Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got one trophy from when I won a go cart championship race a zillion years ago on a shelf with a bunch of unrelated stuff in the basement. That was my proudest moment since I knew it was the closest I would ever get to winning a Formula One race. I had a pile of AG podium medals form local sprint tris, but they, like everything else, including all those participation medals are in a cardboard box somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a picture of my wife on my desk. Marrying her was a big accomplishment.

I tape the bibs of races I've won on my wall in the basement. Trophies/mugs for 1'st overall are on a shelf in the basement as well. The rest of the awards/bibs along with the finisher medals are in a box.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
I have a picture of my wife on my desk. Marrying her was a big accomplishment.

I tape the bibs of races I've won on my wall in the basement. Trophies/mugs for 1'st overall are on a shelf in the basement as well. The rest of the awards/bibs along with the finisher medals are in a box.

I still haven't married my wife after 23 yrs of common law. Maybe that's why there is no picture of her on my desk |(just photos of my two kids from my first wife). Buying a house together and paying off the mortgage together was our biggest accomplishment. It was also a signed document. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bachelor's and master's. No idea were those diplomas are at this moment, probably in a box the spare bedroom closet.

On the wall is:

My Dolphins certificate and a picture of the presentation.

The CPO Creed and a picture of my pinning.

My retirement certificate and a picture of my family with me on the day.

My shadow box is on a shelf in the same room (family room)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Can't read it, other than it's from high school. What is it?

He cut class.

I have a stack of maybe fifty of those. This is the only one that had multiple dates listed. I spent, or was supposed to have spent, every weekend in detention from halfway through sophomore year through graduation because I didn't give a fuck. I kept this as a reminder of the consequences of wasted potential and the ability to rewrite your story.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While racing, I had a bar on the wall where I hung all the medals. Since I stopped, quite a while ago, then moved 2 times, the medals ended up in a box somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any personal accomplishments.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
I got my law school diploma and bar license framed. Used to have them hanging in my office but not anymore. If I had a better wall for them I’d put them back up, I suppose.

All sports stuff is in boxes.

I sort of have an anti-accomplishment box. It contains every rejection letter I got when applying for undergrad, med school, law school, and jobs/clerkships after law school. I don’t have it out and accessible, but I run across when I’m digging around for stuff in the basement sometimes and it gives me a sort of grim, “fuck you I still did ok” feeling as well as a reminder that you only need one or two “yes” answers to make all the “no”’s irrelevant.

My friend did that when applying for internships (or whatever you call it) while in/after law school (I don't remember the details). She had a wall of letters, each one with GFY and a number on it.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have my Junior 4-H Grand Aggregate trophy from a livestock judging competition in 1979. Still have the gold watch that came with it. I didn't even know what "aggregate" meant, I was about 9 years old.

I also still have my 2-Day Eventing Championship (horsey people will know what I mean) trophy from 1984, and it's one of those nice heavy ones with a metal topper and a marble base. I keep it for personal protection.

Beyond that I have 2 sets of framed photos from my IMC efforts in 2011 and 2012. It's pure vanity, I will never look so good again.

Oh, and a coveted Slowtwitch water bottle from that one time I went to Xantusia. My very favourite, I use it all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My workout area is in my attic. I have most of my race numbers thumb tacked to the ceiling. I have the medals I still have hanging above the windows and I have my IM stuff thumb tacked on a different wall. The attic isn't finished, clean but not finished. One side is storage and the other side my bike and trainer. Nobody goes to the attic but me.

I like seeing the stuff. Being in my 50's it motivates me to keep going, it reminds me why I started doing this in the first place. My first IM medal is a tribute to my mom, my second, to my dad. I keep the stuff because it's memories. I look back and remember where I was, who I was with and in a lot of cases how I felt. I didn't get most of the stuff just because I entered, I got most of it because I challenged myself to do better than I had before.

As for the diplomas, they are hanging at my desk at work. I keep them up because I worked my ass off to get them, why not put them up and be proud of the accomplishment?

I really don't understand throwing out memories and accomplishments. There aren't arrows pointing to my memories saying look at me, look at me, they're kept where I can see them, to make me feel good. Isn't that was memories are all about anyway?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried but kids kept walking off of it.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my "wall of fame" in a corner of my office. Stuff from my days in US Customs (seizing 2 tons of cocaine and getting a photo with the team is always cool), along with my coins (Military folks love coins, its the first place they look when they come into my office), my tri and running medals in a bunch tacked to the wall and my diplomas on the adjacent wall over a file cabinet.

The diplomas and appointment letters are important because I have Contracting Officers who I say "No" to and they run up to my office and scream just who am I and what gives me a right to say no to their august personages. I just point to the wall, where it shows my appointment as a Level III Contracting Officer from 2008, my NCMA certifications (above the usual DAU stuff), and my MBA. I usually don't have to say anything other than what they need to do to get a "yes" after that. It's a fun cycle, many of the Contracting Officers today were still in college or even high school when I was appointed as a Contracting Officer, and once they cool their jets it turns into a "what was it like in the stone age?" discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got an AG win at some race and the prize was a mini guitar. (About 6 inches high.) It's really cool looking. I "think" the stand has something written on it but I haven't looked at it in years. I just like the guitar.

All the other crap is in a box in my closet. I really should dump it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Fun topic.

