Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in a mask
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen a lot of posts about this but I'm curious how others are faring with running/cycling outdoors in masks.

I'm in Boston and have been wearing a 2-layer cotton mask or a buff outdoors when running for about the past month -- mostly to protect others if I have Covid and don't know it, and to signal to others that I'm a considerate citizen and not an entitled mouth-breathing runner hogging the sidewalks.

Motivations aside, I'm curious about the science of performance with a mask and if others have similar experiences in training. I find I don't really mind having a mask on except at faster paces when oxygen supply becomes more limiting. Slower running seems little affected in pace, effort, or heart rate. But fast speedwork is out or has to happen in remote places without a mask for the time being. Does anyone know of research discussing how masks affect performance at different intensity levels, or if mask-wearing has notable positive or adverse training effects?

I haven't ridden outdoors since early March, just fluid trainer rides indoors, but planning on getting outdoors again soon. Do people have tips for how to make masks not cause glasses to fog up, or is this not an issue in practice?
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their called Hypoxic Training Masks. Plenty of studies to read if you search for that term...if you're so inclined.

PS: no personal experience. So, I can't comment in that regard.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 4, 20 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
many many moons ago then the bandana style masks with filters in were in fashion for commuting. (I'm talking 1994). I managed about 1 mile of my 10 mile commute before stopping, folding mask into pocket and never touching it again as I was starting to go blue and lose consciousness. Steaming of glasses was least of the issue.

Of course this being a discarded bike part I still do have that very same bandana mask in my tub of bits that has survived from undergrad uni days all the way through moves from London>home counties>Manchester and then to New Zealand. So for this very specific occasion I am willing to offer you it as 'used only slightly' at a 10% discount off the new price. Which given inflation means it was probably UKP2.50 which was a weeks student grant at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well, here is a possible con of running in a mask . . .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ring-face-masks.html

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We all know that Rule #2 is "Don't do anything on Race Day that you HAVEN'T DONE in training"

The corollary is "Train in the gear you plan to wear on Race Day"

Being some-what Mexican, I thought about running a HM in a Luchador mask, but that would TOTALLY NOT FLY on training runs

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was riding with a buff for a while. The fogging of the glasses is an issue as is overheating and general discomfort. The discomfort goes down if you don't work very hard. I'm sure like anything if you do it enough you get acclimated to the discomfort. If you pull the buff down below your nose the fogging goes away but that may not meet the intention of wearing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tbf running outside is one of the safest activities. It's not like you pass someone for half a second and bang, now they or you got it. Viruses spread mainly indoors. There's a reason why even the most restrictive countries don't have mandatory masks for outdoor activities. Keep your distance though, especially on the way to the run if that's the case (public transportation)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're running on crowded city sidewalks/streets, consider adjusting your schedule if you're constantly coming close to other people when running or get a treadmill.

I'll wear a mask to the store or someplace where avoiding people is near impossible but I'd never consider wearing one to run (I'm an inconsiderate mouth breathing runner). I don't live in a city and I run before the sun comes up, almost never cross paths with others during my runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those masks would be amazing in a race, but they're the opposite of the coverage you need to act as barriers to breathing lol!
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Tbf running outside is one of the safest activities. It's not like you pass someone for half a second and bang, now they or you got it. Viruses spread mainly indoors. There's a reason why even the most restrictive countries don't have mandatory masks for outdoor activities. Keep your distance though, especially on the way to the run if that's the case (public transportation)

Several communities in Massachusetts are now requiring masks for outdoor activity, and Boston is "encouraging everyone to wear a face covering when outside" -- including for people who are exercising.

I get that the risk is likely extremely low but think it's worth it for signaling social awareness especially since wearing a mask doesn't seem to appreciably alter anything about my comfort on easy runs. I guess most others here do not share that opinion or have not tried wearing a mask when running.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Their called Hypoxic Training Masks. Plenty of studies to read if you search for that term...if you're so inclined.

PS: no personal experience. So, I can't comment in that regard.

Thanks Tom -- I did come across some of those studies but had difficulty sorting wheat from chaff; all seemed sort of pseudoscientific to me. My vague impression after some quick browsing was of a consensus leaning towards a negative training effect of restricting oxygen supply, and that you may increase lung strength but that's not usually performance-limiting, and you don't accustom the rest of your body to using as much oxygen as it could without flow restriction. But I was curious if others have different or more thorough backgrounds on the literature about the subject.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't it fly on race day?

Last edited by: Ironfan: May 5, 20 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:

Thanks Tom -- I did come across some of those studies but had difficulty sorting wheat from chaff; all seemed sort of pseudoscientific to me. My vague impression after some quick browsing was of a consensus leaning towards a negative training effect of restricting oxygen supply, and that you may increase lung strength but that's not usually performance-limiting, and you don't accustom the rest of your body to using as much oxygen as it could without flow restriction. But I was curious if others have different or more thorough backgrounds on the literature about the subject.

I agree on all counts. It has never made any sense to me, it all seems bass-ackwards from everything I think I know about training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Who has seen this from Seth Meyers regarding runners during the pandemic? My wife thought I'd hate it, but I loved it. If I was running on busy sidewalks or multiuse paths I would wear a mask to be courteous as well as distancing as much as possible. Thankfully, I've been able to continue to do nearly all my runs on trails and go wide off trail whenever I cross paths with potential spreaders, almost none of whom are wearing masks. I even got permission from our metro parks to run off trail when passing, although I hate stepping on the wildflowers.

My ability to go off trail safely will end soon when ticks and poison ivy arrive, so last weekend I experienced with the Pac-Man strategy when running on my favorite singletrack trails. I just turn around whenever I see someone else on the trails. I was fortunate to be able to do 10 miles on Sunday without having to pass anyone on a trail.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 5, 20 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sunny weather has made it a lot harder to wear masks, while out riding or running. Pretty sure it's just going to get worse as we get closer to summer :(
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Why wouldn't it fly on race day?

Race day would be fine; it's the daily training down here - where we have a lot of migrant workers who might take offense, and pick-up driving, wall-building MAGA rednecks who take offense at the migrant workers - that would be problematic

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing Desoto face masks for cycling, and a buff or head tube for running, which is easier to pull up and down depending on if there is anyone else around. The skin cooler material has been fine so far, but I have not done any really hard workouts as of yet. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Training in a mask [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Of course this being a discarded bike part I still do have that very same bandana mask in my tub of bits that has survived from undergrad uni days all the way through moves from London>home counties>Manchester and then to New Zealand.

ha, thank you, I laughed out loud..
I may have some indexed 6spd Shimano shifters in my bits tub, moved from S. Africa around the world..

to the original q, I know swimmers used to believe in hypoxic training but runners never did, leaving aside the altitude tent ideas.
There is some evidence that inspiratory muscle training can be helpful though.

there is nothing can be done about glasses fogging. Blow down instead of just simply breathing out, can help a bit, 'flute breathing'. One thing I haven't tried yet is the anti-fog treatments for swim goggles, that's next..

Been running in a buff, slaloming around the crowded trails where I'm the only one wearing a mask.. this has become so annoying that I've switched to running on busy roads, lots of traffic but few pedestrians at least. Tried going off-trail to avoid the crowds but that isn't sustainable, there are already informal trails showing up all over the open spaces..
Quote Reply