Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Wheels
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on how often to change tires on race only wheelsets? I have a set of Flo’s that I have had for about three years, averaging about 3-4 - 70.3 or longer races. I’m wondering if I should replace my tires, no real sign of wear and tear.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [Meags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of tires? If you are running Vittoria Corsa Speed, I would lean toward sooner. If you are running something like the Continental Gran Prix 4000 or 5000, you can probably go a lot longer.

I replace when better tires come out. And, I use my race wheels as everyday wheels (but, I mostly ride on the trainer). I have replaced them every couple years, as something better came along. I started with GP4K2 tires, then switched to Attack/Force for a couple years, and now I am on GP5K tires. I will probably ride them for the next 2-3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General observation with most bike tire rubber materials:

With every passing year (just age, not wear), the tires get a little bit faster.

With every passing year (just age, not wear), the tires get a little worse regarding grip.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For an A event, such as 70.3 or Ironman or big century or multi-day ride I always put on new tires and tubes 3-4 days before the race and do a couple easy rides on routes I know to be usually pretty clean of crap. I used to use the race wheels every so often for training rides (404s) when needed to build skills, such as a windy day, mist/rain on carbon brake surfaces, etc. just to learn in training rather than race day. Then when I replaced tires for the race, those became my training tires. For training, seems like I will get a cut in the tread before the tire wears out (lots of stuff in the shoulders at times). Also, rule of thumb if I get three flats in less than a month it is the tire.

Agree my approach may be overkill and I am not fast to try to win any AG awards, just a MOPer enjoying the day and part of that is showing up with minimal risks of mechanical issues - but nothing is zero risk.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mind sharing the tire size and model?

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front tire wear is usually pretty minimal but the last thing you want is a flatter surface and the general profile of a tire is not as "pointy" as you would like it to be for decent aerodynamics.

I seem to remember that there was a recommendation for front tire replacement that was quicker than you would expect. I don't remember the specific source or number but I think it was less than 500 miles.

Like a previous poster mentioned, tire technology tend to improve quickly enough that every 2 years there is probably something faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [jonthornham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental Grandprix 4000 S II - 23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming your bike will accept a larger tire I would push you towards a 25mm Continental GP 5000. This would be a great tire for your wheels. I'd also recommend taking a look at the tire pressure chart below. We recommend this as a starting point.

Ultimately, you should be able to save time with new tires and optimized pressures. While the aerodynamics may be similar when considering wear between old and new tires of the same model, by upgrading tires, and pressures you will see a benefit.

Just FYI, the GP 4000 S II tires have been discontinued, so we do recommend the 5000s.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Last edited by: jonthornham: May 6, 20 16:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, those tires would probably last a decade at your level of use. But, as recommended, I would jump to the new 5000 tires and put a 25 in back. Then ride those for the next decade. The new 5000s are like buttah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unrelated, but after taking a few years off racing tri and planning to start up again this year I decided I'm just going to ride on race wheels all the time. Not a disc, but deep dish carbon wheels. I'll replace the tires and or wheels as needed. They aren't doing anything sitting in a wheel bag in my garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
General observation with most bike tire rubber materials:

With every passing year (just age, not wear), the tires get a little bit faster.

With every passing year (just age, not wear), the tires get a little worse regarding grip.

We've found an interesting U curve with Vittoria Corsa Speeds, where they first get fast then slow over time. Trying to really hone it down so we can actually provide people with some helpful data - we knew they "wore out" and Crr increased but have now noticed an initial dip - but it's really interesting (for me anyway!). GP5000s as mentioned above are pretty solid and don't change Crr much so if you're just going to run the same tyre the whole time I'd choose them.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replace mine at the start of each season and make the old race tires training tires. Except for Corsa Speeds. Those are done after a race season.

Brett Z

“Livin’ in a van down by the river”
Quote Reply