Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s
Quote | Reply
Considering a new frame this year, looking at a couple of different options but the PR6 keeps rising to the top. One of the constraints I am working with is that I've recently (early last season) just invested in rim brake race wheels. I am not really interested in the disc vs. rim brake debate, lets just assume this to be one of the assumptions in the selection criteria.

I have been interacting with QR and they have been great so far. I was able to send them my GURU fit specifics, and they were able to say with confidence that I could be fit on a 54cm and would just need a set of risers for my existing set of aero bars (PD Svet carbon base bar with T4+ carbon extensions). With that said, a big part of the value prop for me is that I can basically strip my existing bike (GURU CR.901), which is Ultegra Di2, and simply purchase the frame and the direct mount rear brake. So basically $3k plus labor to get into get into a modern, almost-superbike with all sorts of integrated storage, can run bigger tires, and ultimately includes race wheels with a rear disc wheel option included. The wheels are HED jet blacks with the machined brake track which I've had NO issues with stopping.

My LBS (which I love dearly) does not agree with me on this topic, they feel strongly that I should buy a P-series and just deal with the cost of new wheels that are disc brake capable later. I personally find that to be a little bit short-sided, and I'd rather save that money and buy another bike from them (fatbike) the following year. Just wanted to get all of your opinions here; biased, unbiased, whatever you've got. I'm open to other frame recommendations as well if there is something comparable.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
Considering a new frame this year, looking at a couple of different options but the PR6 keeps rising to the top. One of the constraints I am working with is that I've recently (early last season) just invested in rim brake race wheels. I am not really interested in the disc vs. rim brake debate, lets just assume this to be one of the assumptions in the selection criteria.

I have been interacting with QR and they have been great so far. I was able to send them my GURU fit specifics, and they were able to say with confidence that I could be fit on a 54cm and would just need a set of risers for my existing set of aero bars (PD Svet carbon base bar with T4+ carbon extensions). With that said, a big part of the value prop for me is that I can basically strip my existing bike (GURU CR.901), which is Ultegra Di2, and simply purchase the frame and the direct mount rear brake. So basically $3k plus labor to get into get into a modern, almost-superbike with all sorts of integrated storage, can run bigger tires, and ultimately includes race wheels with a rear disc wheel option included. The wheels are HED jet blacks with the machined brake track which I've had NO issues with stopping.

My LBS (which I love dearly) does not agree with me on this topic, they feel strongly that I should buy a P-series and just deal with the cost of new wheels that are disc brake capable later. I personally find that to be a little bit short-sided, and I'd rather save that money and buy another bike from them (fatbike) the following year. Just wanted to get all of your opinions here; biased, unbiased, whatever you've got. I'm open to other frame recommendations as well if there is something comparable.

Go with a PRfive if you are going to add your own bars. (ideally I'd suggest a PRfive with a Tririg Alpha One + Tririg brakes for the ultimate setup.) If you are happy with your wheels then stick with rim brake wheels... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes we all used for decades. Bike shops just love that they have something "new" to sell and I completely get that. If you didn't have wheels then sure... disc would be the way to go but not if you have a set of wheels you are happy with. I think the PR is a great ride.

Here is my wife's PRfive+tririg, super happy with out it turned out.

Thanks in advance for the feedback![/quote]
Last edited by: gregtay: Mar 30, 20 15:05
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What crank arm length is your wife using?
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What crank arm length is your wife using?

I believe she is on 165s

Quote | Reply
She might want to try 150mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
She might want to try 150mm.
Thanks for the suggestion. We have made a few changes since that photo (seat is further forward and a little higher which opened her hip angle up a bit) so the fit is a better now, but I will still see if I can get some 150's for her to try.

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Go with a PRfive if you are going to add your own bars. (ideally I'd suggest a PRfive with a Tririg Alpha One + Tririg brakes for the ultimate setup.) If you are happy with your wheels then stick with rim brake wheels... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes we all used for decades. Bike shops just love that they have something "new" to sell and I completely get that. If you didn't have wheels then sure... disc would be the way to go but not if you have a set of wheels you are happy with. I think the PR is a great ride.

Thanks for the response! Curious as to why the recommendation on the 5 vs the 6? From what I was told, the difference between them is related to the carbon layup, not anything related to stem or cockpit? They actually sell the 6 with my cockpit standard on a complete bike if you were to buy mechanical. Regardless, you wive’s ride looks fantastic!
Last edited by: MJGuswiler: Mar 30, 20 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
gregtay wrote:

Thanks for the response! Curious as to why the recommendation on the 5 vs the 6? From what I was told, the difference between them is related to the carbon layup, not anything related to stem or cockpit? They actually sell the 6 with my cockpit standard on a complete bike if you were to buy mechanical. Regardless, you wive’s ride looks fantastic!

