Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike Time
Quote | Reply
Alright, I already have my dream TT bike (Premier Tactical) and its time to upgrade from THIS bad boy.

Bikes on my list:

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 - 2019 Model and the shop is saying they can cut a deal. Not sure what that would be yet.

Giant Defy Advanced 2 - Very similar to the Pro 1 but at a discount and with 105

Ribble Endurance SL DISC - Custom Build - Built to spec. Not 100% sure which direction I would go with it.

Does anyone have experience ordering direct from Ribble? Anyone use either version of the Giant listed above?

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Time [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
Alright, I already have my dream TT bike (Premier Tactical) and its time to upgrade from THIS bad boy.

Bikes on my list:

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 - 2019 Model and the shop is saying they can cut a deal. Not sure what that would be yet.

Giant Defy Advanced 2 - Very similar to the Pro 1 but at a discount and with 105

Ribble Endurance SL DISC - Custom Build - Built to spec. Not 100% sure which direction I would go with it.

Does anyone have experience ordering direct from Ribble? Anyone use either version of the Giant listed above

last i knew, the giant defy was an endurance geometry road bike. do you want/need that geometry? the shorter you are, the smaller your bike size, the less it matters, because all geometries tend toward convergence at the smallest size (because bikes with 700c wheels can only get so low, and the wheelbase can only get so short and no shorter. the taller you are, the more that geometric divergence creates potential problems. however, if endurance geometry is your cup of tea, then the defy is a very good bike in any size. (we have 2 of them on The Compound.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Time [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm tall and I have problems (well not just with bike fit)

he taller you are, the more that geometric divergence creates potential problems.?

Now I was headed to an endurance frame and sat on a Domane and thought this sucks. I'm going to try a Emonda or MAdone tommorw, ref 6feet 4 37 in seam.

I can and do ride a Venge 58 with the seat post at the max, a 60 Madone is a shorter bike,
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Time [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike will need to serve multiple purposes. I will use this as a long ride training bike, a commuter bike, and a bike for running errands around the city. I may even end up using it to do USA Cycling races. I also have a desire for a bike that is a good climber, but I am not worried too much about weight. I figured an endurance frame would be better suited for that type of job. Would you suggest the TCR?

Additionally, my spouse is part of the triathlon team at the LBS and she gets up to 30% discount on Giant bike purchases.

I am 177cm tall. 78cm inseam.

Thanks for the insight.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Last edited by: MatthewLigman: May 5, 20 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Time [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
The bike will need to serve multiple purposes. I will use this as a long ride training bike, a commuter bike, and a bike for running errands around the city. I may even end up using it to do USA Cycling races. I also have a desire for a bike that is a good climber, but I am not worried too much about weight. I figured an endurance frame would be better suited for that type of job.

Additionally, my spouse is part of the triathlon team at the LBS and she gets up to 30% discount on Giant bike purchases.

I am 177cm tall. 78cm inseam.

Thanks for the insight.

to be clear, endurance geometry has nothing to do with endurance. or comfort. or use case. endurance geometry, aka gran fondo geometry, is taller per a given length than average geometry. so, that 30 percent discount. if it can go toward anything, let's do a little comparison. here's a $2,350 (before discount) TCR Advanced 2 Disc. in my size, L, here it is:

Stack: 580mm
Reach: 402mm

the 2020 Defy Advanced Pro 2 is selling for $3,900 before discount. pictures of these 2 bikes look pretty similar. but, in size L...

Stack: 605mm
Reach: 390mm

as endurance geometries go, this one isn't that endurancy. i've seen geometry way more narrow/tall than this. as for the reach, no problem, i'd have a 120mm stem on the TCR, and a 130mm stem on the defy. my issue is that i probably can't get the Defy low enough for my position.

but i don't ride an endurance geometry. i'm much more a midrange race geometry. if i had longer legs, and a shorter torso, i'd probably do just great on an endurance geometry bike. but i'm average to torsoey in morphology, so i need a geometry that's average to longish/lowish to fit my morphology.

see how this isn't a matter of use case as much as it's a matter of morphology. and this is why i've been talking up smart bikes for use in stationary. you can adjust these every which way, you figure out what works nicely for you in HARD efforts in zwift or rouvy or whatever, and then it's not hard to translate that, after months of farting around with your position, to an on-the-pavement bike that matches the position you've been perfecting for months.

the other issue in play here, with these bikes today, is that bike makers have outsmarted themselves and us with aero integrated front ends that are the devil to change. so, when i say, "no problem, just normalize with the longer stem," make sure the front end accepts a longer stem, rather than a fully integrated, no-change front end.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply