Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MTB Recommendation from REI
Quote | Reply
I have a $1K REI gift card (work incentive) and looking to getting a MTB. My son is 9 and recently started riding a MTB, so I would like to hit the trails with him. Beyond riding with him, Id like to try some xterra races at some point. Basically looking for an all rounder, no frills bike.

Its been a ton of years since I rode MTBs, so I am pretty clueless in regards to what is currently being offered outside of reading the specs. I am going to throw some cash at it as well, but not looking to go north of $2K all in. Any suggestions would be appreciated

REI options
Cannondale
Salsa
Ghost
COOP
Quote Reply
Re: MTB Recommendation from REI [Converge418] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what you describe, I’d probably look at a hardtail 29er, 1x for ease of use and versatility. You can get a nice hardtail with quality fork and drivetrain for $2k. I’d personally lean toward Cannondale and Salsa. For example, the Salsa XT is 2k and has a decent fork, dropper post, and XT components.

You may also want to consider a gravel bike if you’re on easy mtb trails as they are really versatile and you could also use it on the road.
Last edited by: sake: Apr 26, 20 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: MTB Recommendation from REI [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
From what you describe, I’d probably look at a hardtail 29er, 1x for ease of use and versatility. You can get a nice hardtail with quality fork and drivetrain for $2k. I’d personally lean toward Cannondale and Salsa. For example, the Salsa XT is 2k and has a decent fork, dropper post, and XT components.

You may also want to consider a gravel bike if you’re on easy mtb trails as they are really versatile and you could also use it on the road.

This is exactly what I would say too. any company is going to have a nice bike in that price range and by avoiding their rear suspension you steer clear of a lot of extra maintenance. Make sure to leave enough money for pedals and shoes if you don't already own them. I bet you will really enjoy riding with your son in the woods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have a full-suspension Salsa Horsethief on sale if you're willing to shell out a bit extra. Full suspension is worth it IMO and the Horsethief is a great bike. Suspension is surprisingly well refined for a bike at this price point.

https://www.rei.com/...ethief-deore-29-bike
Quote Reply
Re: MTB Recommendation from REI [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That horesthief is a great choice.
If you want to spend a bit less this would be a great choice.
https://www.rei.com/...mberjack-slx-29-bike
Or even this if you won't be getting rowdy
https://www.rei.com/...finder-deore-29-bike

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Last edited by: trener1: Apr 27, 20 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: MTB Recommendation from REI [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also just overall since you mentioned it has been a while since you have looked at MTB's no matter how much or how little you spend, 2 absolute must have no question, dropper post and tubeless.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have owned both Cannondale and Salsa, currently ride the latter and it has been great quality bike. One thing to consider is where you ride and how long. Full suspension is awesome all the way around especially on long ride and super rocky, bumpy terrain. Considering with you son, a hard tail might just fit the bill, and, depending on how fast he grows and your size, may be his next mountain bike - in that case hard tail has less moving parts and less expensive, both in purchase and maintenance on the shock.

Also, as someone mentioned, some additional costs - shoes, pedals, camelback, saddleback that won't explode and launch all the contents in the bumps - yes, I have done this many, many times, helmet (I prefer an MTB design with more protection on the back of the head, GLOVES, and I personally always ride with glasses so if shady get a set of clear or ones that start clear and will darken if going from shade to sun.

Some of my best times with my kids have been on mountain bikes and totally improves bike handling skills when on the road as well. Enjoy!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Last edited by: Quo Vadimus: Apr 26, 20 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: MTB Recommendation from REI [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great info and I would not have thought of either. I appreciate the callouts.
Quote Reply
Re: MTB Recommendation from REI [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info and I am really excited to start hitting the trails with him. Being a dad just keeps getting better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salsa is a fantastic bike. Cannondale is good too. Give Ghost a try, they're a UK/European brand and not well known here. I demo'd one a few years ago and was VERY impressed with it. There are a few pro MTB women who race on Ghost bikes on the UCI world cup cross country circuit, so it's a legit brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salsa timberjack is on my short list. I believe the COOP is the house brand.
Quote Reply