PR6 uses an integrated fork/stem. PR5 uses a standard stem. I prefer the Alpha One for more fit flexibility

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
MJGuswiler wrote:
gregtay wrote:

Go with a PRfive if you are going to add your own bars. (ideally I'd suggest a PRfive with a Tririg Alpha One + Tririg brakes for the ultimate setup.) [..] Here is my wife's PRfive+tririg, super happy with out it turned out.

Thanks for the response! Curious as to why the recommendation on the 5 vs the 6? [..]

PR6 uses an integrated fork/stem. PR5 uses a standard stem. I prefer the Alpha One for more fit flexibility
BINGO! Thanks for posting this Greg. I've had SO many people ask me this exact question, but your picture is absolutely worth the thousand or so words I try to use on each email to explain it. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy that lovely image for future QR inquiries on the topic. May I send you one of our Kappa cages as a thank-you gift? Please shoot an email to support@tririg and we would love to set you up with one.

Stay safe!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
gregtay wrote:
MJGuswiler wrote:
gregtay wrote:

Go with a PRfive if you are going to add your own bars. (ideally I'd suggest a PRfive with a Tririg Alpha One + Tririg brakes for the ultimate setup.) [..] Here is my wife's PRfive+tririg, super happy with out it turned out.

Thanks for the response! Curious as to why the recommendation on the 5 vs the 6? [..]

BINGO! Thanks for posting this Greg. I've had SO many people ask me this exact question, but your picture is absolutely worth the thousand or so words I try to use on each email to explain it. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy that lovely image for future QR inquiries on the topic. May I send you one of our Kappa cages as a thank-you gift? Please shoot an email to support@tririg and we would love to set you up with one.

Stay safe!

Certainly, good to hear it can help you out.:)

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:

Ok so this makes perfect sense, thank you! That said, if my fit falls within the constraints of the integrated stem system, I could do the 6. Or are you saying save the extra $1k, buy the 5 and the Alpha 1? (Love TriRig products btw). Any noticeable difference in ride quality due to the layup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
gregtay wrote:

Ok so this makes perfect sense, thank you! That said, if my fit falls within the constraints of the integrated stem system, I could do the 6. Or are you saying save the extra $1k, buy the 5 and the Alpha 1? (Love TriRig products btw). Any noticeable difference in ride quality due to the layup?

I think the PRfive + Alpha is a better bike (more aero/cleaner, lighter (bike shaves some weight) and more fit options (tilt, quick stack adjustment, etc.) So yes... it is about the same money (PRfive+Tririg or the PR6) but in the end I think the PRfive+Alpha is a better bike. This was the exact decision we made on my wife's bike and I am very happy with the result.

Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
gregtay wrote:

And on layup... no, i don't think you are going to notice any difference whatsoever.

Quote | Reply
In aero the differences are marginal between that suggested PR5 set up compared to the PR6. But the looks of both bikes.......the PR6 with the bayonet fork is soooooo much better looking. No doubt which one to get, when you see the ‘live’ standing side by side there is no doubt.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggled for sometime with the PR5 vs PR6 choice last year. I was moving all my components from a BMC TM01. I finally upgraded to the PR6 with my Ultegra DI2 kit, existing aerobars and Zipp 404's. I did upgrade to the tririg brakes and was very happy. I love my PR6 and am very happy with my decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s [driver_ian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driver_ian wrote:
I struggled for sometime with the PR5 vs PR6 choice last year. I was moving all my components from a BMC TM01. I finally upgraded to the PR6 with my Ultegra DI2 kit, existing aerobars and Zipp 404's. I did upgrade to the tririg brakes and was very happy. I love my PR6 and am very happy with my decision.

So this is exactly where I am at with it, did some initial analysis and its actually cheaper to do the 6 than the 5 with the alpha. Curious which aerobars you are using, also curious to see how clean the front end ended up being not using the PD aeria stuff. Were you to hide most of the cables and the junction box? Still on the fence and will ultimately defer to my fitter regarding what will work best for me, but I have an inkling I can fit into both.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PR6 Frameset ?'s [driver_ian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After consulting with my bike fitter, it looks like the PR6 actually fits me better than the PR5 with the TriRig Alpha cockpit, guess that's why there are so many different options? Looks like PR6 for my with my existing cockpit, no complaints there, I mean this was a win:win anyway :)
Quote Reply