Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BB Pros- Need your Help!
Quote | Reply
Here is what I am dealing with:

2020 QR Five
Press Fit BB Shell in picture, 41mm
Rotor BB30 Ceramic Bearing Set

Shell does not seem to have a groove for the circlips. How do I keep the bearings from being pressed in too far? They did not come with any dust sleeve.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you looking at the BB shell or an empty Pressfit30 cup?

A pressfit30 has the bearings already pressed into cups. Those cups are then pressed into the BB shell.

According to everything I've read you don't replace the bearings in a pressfit30 cup.

But...I have done it. It's just difficult to get the bearings out of an aluminum PF30 cup. You then need to prep the cups with primer and locktite.
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The photo I sent is a plastic shell in the frame. The stock praxis bearings were a screw type bearing assembly that were press fit into this shell. The bearings I have from Rotor were just bearings, no shell or dust caps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see any photo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your photo did not attach.

I don't know any specifics about the QR bottom bracket type, but a BB shell that measures 41mm is not BB30:

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards

From the limited info you have provided I'm guessing the frame is BB86 not BB30. But I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with specific QR info.
Last edited by: Nelo: Jul 3, 20 13:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You trying to put these in the frame?

Your QR is PF
Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Jul 3, 20 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mistake, it is measuring 41.70 mm.
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes similar to those. Don’t know why my pic is not attaching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s your problem
You need PF the bearings are in the cups and they get pressed in the the shell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The QR bikes use a PF30 bottom bracket, which is different than a BB30. BB30 is for a 42mm ID bottom bracket shell and the bearing is pressed directly into the BB shell, with circlip installed.

PF30 is a 46mm ID bottom bracket shell; The bearings are set in a plastic or aluminum cup that is then pressed into the BB shell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what you don’t have

Get something with aluminum cups not plastic
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying my computer to upload the picture. The shell in this picture measures 41.70 mm. I am clearly missing something, but 46mm is not possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying again with the picture... sorry... just could not get it small enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is what I am seeing an adapter of some kind? The outer dimension is 46.94mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're seeing the Pressfit30 cup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2019 QR PRFive and it uses a PF30 (46mm ID BB shell). I bought and installed this BB: https://mybikeshop.com/...bracket-68-92mm.html. It is possible they changed their BB standard for the 2020 model. Unfortunately Quintana Roo doesn't list this BB standard information on their website. You could ask the people at Mybikeshop.com on their web chat. They are very responsive and sell a lot of QR's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this, but what I am struggling with is the plastic shell that is inside the frame after the Praxis M30 bearing set which had a screw together shell was removed. I finally got a picture uploaded a few strings above. It is a single piece and it has an ID of ~41.8 mm, not 46mm that everyone thinks it should be.

It appears adhered to the frame and not to be pushed out. A set of BB30 bearings easily can be pressed into this shell, but it does not have stops and I can’t tell exactly where they should sit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jayjuno wrote:
Thank you for this, but what I am struggling with is the plastic shell that is inside the frame after the Praxis M30 bearing set which had a screw together shell was removed. I finally got a picture uploaded a few strings above. It is a single piece and it has an ID of ~41.8 mm, not 46mm that everyone thinks it should be.

It appears adhered to the frame and not to be pushed out. A set of BB30 bearings easily can be pressed into this shell, but it does not have stops and I can’t tell exactly where they should sit.

The black part is the Delrin PF sleeve from the Praxis BB. Shown as #4 here: https://praxiscycles.com/...30.BB-PF30.REVB_.pdf

It is supposed to go in with grease. Have you tried tapping it out using a punch against one of the holes in the sleeve? I can’t think of any glue that would stick solidly to Delrin. Maybe it was installed with Loctite bearing retainer fluid which essentially is a void filler. Maybe a little heat from hair dryer or heat gun if it doesn’t just tap out?
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Jayjuno wrote:

The black part is the Delrin PF sleeve from the Praxis BB. Shown as #4 here: https://praxiscycles.com/...30.BB-PF30.REVB_.pdf

It is supposed to go in with grease. Have you tried tapping it out using a punch against one of the holes in the sleeve? I can’t think of any glue that would stick solidly to Delrin. Maybe it was installed with Loctite bearing retainer fluid which essentially is a void filler. Maybe a little heat from hair dryer or heat gun if it doesn’t just tap out?

Those can be pretty tight. We were using Praxis BBs a few years back, and it usually took a bit of effort to get those sleeves out. A punch in one of the holes will work, I usually used a Park RT-2 headset remover. Once you get one end out about 1/2", past the raised end section, you could usually just pull it out by hand...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: BB Pros- Need your Help! [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo! That is it! Thank you very much. Would have never found it based on the name of that thing!

I haven’t tried tapping it out but will give it a shot. Now I see how I get to PF with ID 46.

Thank you all for bearing with me!!
Quote Reply