Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Diverge Comp vs. Giant Defy Advanced 2
Quote | Reply
I've narrowed my bike selection down to these two bikes. Primarily paved road riding with occasional gravel. The Specialized Diverge Comp felt great and I didn't mind the 38MM tires. The Giant has 32MM with room up to 35MM; so the option to swap tires is appealing. Let me know which is the better bike between the two - I'm currently leaning towards the Giant. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge Comp vs. Giant Defy Advanced 2 [realest777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My primary road bike is a Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2019 model). I am considering a Diverge as well but only as a dedicated gravel bike. I have no real interest in changing out wheels hinging on what surface I am riding on. Reality is I will always ride on the road more than gravel based on where I live and access to gravel. I have been very pleased with the Defy and know several that have them and are pleased as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge Comp vs. Giant Defy Advanced 2 [realest777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a road bike and gravel bike, and 35 mm is not very wide for a gravel tire unless it’s pretty dang smooth. I run 42mm tires on my gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sound like the perfect candidate for an Exploro RaceMax. I have an budget do-anything bike (Fuji Gran Fondo) that I use mostly for gravel riding. It only fits some of the 38mm tires and, as we all know, the installed size of a tire is pretty random. Just like road tires, gravel tires and rims are getting wider, so any bike with limited tire width capacity is going to not be very future-proof.

If versatility and comfort are your thing, and you see yourself using this bike on gravel roads even 20% of the time, I would look at the 3t or maybe an Aspero. They are likeLy more versatile in the long run.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge Comp vs. Giant Defy Advanced 2 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or a Trek Domane, which will fit 38mm, per Trek, and easily a 42. I believe the new Diverge will fit 47’s.

My take is a gravel makes a perfectly fine road bike but now always the other way around. If you want true gravel capability, get a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge Comp vs. Giant Defy Advanced 2 [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2018 specialized diverge expert with pathfinder 38c tires. I ride this if the gravel is chunky or any chance of mud. The future shock also helps with very rough/washboard roads. This year I added a 2020 giant defy advanced pro 1 force etap. I’m running enve 4.5 wheels with Reneherse Bon Jon pass 35c slick tires. They actually measure close to 38 with the wide. This thing hauls ass on Minnesota gravel, which isn’t very chunky. On the road it doesn’t feel much slower than my tarmac with 28s, it is way faster than my diverge setup. I absolutely endorse the giant, unless your getting into single track or Dirty Kanza type gravel.
Quote Reply