Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike Rotors vs. Mountain Bike Rotors
Quote | Reply
I have some extra Dura Ace rotors and SRAM XR Centerline rotors. I was going to add them to my mountain bike but then I started to wonder if they are designed for the same force as MTB rotors. I mainly ride XC not downhill. The description for the rotors mention gravel riding, which is good because I hae Dura Ace rotors on my gravel bike.

Quote | Reply
Road rotors run cooler for the size due to the added bade area in the centre.
The Shimano rotors are a sandwich construction with a core of alloy surrounded by stainless braking surface.
The core is extended on the road rotors for cooling so as to be able to run smaller rotors for aero using the on average much higher speeds to help cool the brakes.
They probably offer not as much advantage off road and have less braking power than a typical mtb rotor due to smaller size.
Run em if you want, they are the same thickness and compatible with mtb otherwise, but cost more than mtb rotors.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike Rotors vs. Mountain Bike Rotors [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dura-Ace rotors can be used on a mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike Rotors vs. Mountain Bike Rotors [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will fit and work , don’t be that guy with Dura Ace rotors on a MTB.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike Rotors vs. Mountain Bike Rotors [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it be ok to put Shimano mountain bike rotors on a road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike Rotors vs. Mountain Bike Rotors [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are not aero 😳
I have seen it, it’s fine, I must say the Dura Ace rotors look sweet on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike Rotors vs. Mountain Bike Rotors [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd clarify that only SOME are a sandwich of SS/Al/SS and/ or extend the cooling inwards towards the hub.

My 105 discs don't have any of that
'Icetech' stuff with cooling fins in the central portion of the rotor..they're fairly plain SS rotors just with a floating outer ring to reduce warping.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike Rotors vs. Mountain Bike Rotors [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My 105 discs don't have any of that
'Icetech' stuff with cooling fins in the central portion of the rotor..they're fairly plain SS rotors just with a floating outer ring to reduce warping"

What's the model number?
Quote Reply