Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outboard motor help
Quote | Reply
Have a fairly new (3 yr old) Tahtsu 6hp motor for my dinghy. Starts and runs fine. Once I start it and let it warm up for a few minutes if I turn the throttle all the way down the engine shuts off. Need to keep it revved a bit which is okay but when I put it in gear, it jerks the dinghy forward. Almost fell into the water when I tried it tonight. Wonder if the carburator is fouled a bit? Is there an additive I can add to the gas to clean the carb. Would rather do that than take the carb apart.
Quote Reply
Re: Outboard motor help [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pull start or electric? Does it start quickly?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has to be something carburetor related. Go to any auto parts store there are gas additives for carburetor cleaning. Does the outboard use straight gas or mix?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First check your idle settings. You may just be able to turn a screw to raise the idle rpm.

Check your fuel filter too.

Could be a sticky or broken AIS valve (automatic idle speed). If so, best just to replace it as it could stick again in the future.

Could be a dirty carb too.

Replace the fuel if it’s old, after above troubleshooting.

I have the opposite problem... will run at idle but won’t throttle up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like shitty fuel.
Do you treat your fuel?
Ethonal additives are no good for those types of motors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be a lot of things. First, run some Sea Foam through the gas to clean up the fuel system. Second, don’t run any ethanol gas through it, it’s sucks up moisture and can mess with carburetor parts especially if your fuel pump is a diaphragm design. How old is the gas? If it’s more than six months old and you didn’t use Sta-bil get rid of it and start new. Change your spark plugs and don’t run cheap ass 2 stroke oil. Oily, greasy spark plugs don’t like to fire. Find some good full synthetic oil and be careful about proper mixture. It could be that the low idle screw needs to be increased to keep running. I don’t have any knowledge of the type of carburetor the motor has but it could just be an idle screw adjustment on the carburetor maybe running too rich. It could also be the timing is too retarded for when you shift into gear. Like I said, lots of things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, completely change the fuel out for new.

Use some high-test for the new and add Sea Foam, best stuff that I've seen. If it's the carb right now, you flush it and use Sea Foam and it'll be running like new.
Quote Reply
Re: Outboard motor help [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:
Sounds like shitty fuel.
Do you treat your fuel?

My lawn mower says no ethenol. Good luck finding gas around here without ethenol added.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuel additive and run a tank of premium gas and it’ll get better. Just did the same today on my Yamaha 9.9hp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a carb problem on the high side of the carb. Just looking through google, looks like a float style carb. You likely have the high side check plugged up somewhere or at the needle. The only way you will effectively correct this is to pull the carb off take it apart and clean it all out including a good jet cleaning. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a hard job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what was, said, just ticking the obvious box: make sure the fuel tank isn't vacuum locked.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 2, 20 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: Outboard motor help [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. Gas is new, emptied the tank last season and ran it dry before putting away. Was looking online for some solutions last night and saw there is a bleed valve to get any excess out of the carb after running dry at end of the season. Figured not bleeding it may have gummed up the carb.

Will try the Sea Foam first, if that doesn't work will pull the carb to clean. Although I'll wait until the end of the weekend. Going sailing for the weekend. Could see myself pulling the carb while at anchor and dropping it in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I found odd was, carb repair kits were 50 bucks and new carbs 100 bucks. Why not just buy a brand new carb! 50 bucks for a carb kit, that is highway robbery.
Quote Reply
Re: Outboard motor help [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Sounds like shitty fuel.
Do you treat your fuel?

My lawn mower says no ethenol. Good luck finding gas around here without ethenol added.

Shell premium. avgas or better yet alkylate fuel
Quote Reply