Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chain Ring 50-34 [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engage some logic.
36/34 is a 6% difference.
Going from say a 17 to 19 cog at the back is a nearly a 12% change.
So you're bothering about a half a gear shift at the back.

It's mostly a problem in your head really, not in the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Slowman said it best. You never wished for a bigger gear but always wished you had a smaller one. I love a compact crank and specified if on my Road and Tri bike.
Now it is standard issue - it's what the masses want.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to sell mine when I got it but was talking to a friend who is a cat1 and he was winning hilly road races and flat crits on the thing, so good enough for me.

I do like the 39 for noodling along, it's a tall enough gear, where the 34 is just for the hills. I have a 46*34 on my cross bike for the summer and really like it
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Ring 50-34 [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see no reason to go past a compact gear unless you frequently cycle in groups, have little elevation gains or rarely spin past 90rpm for any extended period of time.

My most commonly used gears are 50/21 and 50/19. Spinning between 90-100 rpm on solo rides, I can maintain 21-25mph with these two gears depending on elevation and wind. On TT rides where cadence is emphasized, I can get up to 21-23mph on 50/21 at 110-120rpm. When wind or hills hit, I drop down to my 34 and a 34/15 or 34/14 can do 17-20mph within that range. If a long climb hits, I simply don't run out of gears to keep high cadence. I can spin up to 42 mph on my biggest gear. There's really no need to go past 40mph whilst training, ever, in my opinion.

Seeing people with 53/39 tells me that they misunderstand the importance of cadence with respect to aerobic power and efficiency. A high cadence on a lower gear has greater ability to produce more power with less fatigue over a period of time. It's just part of the new ideology in cycling which has been producing successful results for over a decade now. Hence Froome's 'washing machine' cadence on climbs.

Theres a reason most new, top of the line bikes are being seated with compact gearing. Hell, the Madone, Trek's flagship aero road bike, comes stock with a 48/35 on all sizes.

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: May 26, 20 19:48
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Ring 50-34 [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because the industry is going in a direction does not make it right for everyone. I object to the limiting of choices of crank sizes.

Jimmy S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
My most commonly used gears are 50/21 and 50/19. Spinning between 90-100 rpm on solo rides, I can maintain 21-25mph with these two gears
What kind of wheels are you using?

With a 25mm 700c tires, 90-100rpm on 50x19-21 is a range of about 17mph to just under 21mph. Even on 2.6" 29er MTB tires, pedaling 50-19 at 100rpm only gets you to a little over 23mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Ring 50-34 [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:
My most commonly used gears are 50/21 and 50/19. Spinning between 90-100 rpm on solo rides, I can maintain 21-25mph with these two gears

With a 25mm 700c tires, 90-100rpm on 50x19-21 is a range of about 17mph to just under 21mph. Even on 2.6" 29er MTB tires, pedaling 50-19 at 100rpm only gets you to a little over 23mph.

I use 700c 25mm tires. According to the calculator, a 50x19 at 115rpm is about 23mph

I suppose from my context, those would be the average speeds I see whilst using that gear over a period of time. I also live in the Northeast so I may see more frequent elevation changes than many people and vary my cadence based on that

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: May 26, 20 20:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:

I use 700c 25mm tires. According to the calculator, a 50x19 at 115rpm is about 23mph

I suppose from my context, those would be the average speeds I see whilst using that gear over a period of time. I also live in the Northeast so I may see more frequent elevation changes than many people and vary my cadence based on that

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone was spinning at 115 RPM for any kind of extended ride. Even 100 RPMs is a very quick cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Ring 50-34 [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:
50-34 is my least favorite chainring combo for a road bike. I agree on the 34t- and find it almost useless aside from very steep climbs. I'd only recommend 50-34 to folks that are very much a beginner or of low fitness level

Crap.

I'm a fairly decent cyclist, 4w/kg ish FTP, and find myself in 34 front 28 back pretty often and spinning <70 rpm. Why? Because I live in West Yorkshire by the Peak District which is all valleys and moors. I'm either climbing or descending 80% of the time, often well above 15%.

But people on here have always struggled to look further than their own experiences. You may not be in Kansas any more, Dorothy.
Last edited by: knighty76: May 27, 20 1:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 50/34 on my road bike, but that was put on when I was planning on doing the Mt Washington hill climb. I never got around to doing the race and was planning for it this year. Maybe next year.... I have an 11-32 in the back with the long-cage Force derailleur. On my tri bike I have a 54/42. For anything under 32 mph or so the 50/34 is perfectly fine. I feel that over that speed I start to spin out a little - or at least a higher cadence than I'm accustomed to riding at.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Ring 50-34 [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:
I'd only recommend 50-34 to folks that are very much a beginner or of low fitness level

Ha. I love to climb and my ftp sits in the high 340/low 350 range putting me at 4.5 w/kg. I appreciate a 34 tooth chainring when I’m hitting routs with lots of 12+% pitches as well as at the end of rides where I’ve put in 5K+ of climbing. I don’t often spend time in the 34/30 gear, but it never hurts to have an easier gear so you don’t end up up with the sad click.

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next