Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be swimming in the rain tomorrow morning. Air temperature will be 35F and the water will be 53F. It's going to be effing cold.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I'll be swimming in the rain tomorrow morning. Air temperature will be 35F and the water will be 53F. It's going to be effing cold.

Its 47/48 now, I get the gloves and socks monday, I guess that is the point of no return... Really hope I have some Viking blood in my veins
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dasOlind wrote:
Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze at 45 Fahrenheit... the real question is when swimming pools will reopen? I’d like to think May 1st.

Where do you live?

Can’t imagine May 1 here in Michigan...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a wetsuit for cold water you need to check the Aquaman Cell Gold. That suit is really different frpm any other wetsuit on the market and made for cold water. Yamamoto # 40 neoprene Inside the suit will stick to your skin and will allowed just a very little water. Only wetsuit on the market with that technology. You will love the comfort and flexibility.
aquamantri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [emillet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emillet wrote:
If you want a wetsuit for cold water you need to check the Aquaman Cell Gold. That suit is really different frpm any other wetsuit on the market and made for cold water. Yamamoto # 40 neoprene Inside the suit will stick to your skin and will allowed just a very little water. Only wetsuit on the market with that technology. You will love the comfort and flexibility.
aquamantri.com

I hate being cold so I bought this wetsuit and it works. Love it!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you made the right choice . Happy swim.
aquamantri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was out today. 9C/49F, 650 m swim. It was cold for fingers and face. We thought about expanding the swim, but decided to stop while it was great...

The outdoor swimseason in DK is open 😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dane82 wrote:
Was out today. 9C/49F, 650 m swim. It was cold for fingers and face. We thought about expanding the swim, but decided to stop while it was great...

The outdoor swimseason in DK is open 😊

congrats -i think the more you do, the easier it gets. swam twice yesterday. At Kitsilano Beach a pod of 3 swimmers from the uk did a 2km out and back loop, not bad!

buddy texted me desperate to find a suit. Xterra has some great pricing, his size 6'5 xl tall or xxl is hard to find.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an update. Indoor swimming still closed. But the ice in the local pond last week. Was out swimming this weekend. 33 F, but absolutely swimable. I have upgraded with a 5 mm neoprene hood, 5 mm socks and 5 mm gloves. But of course not long distances.
It is a PITA to dress/undress in 27 F air with wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re crazy. I have a lap pool at home, so I can swim year round, but my limit is 60 F. Any colder than that and my feet go numb and I have a hard time warming up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Blue 70 THERMAL HELIX is apparently toasty in the 50's range...talked to a Brit in Pontevedra at 2019 Worlds & she was perfectly fine with a cap & booties. I had a normal Helix & it was tolerable but my feet froze & arms frozen to the point I couldn't feel the water on each stroke. So by testimony only--from another--it appears the B70 Thermal Helix will get you in the water earlier--as I've seen some online reviews on it too & they pretty much concur with what this gal was saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you.

I've got pretty much acclimated to at least once a week 45 minutes in the ocean at 7 C. (45F). A diving hood , cap , 2 pair booties and 2mm gloves. The first minute or so is tough but after that quite pleasant. I wish I had thicker gloves sometimes. Can usually get around 2000m depending on conditions.

I hear if people putting wool socks in the booties. I haven't tried that seems they would get wet and heavy. Have you tried it?

I would never have done this without COVID. I really look forward now to my outdoor winter swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
I hear if people putting wool socks in the booties. I haven't tried that seems they would get wet and heavy. Have you tried it?

Yes. It works well. The wool does get wet but greatly reduces the amount of flushing in your booties (keeping you warmer). There is no weight penalty; water doesn't weigh more than water when it is in the water. In fact, your booties will likely be a bit lighter walking out of the water because the wool would have displaced some of the water in your booties.

Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
I'm with you.

I've got pretty much acclimated to at least once a week 45 minutes in the ocean at 7 C. (45F). A diving hood , cap , 2 pair booties and 2mm gloves. The first minute or so is tough but after that quite pleasant. I wish I had thicker gloves sometimes. Can usually get around 2000m depending on conditions.

I would never have done this without COVID. I really look forward now to my outdoor winter swimming.

