Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed
Quote | Reply
Ok so I got a 2005 litespeed vortex with a mechanical dura ace And external routing. Thinking about upgrading it to Di2. Can this be done?
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you really want Di2, what about upgrading to eTap?

I have both Di2 and eTap, and I really like them both. I prefer eTap on a road bike, because I think it has a better shifting interface. And, if your frame has external cable routing, then eTap is way better. My road bike has external routing, and that was the primary reason I chose eTap over Di2. After getting it in place, I fell in love with the way it shifts.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve never used etap but you’re right might not have much choice here.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have both Di2 and eTap, and I really like them both. I prefer eTap on a road bike, because I think it has a better shifting interface. And, if your frame has external cable routing, then eTap is way better. My road bike has external routing, and that was the primary reason I chose eTap over Di2. After getting it in place, I fell in love with the way it shifts.

I have both also. I put eTap on a Ritchey Breakaway for ... obvious reasons, and it's worked out quite nicely there. So on a frame with external cable routing, I would say the decision is a no-brainer (eTap). If cassette compatibility is a concern, I've used Shimano cassettes with eTap, no problem.

I have eTap on a Madone also, and then Di2 on a different road bike and on TT bike. From a shifting perspective I like the Di2 a bit better, and also prefer the shape of the Shimano hoods for my hands. But yes, really they are both great (which becomes more apparent when I ride my winter bike with mechanical shifting)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could look for a titanium builder who has experience drilling holes in the frame. For example, perhaps Lynskey might be willing to consider this. One possible complication is that you’ve probably got a 6/4 titanium frame, and I don’t know if that’s harder to drill or machine than 3/2.5.

If it turns out to be impossible, then a contrarian opinion is just stick with mech shifting if you want to stay Shimano. I’ve got both. I like my Di2. It can do things that the mech group can’t. But I can easily live without it. The mech group shifts very nicely indeed. Or there’s eTap.

Maybe it’s worth mentioning that there are external Di2 systems available. Obviously these don’t look as neat.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
You could look for a titanium builder who has experience drilling holes in the frame. For example, perhaps Lynskey might be willing to consider this. One possible complication is that you’ve probably got a 6/4 titanium frame, and I don’t know if that’s harder to drill or machine than 3/2.5.

If it turns out to be impossible, then a contrarian opinion is just stick with mech shifting if you want to stay Shimano. I’ve got both. I like my Di2. It can do things that the mech group can’t. But I can easily live without it. The mech group shifts very nicely indeed. Or there’s eTap.

Maybe it’s worth mentioning that there are external Di2 systems available. Obviously these don’t look as neat.

I just finished my '04 Blade with full internal Di2. Drilled my own hole in the chainstay. Came out well with no issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
Ok so I got a 2005 litespeed vortex with a mechanical dura ace And external routing. Thinking about upgrading it to Di2. Can this be done?

TiCycles in Portland does exactly this (drilling holes for retrofitting)
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can drill the holes yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You can drill the holes yourself.

I'd much prefer to pay someone with years of experience to determine where and how to drill. Dave Levy at TiCycles charge $200 for this service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is easy.

How is easy.

$200 to drill three holes is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade mechanical to DI2 2005 litespeed [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Where is easy.

How is easy.

$200 to drill three holes is ridiculous.

It seems we value things differently, and that's okay. I value experience and knowledge.

Maybe for someone with the proper knowledge and tools, it's easy.

For a regular schmoe like me with neither, $200 isn't so bad. Moots charges even more, FWIW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drilled a ton of Lynskey frames because they used to charge $200.

It takes about 5 minutes.
Quote Reply