Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running with power, erg mode and structured training
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm really wanting to focus on good quality running workouts. I'm thinking of getting a power meter but not sure if there's the apps/ equipment out there to give me what i want. Im looking for something similar to the trainerroad experience but for running. Is there such a thing as a smart treadmill that will adjust the speed of the belt automatically like in erg mode on a trainer? Are there running apps like trainerroad that will give you structured run workouts based on ftp? How does training peaks calculate tss if you're using power instead of speed for your workouts? Can you even input a ftp for running on training peaks? How best to start on this journey of running with power? Any advice or tips most welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with power, erg mode and structured training [Boomwhacker1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, although Zwift could probably do it with those smart treadmills.

The closest I could get was to get a stryd pod and a good training plan. The stryd is worth it if you take the time to learn it right. The included app auto calculates FTP based on 5k time, or you can take their test, input your results and they'll spit you out an FTP based on a different algorithm.

As for training plans, Stryd has a good selection onboard the app. I use plans made by Steve Palladino (link to plans). There is an excellent stryd facebook group. The main coach is very active in the group and answers questions and interacts all day long.

If you really want to get deep, dive into the Palladino Power Project Facebook Group. The discussion there is so so so deep I usually can't follow it. They have built an amazing spreadsheet style tool that can calculate FTP, create race power plans, give you target power adjustments for humidity and indoor treadmill usage as well. It's a great place to learn about the physiology of running.

Steve does not private coach triathletes, but Scientific Triathlon has coaching and training plans for triathletes that include bike power and running power. I don't know much about him, but his athletes seem to do well and really enjoy their training.

I use a Palladino plan along with trainer road. Here's a link to a workout recorded with my stryd pod to give you an idea of what one looks like. Good luck and good training.
Quote Reply