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rereading this thread reminded me that the Brits have the worst chip flavours.

Also I would never call corn chips and salsa "chips and salsa". They are, of course, nachos and salsa.

But corn chips are indeed chips.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Why are US chips so boring [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can find them, Tapatio Doritos are awesome.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

False
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Also I would never call corn chips and salsa "chips and salsa". They are, of course, nachos and salsa.

But corn chips are indeed chips.

Incorrect. Nachos require at minimum a melted cheese topping.
Quote Reply

Prev Next