Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running more and getting slower.
Quote | Reply
Typically run about every 3 days for the past decade or so while in this sport. Recently with loss of gyms, pools etc.. I've been running precisely every other day and getting way slower...

I guess my body is so accustomed to 2 days rest it's reacting negatively to just one day...

Just find it weird...
Quote Reply
Re: Running more and getting slower. [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going all out hard on each run, that could be why. Running more miles and running slower will make you faster. 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald is a good book on this. If you're already running slow, then I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Austin said.

What do your runs look like?

I run nearly every day, for a tri focus it would be almost ALL easy. It's a different beast for a 10k focus...but still 6 days a week.

You do need to build into it, though. Which means dividing your average weekly mileage by the new quantity of runs. If you try and go from 2x 10 miles to 4x10miles... You're gonna take a hit. Keep your weekly miles constant. Then once you adjust to the higher frequency (a couple weeks) build the mileage up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Typically run about every 3 days for the past decade or so while in this sport. Recently with loss of gyms, pools etc.. I've been running precisely every other day and getting way slower...

I guess my body is so accustomed to 2 days rest it's reacting negatively to just one day...

Just find it weird...

This is normal. Believe or not, you are NOT getting slower at running, you are getting faster. It's just that the accumulated fatigue from the added load is masking it and your paces thus go down.

Trust me, if you have added significant volume, then later on take a taper, you'll really feel the jets.
Quote Reply