Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge sweater and a Florida resident, not a great combination I know, but I digress. I nearly had a catastrophic crash Saturday morning when my left hand slipped off my drops during a hard out of the saddle effort. Fortunately I was able to regain control of the bike but it definitely spooked me. What's the best grip or bar tape for people like me whose hands get wet and slippery from perspiration?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lizard skin. About $50 for two rolls, but it's very soft, grippy and tacky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gloves?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in florida and I had a crash a few years ago where my hands slipped off my base bars. My solution was two fold: wear gloves and zipp cx bar tape. Haven't had a problem since.

I did get tired of dealing with bar tape so I have recently moved to skate board deck tape for my base bars. I prefer it much more over any bar tape.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use tennis tape which is
1) very cheap
2) very tacky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp CX and then LizardSkin DSP tape. Very good in the snow, wet, whatever of cyclocross.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I use tennis tape which is
1) very cheap
2) very tacky

I use tennis tape as well, but it wears out quick. But in combination with gloves, it is virtually zero slip.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt that lizard skins got slippery when wet with bare hands.

I went with specialized s wrap roubaix after that and felt it was much, much better for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I felt that lizard skins got slippery when wet with bare hands.

I went with specialized s wrap roubaix after that and felt it was much, much better for me.

Hence the point about wearing gloves too...smh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for tennis racquet tape. Actually, I use racquetball racquet tape. It seems to be tackler in my sweaty hands. I don't have a LBS closer than 100 miles, so tracking down bar tape when I need it would be an on-line process. Fortunately, the local Wal-Mart always has tennis/racquetball tape on hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Lizard skin. About $50 for two rolls, but it's very soft, grippy and tacky.

X2 on the Lizard Skin. I'm a heavy sweater too, and have had major slippage issues. I bought 2 rolls from Backcountry.com for 39.99. Taped the horns on my aura pro base bar, and the ski bend part on my aerobars, and have almost a full roll left. Super tacky. I also like that it's very low profile, which I'd imagine is more aero than the spongy/thick grip tape. The only downside is it doesn't offer any cushion, but I've gotten used to that - it's not a big deal. There's also every color imaginable in Lizard Skin. I found Sky Blue which matches my Bike perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
I'm a huge sweater and a Florida resident, not a great combination I know, but I digress. I nearly had a catastrophic crash Saturday morning when my left hand slipped off my drops during a hard out of the saddle effort. Fortunately I was able to regain control of the bike but it definitely spooked me. What's the best grip or bar tape for people like me whose hands get wet and slippery from perspiration?

Good thing you recovered, because that happened to me last summer and I bit it - hard. Lost control of the handlebar.....I saw the ground coming up to my face very quickly and also in slowmotion. Ended up with quite some road rash.

This is when I decided to finally start using full-finger gloves on super humid days. I also have Lizard skin bar tape, but when this tape gets wet, it's not a 100 percent non-slip (in my mind) because my hand slipped off even with that tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree that certain LS tape was actually quite slippery depending on the thickness as the grip on the various thicknesses varied. The newer versions seem much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:

Gloves! Seriously- get some breathable, half-finger cycling gloves. Comfy, eats up road vibration, no slip and will protect your palms if you ever have a spill. In the humid summer I won't ride without them. Another benefit: your bar tape will stay clean for much longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Red Monkey Sports* Big 40 bar tape. This stuff is, bar none, the grippiest bar tape I have used in over 30 years of cycling. There's no texture but the finish is somehow fantastically grippy.

*This tape was developed by Zevlin but they went the way of the dodo and Red Monkey bought their design and are selling it under their name now.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i find lizard skins or Supacaz Super Sticky Kush tape tend to be your grippier/tackier options to prevent hand slippage in adverse conditions. I generally run that on my road bike (I only tend to wear gloves for really long rides, really cold rides, or when racing crits) and on my CX bike (it's served me well in sun, rain, mud, snow, and everything in between)... I've tried many other tapes, but these tend to be the standouts when facing adverse conditions...
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar tape/grip for sweaty hands [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a tennis player I find that a tackier grip usually isnt the best suited for sweaty hands. Its better to go with a dryer grip such as Wilson Pro Overgrip or Tourna Grip, I use the Wilson on my tt bike. Comes in several colors as well, though the white is the dryest.

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply