Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Safe Return to Multisport initiative released [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
thanks for taking a look at the article. i agree too bad it doesn't come from a more recognized source, but as a physician i do agree with her logic and conclusions. the risks posed to athletes in a typical multisport race are minimal. is it even worth it to further minimize the minuscule? i realize that USAT feel they need to "do something" in light of the situation, but masks on bike and run are absolutely ridiculous. how about scuba masks on the swim with in line viral filters? from the article:

"The principle is viral exposure over an extended period of time. In all these cases, people were exposed to the virus in the air for a prolonged period (hours). Even if they were 50 feet away (choir or call center), even a low dose of the virus in the air reaching them, over a sustained period, was enough to cause infection and in some cases, death.
Social distancing rules are really to protect you with brief exposures or outdoor exposures. In these situations there is not enough time to achieve the infectious viral load when you are standing 6 feet apart or where wind and the infinite outdoor space for viral dilution reduces viral load. The effects of sunlight, heat, and humidity on viral survival, all serve to minimize the risk to everyone when outside."

like i said, the plastic porto-potty handle is probably your biggest risk at race.

But the article also has this final paragraph, in bold:
"As we are allowed to move around our communities more freely and be in contact with more people in more places more regularly, the risks to ourselves and our family are significant. Even if you are gung-ho for reopening and resuming business as usual, do your part and wear a mask to reduce what you release into the environment. It will help everyone, including your own business."

How do you interpret that paragraph? Wear a mask pre and post race, but not in the race?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 8, 20 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Safe Return to Multisport initiative released [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the way to interpret it is if you are inside 2m of someone, wear a mask....outside 2m no need. Mother nature will kill the critters floating in the air before it gets to us.

Don't swim with a mask, you may drown and die from the mask rather than the swimmer within 2m of you. If you are worried about breathing air from another swimmer inside 2m, don't draft on their hip. If you don't care, go ahead and draft their hip. on the bike, unless you are planning to be inside 2m of the other guy continuously and risking Jimmy Riccitello putting you in the sin bin, you don't need a mask. On the run, same deal as the swim....if you want to draft someone you decide how many microbes you want to take in from others. Its your choice, but outside 2m no mask should be needed. Mother nature has us covered!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Safe Return to Multisport initiative released [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

But the article also has this final paragraph, in bold:
"As we are allowed to move around our communities more freely and be in contact with more people in more places more regularly, the risks to ourselves and our family are significant. Even if you are gung-ho for reopening and resuming business as usual, do your part and wear a mask to reduce what you release into the environment. It will help everyone, including your own business."

How do you interpret that paragraph? Wear a mask pre and post race, but not in the race?[/quote]
I am by no means gung ho about opening quickly, i'm much more in favor of a slow approach. i just think the multisport arena is a low yield area to focus on. as the article points out, return to "business as usual" will a problem for the indoor , poorly ventilated spaces, and even more so when winter returns to the northern hemisphere. right now, since there are so many unknowns, i do agree with mask on as much as possible, pre/post race if races were actually happening. but mask on during a race is torture , its a terribly claustrophobic awful feeling, as the material gets sucked into your mouth with every breath. as others have said, it just wouldn't be fun , and not worth doing at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Safe Return to Multisport initiative released [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think the way to interpret it is if you are inside 2m of someone, wear a mask....outside 2m no need. Mother nature will kill the critters floating in the air before it gets to us.

Don't swim with a mask, you may drown and die from the mask rather than the swimmer within 2m of you. If you are worried about breathing air from another swimmer inside 2m, don't draft on their hip. If you don't care, go ahead and draft their hip. on the bike, unless you are planning to be inside 2m of the other guy continuously and risking Jimmy Riccitello putting you in the sin bin, you don't need a mask. On the run, same deal as the swim....if you want to draft someone you decide how many microbes you want to take in from others. Its your choice, but outside 2m no mask should be needed. Mother nature has us covered!

Doesn't wearing a mask, according to nearly everything I've read, mainly help prevent the wearer from potentially spreading COVID? I assume biz folks (including tri biz folks) are suggesting their customers wear masks because they assume some won't stay 2 m from other customers. I'm confident I can stay 2 m from nearly all others in a tri if I focus on doing that, but I doubt that all participants will attempt to stay 2 m, or even 1 m, from other participants.

I don't have a strong opinion regarding wearing a mask in a tri during this time. Obviously, I'd rather not because it is uncomfortable and will likely hinder my performance.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 8, 20 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Safe Return to Multisport initiative released [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
really interesting article here on the reality of the risk of spreading the virus. outdoor spread is very unlikely. porto-potties will be the the thing to avoid. basically minimizing exposure time should be key. no long pre -race meetings, no award ceremonies. basically waiting at the start line would be the biggest risk.

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/..._4eSrNAvhDeHlf5IlEhU

Coronavirus particles become unstable and virulence is low after a very brief time in temps >80 degrees, and even less with exposure to UV radiation
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Safe Return to Multisport initiative released [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is true of other coronaviruses but it’s not yet known if COVID-19 is affected the same way.

You’re aware there are other coronaviruses, right?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next