Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this guy is a treasure. 45 minute video about kayaking around southern Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWnNjn1pki4

"today was rough and tough . . . i've got a broken toe, chafe to the right arm and nipple, and these shorts are starting to stink."
Quote Reply
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His mile an hour film was awesome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, funny and inspirational. Such a big heart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead for some positive vibes in this whole conundrum :-)
I read three books recently that were as different from each other as can possibly be, but all three brilliant in their own right:

Non-fictious: "Thinking, fast and slow" by Daniel Kahnemann. Fascinating insights into how the human mind works, brilliantly written. Daniel Kahnemann is a psychologists, but his ground-breaking works have impacted many different fields and have actually earned him a nobel prize in Economics. Especially recommended for Mjuric and other free-market libertarians :-)

Fiction: "Witches abroad", a Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett. The man needs no introduction, of course, but this one is probably more accessible to first-time readers than other works by him. Truly hilarious, I was laughing out loud so many times while reading, my wife thought I was losing my last few marbles...

Also fiction, but utterly different: "Circe" by Madeline Miller. Brilliant story set in the framework of ancient Greek mythology, but told from a totally unexpected angle. Also not kind to your usual gods and heros...

Now I need some fresh suggestions. Let's hear them!
Quote Reply
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Faulkner. He wrote about 23 volumes of novels and short stories, totaling around 9000 pages. His writing style is not easy to follow but, if you can get used to it, he is quite rewarding to read. His focus is on the "Old South" as in the southern U.S from the Civil War through around 1950. I've read all 23 once, about 10 or so twice, and one ("The Sound and the Fury") three times. His complex writing style makes his books worthwhile to read a 2nd or even 3rd time b/c you catch a lot that you missed the first time through. I'm currently reading his first novel, "Soldiers Pay", for the second time. It focuses on the homecoming of a severely wounded soldier from WWI.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mande and would strongly recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get In The Van - Henry Rollins's diary of his years in Black Flag

Starts off like "Yay!!! I'm in the band" and deteriorates into "I gotta get out of this band"

He mentions shows I saw at the East Side Club in Philly ['This place is a dump'] and City Gardens in Trenton ['Randy (Now) is a great guy/]

Many references to 7-Eleven, naturally

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've started reading the Jack Reacher series. Easy brain candy that passes the time. My local library has them all free ebooks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Walking Dead comic is now available on Kindle Unlimited ($7/month). I'm into book 4, but I may stop here. It is getting a bit more gruesome than I'm into, and it may be a bit too depressing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost halfway through Cryptonomicom by Neal Stephenson and enjoying it. Heard of him over the years but this is the first time I've read his work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just think about Edward Abbey’s Monkey Wrench Gang. I wonder if it would be as fun to read again.

I’m reading The Vicar of Wakefield now. I kind of stumbled across it, and it’s funny.
Quote Reply
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
I've started reading the Jack Reacher series. Easy brain candy that passes the time. My local library has them all free ebooks.

Really liked 1-10. Then they get a bit stale, but I still read them when they come out.
Quote Reply
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken wrote:
Almost halfway through Cryptonomicom by Neal Stephenson and enjoying it. Heard of him over the years but this is the first time I've read his work.

Snow Crash is definitely his best work in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished Havana motor club. A Documentary of some Cuban street racers and there quest to compete in the first government approved race since the 1960 grand prix. It’s pretty fascinating how innovative one can be when you have nothing. The ingenuity to put together some of these cars is pretty sick. Unfortunately if you don’t speak Spanish you’ll have to do a lot of reading
but it would be worth it IMO.
I found this on Tubi . It’s a free app on comcast.
Last edited by: Dirt fighter: Apr 24, 20 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching Billions on the free Showtime pass.

Rereading 7 Pillars of Wisdom
Quote Reply
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched Extraction on Netflix. Kidnapping/action movie set in India. I gave it a 7/10 for acting, 8/10 for action.

Reasonable entertainment for a covid Friday, the Thor guy is in it.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re-reading Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast & Slow. After that I'm going to tear through Jack Carr's series of books starting with The Terminal List, True Believer, and Savage Son. I'm moving those to the front of my backlog. I think I'll like them, and also I don't read fiction often but I am in the mood for a good story.

We're finishing off the last couple episodes of Shameless tonight. After that, I hope to read more, and I hope she practices piano more while I read rather than the two of us watching TV.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: The Corona Reading and Movie / Media Thread. [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Re-reading Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast & Slow. After that I'm going to tear through Jack Carr's series of books starting with The Terminal List, True Believer, and Savage Son. I'm moving those to the front of my backlog. I think I'll like them, and also I don't read fiction often but I am in the mood for a good story.

We're finishing off the last couple episodes of Shameless tonight. After that, I hope to read more, and I hope she practices piano more while I read rather than the two of us watching TV.

I saw Shameless in the recommended shows. 10 seasons. Even if it's good I just don't want to start down that path.
Quote Reply

Prev Next