Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle bag recommendation
Quote | Reply
Small to medium size.
No front strap that goes around the post... they all rub your seatpost to shit.

I was originally going to get a Silca seat roll, but I just don't trust the Boa to not break through extended use.

I like the Arundel Pico. It has extra material where the saddle bag always rubs. Arundel makes great stuff. Now if only I could find an online retailer that sends them to Canada for a reasonable price...

What else ya got?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not exactly what you are asking for, but I go with a pod. You can lash it to the seat rails with a velcro strap (no seatpost contact), put it in one of the bottle cages, or stick it in a jersey pocket.

I used to just use an old bottle, but this looks better (and once the crew cleaning the transition area removed my flat kit thinking it was just a used bottle :( .)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have the lezyne road caddie on my gravel bike. fits tube, levers, compact tool set, and cash just fine.

actually use on my road bike, the "freebie"'ish one from continental which includes a tube and levers (and also fits the tiny specialized swat tool).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of miles on my Silca bag on rough Ohio roads and still no problem. Love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking this question. I'm in the market for a new one, and considered posting this same question earlier.

The Arundel is currently the top on my list. The pico looks great, but a little small for me. On the site it says it holds "a 700c gravel tube plus
gas, filler and levers." I wonder if it would fit a normal road tube, a multitool, CO2 gas, filler, and no levers? I really want to be able to fit a multitool in as well. The medio would definitely fit everything i need, but it looks almost too big.

The silca is tempting too. I've seen them dangling on people's bikes before. Not sure if it was user error, if the boa broke, or if it was a stitching issue.

I love so much about my Outvi Possum tool roll. It organizes everything so well, and you can fit a ton of stuff in there without the size getting out of control. You can easily do a tube, levers, patch kit, plug kit, c02 inflator, c02 gas, multitool, AND mini pump. It's been one of my favorite purchases. However, your tools and tube WILL get dirty if you ride off road or in the rain..and i do enough of both that my tools look like hell (you can see my tools in the multitool post from today). I love it, but i think i might prefer to do something waterproof for my next purchase. I might still do the Outvi on big excursions, but soemthing like the Pico or Medio would be nice for normal riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To stop the seat post getting rubbed to shit (i agree it can happen) I have a piece of clear heli-tape where it sits.
No chewed carbon seat post.
Tape is clear so doesn't detract from the bike and is largely hidden anyway. After all, when was the last time you saw a helicopter blade and thought 'that looks shit' ?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
I have a lot of miles on my Silca bag on rough Ohio roads and still no problem. Love it
i know a pump wouldn't fit into the pockets, but are you able to roll a pump inside the pack (it would stick out some), and have it secured enough that it won't fall out? I know i could just mount the pump behind the bottle cage, but I'd rather have it in the roll.

Similar to this:

But the Silca would provide better weather proofing to my tube, tools, money, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably could. I have never used a mini pump so I can’t comment directly.Although looking at my pack I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t since you wouldn’t have CO2 taking up that space
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Scicon Elan. Minimalistist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This works great for me. Carries tubes, CO2, small tools, etc.

https://silca.cc/.../seat-capsule-premio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Scicon.
Inexpensive, elegant, and doesn't complicate the simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my fav...plenty of room, but fits snug under saddle...out of the way...

https://ride.lezyne.com/...ts/1-sb-rdcaddy-v104
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Silca didn't work for me.... came open after too much bouncing

Currently experimenting with the speedsleev, a little small, but pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag the other week and its served me well so far. Holds a pump, levers, 650b tube, multitool and mini screwdriver. It's pretty compact too, so there's enough space on my seatpost for my Varia.

Another option to consider is the One Up EDC system. They make a version that goes in their pump so you can mount it to a bottle cage. It's pricey (~$120 for the whole set up), but it's got pretty much everything.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I just picked up a Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag the other week and its served me well so far. Holds a pump, levers, 650b tube, multitool and mini screwdriver. It's pretty compact too, so there's enough space on my seatpost for my Varia.

Another option to consider is the One Up EDC system. They make a version that goes in their pump so you can mount it to a bottle cage. It's pricey (~$120 for the whole set up), but it's got pretty much everything.

I typically throw all my stuff in a lyzne caddle sack when riding road but for gravel/mtb this is what I use. Plenty of room for a tube, tool, patch kit, CO2 cannisters/lever etc. Usually just keep it between my top tube and downtube sandwiched in near the fork.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

Does the boa pop open, or does it come loose another way? Any reason to think that the Grande Americano might work better than the Premio?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
benleg wrote:

Does the boa pop open, or does it come loose another way? Any reason to think that the Grande Americano might work better than the Premio?

I don't think the boa itself move... more the material around and at some point the folded material open up
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
rob_bell wrote:
benleg wrote:

I don't think the boa itself move... more the material around and at some point the folded material open up

I've been using the Silca on my road bike pretty much it came out. Only once did it come loose, on a very rough road (gravel section of East Maui Loop). Not sure that I had mounted it on correctly that day but it hasn't budged since. Doesn't fit quite as well if I'm using an Ass Saver since the seat rails help to hold the roll in place under normal conditions and you then really have to reef the Boa tight. Yeah, if the cable snaps it's gone, but so far so good.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedsleev is all-time fav, comes in a variety of sizes too: https://www.speedsleev.com/...tegory/saddle-packs/
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendation [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Speedsleev is all-time fav, comes in a variety of sizes too: https://www.speedsleev.com/...tegory/saddle-packs/

That Speedsleev ranger looks real nice. Basically like my Outvi Possum, but with a protective shell to keep the elements out. I love the organization you get with a roll like Outvi's, Silca's, or this Speedsleev.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Speedsleev. I have both the road and MTB version and have used for years, along with other bags. I guess I have the small that I used for road/tri and the plus for MTB/Gravel. These are the only ones I have used where I have never lost the contents (e.g. zipper bouncing open or tool digging through on rough rides). Only downside, everything in it gets dirty and wet - so a cheap tool will rust and tubes will be dusty. I had a little cover but never used it. Honestly, I did not find that as a drawback but as reality. Also, an added plus, easy to get on and off with velcro versus buckles.

Edit: Looking at the website, looks like they have updated their design and solved the water proof problem but maintained the snug fit of stuff. Even better than the older version I have.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Last edited by: Quo Vadimus: Apr 28, 20 13:21
Quote Reply