2 mm gloves worked ok for me at 49F, but at 34F it is not enough. 5 mm works for me. My coach swam 4000 m, he has 7 mm gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been swimming skins all winter at 60n in Shetland, speedos and a cap.

Lowest temp was 3.4c, though I was only in 10mins, the afterdrop can be amusing. It's about 6c now, gets up to a heady 12-13c in summer.

Granted I'm not swimming/training for distance like youse, but I am actually swimming and looking at sealife, not just dipping. Summer I'll be in maybe 45mins.

I may have more bioprene than is good for my main interest of cycling...
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
Been swimming skins all winter at 60n in Shetland, speedos and a cap.

Lowest temp was 3.4c, though I was only in 10mins, the afterdrop can be amusing. It's about 6c now, gets up to a heady 12-13c in summer.

Granted I'm not swimming/training for distance like youse, but I am actually swimming and looking at sealife, not just dipping. Summer I'll be in maybe 45mins.

I may have more bioprene than is good for my main interest of cycling...

Bioprene - love the word :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [_canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ill try the wool socks. thanks.

of course you are right about the weight of the water in the water!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I live on a lake in NH that freezes every winter with usually several feet of ice. The ice goes out in mid April. I attach a thermometer to my dock. I find that 50 is my absolute lower limit, with 57 or 58 being the magical number where you can swim in just two swim caps.

I really do not like swimming with booties or gloves because it seems like you cannot feel the water the same way and at least for me it seems to mess with my stroke. I don’t mind the neoprene swim cap. I also use wax earplugs in super cold water, as it seems to help not having really cold water in your ears.

The good news is that typically once we get some nice sunny days the water warms quickly, and you pass through those lower temps faster than you expect.

I'm in the NEK of Vermont and wondering how far north you are in NH. When do you start swimming in the spring? End of April?

I got a Blue Seventy Thermal wetsuit last year and was able to swim up to Oct 1 (could have gone a bit further). I think the water was in the mid to upper 50sF . My face would sting from the cold but warm up. The thermal was great. I was still cold but it was feasible. I also wore the thermal swim cap, booties and gloves. I am hoping to get back into the open water asap. I would love to be swimming outside by early May but it's a crap shoot. We had a snowstorm with 6 inches of snow on May 12, 2020. But some years it's warmer.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at 45, when to start swimming? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
I live on a lake in NH that freezes every winter with usually several feet of ice. The ice goes out in mid April. I attach a thermometer to my dock. I find that 50 is my absolute lower limit, with 57 or 58 being the magical number where you can swim in just two swim caps.

I really do not like swimming with booties or gloves because it seems like you cannot feel the water the same way and at least for me it seems to mess with my stroke. I don’t mind the neoprene swim cap. I also use wax earplugs in super cold water, as it seems to help not having really cold water in your ears.

The good news is that typically once we get some nice sunny days the water warms quickly, and you pass through those lower temps faster than you expect.

I'm in the NEK of Vermont and wondering how far north you are in NH. When do you start swimming in the spring? End of April?

I got a Blue Seventy Thermal wetsuit last year and was able to swim up to Oct 1 (could have gone a bit further). I think the water was in the mid to upper 50sF . My face would sting from the cold but warm up. The thermal was great. I was still cold but it was feasible. I also wore the thermal swim cap, booties and gloves. I am hoping to get back into the open water asap. I would love to be swimming outside by early May but it's a crap shoot. We had a snowstorm with 6 inches of snow on May 12, 2020. But some years it's warmer.

I swim on Squam Lake. The ice usually goes out mid to late April. You really need at least 3-4 weeks of direct sunshine to warm the lake up. I am not in until mid to late May. Its all about those photons from the Sun, air temps don't do much to the lake, you need sunshine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

I swim on Squam Lake. The ice usually goes out mid to late April. You really need at least 3-4 weeks of direct sunshine to warm the lake up. I am not in until mid to late May. Its all about those photons from the Sun, air temps don't do much to the lake, you need sunshine.

I bet it's so pretty there. I just did a google search of Squam Lake and you are not too much more south from where I am. So you will get cold weather in late April and May sometimes like us. Yeah late May is more realistic for me. But I would be thrilled to get in the 3rd week of May with my thermals.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply

Prev Next