Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Xmagicalelf
Re: Wetsuit Advice [Xmagicalelf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one that fits you best....

Honestly, for your first one go into a store and get fitted as you will get the wrong size if you buy online. For what it's worth, then over 20 years of wetsuits I've had mid and top end, and still today swap between the lastest and greatest' and some old mid level and my actual swim speed seems immune to what I'm wearing. Sure, they feel a bit different, in some cases they go on/off easier, but as a mid pack swimmer then they don't seem to change much for me. For you then it could well be different, and indeed as a swimmer you may find your technique has very different needs compared to your average triathlete (legs specifically).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another swammer, YES go for the one that fits you best. Which is very hard to do under the current world circumstances. Should the suits fit the same, then you can start considering different models. I think I read here once upon a time that the high end wetsuits aren't always the best option for swimmers (or...anyone) because the buoyancy benefit of the 'lower' models improves your body position regardless. I hope I didn't misunderstand that quote, as I wear a 2016 BlueSeventy Women's Reaction (B70's middle-high end) and I think it's perfect for me.

If it's a possibility (don't know Zone3's return policy or if you're going through a private party), can you order both and try them both on? That's what I'd recommend.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Advice [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:

If it's a possibility (don't know Zone3's return policy or if you're going through a private party), can you order both and try them both on? That's what I'd recommend.

Thing is that unless you've been fitted into a swimming wetsuit by someone that knows what they are doing, almost everyone is going to choose a size two big first time, even if they *think* they are getting one that is a little too tight.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Advice [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....so are you saying just don't buy one? She asked for advice, why not just share how they should fit?

Here's a few videos on fit. I'm sure there are better.
Triathlon Minds
GTN

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice was go into a store to be fitted. Right up there at top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most brands have pretty reliable size charts based on height and weight.

As stated, look at return policy, if you are nervous about fit. In normal times, you could try on some suits at an expo.

Your swimming ability will go a long way to determining which suit to get. If you are a strong swimmer, and level in the water, you might go for less neoprene and emphasize flexibility. If you are poor to mediocre swimmer, get the extra buoyancy. Most high end suits are targeted at the better swimmers. Be honest about what you need.

I’ve had suits from BlueSeventy, Roka and QR at all price points. I like them all. BlueSeventy seems to be the most comfortable and durable. The Roka suits are good too, and the customer service is excellent. The QR suit is a new product, but I think is the fastest of what I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
swim13 wrote:

Thing is that unless you've been fitted into a swimming wetsuit by someone that knows what they are doing, almost everyone is going to choose a size two big first time, even if they *think* they are getting one that is a little too tight.

This!!!! x10.

Unless you're familiar with swim wetsuits it is VERY easy to end up with too big a suit. Even what feels snug in a shop can start to wash water in at every stroke once swimming. I even nearly fell into that trap for me last suit about 3 or 4 years ago even though in thought I was wise to it.

If there is ANY way of demo-ing a suit or borrowing one of someone you know to try out, do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The challenge is few people live near a tri shop with more than one brand and multiple sizes in their brand. A wetsuit is almost a necessity online purchase.

OP email the companies you are considering directly. I traded emails with multiple business owners about size before I made my purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with the fit. Given your swim background you might even prefer a sleeveless. I know a lot of previously swimmers who preferred sleeveless. I wrote some general newbie wetsuit buying tips here if you are interested. With that being said, top end suits are nice and often times less restrictive. Assuming the suit is in good condition, the 5 year old top end suit is likely better

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think enough has already been said about fit.

In regards to older "high end" vs newer "entry level", I'd lean towards the entry level. The last two wetsuits I've gone through (b70 helix and Orca Sonar) are both relatively high end, and they were both outstanding to swim in. But, at the high end, the rubber in the shoulders tends to be really thin (to improve flexibility). The downside of the thinner material in that area is that these suits are more prone to getting micro tears in the rubber with only minimal use. The next suit I buy will be entry level so I don't have to worry so much about tearing up the rubber in the shoulder area.

If there's any way to get a good look at the forearm panels, that might be useful. One thing I found with the Orca Sonar model that I have is that the construction of the forearms in the suit make it very difficult to put on / take off. The less extra whooey on forearms, the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xmagicalelf wrote:
I’ve narrowed it down to a zone3 women’s advance (£180) (reviewed as a good entry level suit), and a 2015 women’s zone3 vanquish suit - reduced to £215 due to being a 2015.
I would normally suggest you start with a cheaper, lower-end wetsuit to learn care and fit. But, these are close enough in price that I would just go for the best suit.

When I got my first wetsuit, it was the cheapest decent suit my local shop had (discounted Zone 3 Vision sleeved). I damaged it right away in a few spots due to my wetsuit inexperience. And, I learned what it felt like and that I bought one size too large than I should have. I had it for a few years until I wore through the panels between my thighs.

For my second wetsuit, I bout a second-from-the-best blueseventy. I love it. It fits like an absolute dream and is way easier to swim than my old one. It is significantly faster for me compared to the old one.

The Advance is a lower grade suit that my Vision was. After feeling a high-end suit, I would never want to go back to that level. My Vision felt heavy and tight across my chest, and it made my shoulders tired. My new one feels weightless by comparison. Since the prices are so similar, I would start with the great suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get a wetsuit online, that can work, but look very carefully at the seller's height/weight/body size recommendations. Don't try to go wildly different from those. If you're near the cusp of 2 different sizes, maybe get both, try them both on (see details about this below) and keep the one that fits you best.

But most important, if you want to truly get an accurate feel for the fit of a wetsuit, you absolutely need to do this:

When you swim or race, typically, water will creep in the wetsuit on its own, but it happens slowly, and often you don't have that kind of time to swim before the start of most races. And if you are going to swim in this wetsuit to test the fit, before you actually start swimming, get completely in the water and tread water or whatever for a bit. Then, by pulling the neck opening slightly away from your neck, scoop a good amount of water into your wetsuit, and swim around a little. You want to get enough water in the suit to get water in and around your torso, legs, and to some degree around your arms/shoulders.

Then, once done, climb out of the water and stand up. All the excess water will drain out as it should. Move your arms and legs a bit. Now you're ready to go (to swim or to evaluate the fit).

(If you don't right now have access to a pool or body of water, you can also test the fit in the same way by getting in the shower or even getting a hose in the backyard and have yourself (or a helper) put a good amount of water in the wetsuit as described above.)

The reason you are doing this is that scooped water and some swimming right after doing this allows the wetsuit to properly re-distribute itself (fit-wise) on your body. A dry wetsuit will often grip or stick to your dry body and often give you a false sense of the fit (usually it feels too small and tight).

Once you get the wetsuit completely wet (inside) while the wetsuit is on your body, NOW you have an accurate feel for the true fit of the wetsuit when swimming ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 28, 20 11:13
Quote Reply