Most of my stuff is in a box somewhere; I never got around to framing any of my diplomas. But I keep my top tier mementos up for motivational purposes. My favorite is this. Mrs sphere couldn't for the life of her understand why I'd put that up on the wall, but I thought it was fairly obvious.

Cinnaminson, huh?

I have a friend whose stage name is Palmyra Delran

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race medals are in a bag in the closet
Race bibs are in a series of scrapbooks [3" binders, actually]
Don't save race t-shirts much - except tech ones - they get rotated out as new ones come in

I have a stash of my original artwork in some makeshift flat files in the basement; sketchbooks/notepads in the bookshelf

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use to be a pretty good bowler, took all the engraved plaques off the trophies, dontate the trophies. I have no clue where the other pieces are now. My 298 ring is somewhere probably in a dresser drawer.

Diploma is in storage.

EDIT: ---
I forgot have the 2 trophies on my desk at work for winning the Department Euchre tournament 2 yrs in a row. The Chairman award, and other awards and Patents are in the drawer at work, but the Euchre trophies are proudly displayed. Hmmm maybe says something as to why I have not gotten a promotion in 24yrs.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Apr 9, 20 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I stole the idea from the Lance's house thread.

I don't think it's uncommon for many of the people in here to have a healthy load of awards of some sort. Do you display them?

Personally my shrine is down to a trophy, a cup, a medal, and a weird chunk of marble with a faceplate on it. They are on a bookshelf full of knickknacks and books, and I don't think you'd notice them unless you were looking. Basically one represents high school, one for college, one for road racing in my 30s, and one is an IM finisher's medal. Anything else I've gotten is in a box in storage somewhere. I've been meaning to donate them, or throw them out or something.

Neither me nor my wife have our degrees framed or displayed or anything.

Interesting side note, at least where I grew up, you more or less either won awards at every road race you went to, or you didn't (fwiw, its been years since I've placed in an age group). Like if you could run a sub 18min 5K in your 30s, you got awards. If you were over 19m, you didn't. There was a big push in the local running community to get away from trophy/medal awards and to get something useful, like a gift certificate or a pair of running shorts.

I don't keep most of my awards and medals. Usually they go to super fans, homestays, and collectors. I have a few awards from local races now in Clermont I have been keeping just because they are so well done and I may turn this place into an AirBnB and everyone (who stays here) can add their hardware to a wall at some point, and collectively, I think it would be sort of cool to see a shrine in that regards. I also have a banner from Rev3 still of myself although it is rolled up and tucked away.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I have a box in the garage full of dust collectors, I mean awards, they sit under a shelf covered with assorted garage dust etc.. If I do race I don't stay to get my award, what am I going to do with it? Say yep, there is my award, look at me so I can feel good about myself. Wonder is any charities take old awards?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Yea I have a box in the garage full of dust collectors, I mean awards, they sit under a shelf covered with assorted garage dust etc.. If I do race I don't stay to get my award, what am I going to do with it? Say yep, there is my award, look at me so I can feel good about myself. Wonder is any charities take old awards?

Yep, but only medals I think: https://medals4mettle.org/

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of military officers have what they affectionately refer to their "I love me wall." Some go overboard and have an "I love me room". My shadow box given me on retirement is on the mantle. All other command/duty station certificates, citations, plaques, are squirreled away in boxes. My "special" finisher medals hang as mobile art from my very first zipp 404 hoop that I built into a fine racing wheel that now hangs above my work bench.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I'm double-dipping the dorkiness here.

At my wife's urging, I have a Marine Corps, "I love me wall", and I have probably 2/3 of my race stuff hanging up on a dowel and shelf in the basement, the other 1/3 in a pile.

I have my "I was there" medals and ribbons" along with my CAR. At my age now I sorta wish I would have kept the rest of the stuff, rifle / pistol badges

Used to keep all of my overall and agegrouper stuff but through it all away. Travel light and be ready to deploy at a moments notice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sort of.

I have antlers (european mounts) on the wall from my first archery elk, and a good archery mule deer, also a pronghorn that my mom killed with me guiding. I've had my NCAA-II trophies out, in a personal office, maybe 2 of the 20 years I've had them, otherwise they've been in boxes. My hall of fame framed photo is somewhere but I couldn't tell you where at the moment.

Diplomas and licenses are in my office, which is required.

I think I still have my IM finishers medal. Mostly as a reminder not to do that ever again.

It has to be pretty significant in my life for me to keep it. Local stuff or even state stuff won't make the cut, and I generally won't keep anything that I didn't win, so no second place stuff, except for that IM medal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wallpapered my garage at my last house with race numbers from running, cycling, OCR, and triathlon races we raced in. Pretty much covered all the walls and part of the ceiling with numbers from over 20 years of racing. I used to look at it and think about the thousands of dollars spent on those races. I guess it was a better pursuit than spending all that on hookers and blow.

We saved all our medals too. I'm still thinking about what to do with them all. I've cut the ribbons off so now I just have a really heavy box of "participation" medals. I hate the idea of participation medals, but I like that each has a memory tied to it and reminds me of a place we visited.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep a shrine of your personal accomplishments? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cinnaminson, huh?

I have a friend whose stage name is Palmyra Delran

So her character is dumb as a post and really good at wrestling?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next