Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OBS project

I've seen OBS mentioned a few times on this thread. Several people have told me I NEED to start using it.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get some good tutorials on how to get up to speed and running with OBS. Low tech guy here, so go easy on me. But willing to learn and get with the program.

Long story, but I have had to move rather quickly with my business and service offering, and get up to speed with doing some of what I do, streamed online.

Thanks.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
OBS project

I've seen OBS mentioned a few times on this thread. Several people have told me I NEED to start using it.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get some good tutorials on how to get up to speed and running with OBS. Low tech guy here, so go easy on me. But willing to learn and get with the program.

Long story, but I have had to move rather quickly with my business and service offering, and get up to speed with doing some of what I do, streamed online.

Thanks.

two good sources. one are the folks from Gaming Careers. great youtube vids. like this one. also just spectacularly done is our own gplama, he's put up a terrific video on this just in the last month.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i so far have been pretty happy with my HP Omen Obelisk 875-034. the only problem with it is it's... windows. but i chose it because of OBS Studio and similar platforms that just seem more gaming optimized (gaming in my parlance simply meaning the use case, not the graphics API).

You ended up with almost exactly the same system specs as I did. I already had a case, etc. So, I just bought a board/CPU/Mem/graphics. But, the only difference is that I ended up with the "1660 SUPER" instead of the "1660 Ti" because Newegg had a deal.

I haven't tried Zwift, becuase well....its nice outside. I have been using it for my other pass-time (car racing via iRacing). CV19 cancelled all real autoracing, too. And, frankly it rocks. I also acquired an Oculus, and that is as cool to experience as it is Geeky to look at someone using it. Smooth as glass with full rendering.

Does Zwift support VR/HMD? THAT might be a hoot.

I would really like to try out Zwift with VR, although my bigger concern there is sweat! Like you, I've also been enjoying a lot of iRacing these days and really, really want to get one of the Fanatec-equipped 3 monitor setups those guys are using and start iRacing... Or, at least enhance my Zwift experience with the 3 monitor setup. As one of my gaming geek friends said when I was describing Zwift with a smart trainer to him, "oh, so the trainer is kind pretty much a force-feedback steering wheel for cycling, then?" I can go with that thought process. I believe Zwift also supports 5.1 audio, too. I'll ask around and see what Zwift can support beyond a single monitor.

Back to the main conversation, I have upgraded the rig I built for the ST article on the front page to a 1660 SUPER and it's a nice step up from the vanilla 1660. That was a small upgrade but just enough to smooth things out where I rarely drop below 60 fps, even with a lot of avatars on screen like in a group ride. That rig handles Zwift at Ultra 4K nicely. I do think a 2060 SUPER would be a nice next step, or maybe a 5700 XT. Like Slowman, I'm also playing with OBS alongside Zwift and other indoor training apps, and find that starts to push the limits a bit more. It would be nice to have that extra overhead. Nonetheless, by dialing it back to 1080 from 4k with OBS running, I'm getting a decent stream. I have a lot to learn about optimizing OBS, for sure.

Oh, and for Slowman: a Streamdeck or the Streamdeck app on an iPad is a really useful tool.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm buying a friends fanatec clubsport setup. Cs v2 wheel, v3 pedals, and 7 speed shifter. I built a cockpit with a spare alimnum racecar seat that replicates all the control locations from my real car. The VR setup is the shit for iracing. Our championship race is this weekend on the Daytona full road course AT NIGHT. That track ROCKS in VR. Driving on the banks and being able to lean forward and look up around the T1/2 through the windshield or look down at the infield or up at the wall. Friggin cool. I totally blew through the bus stop because I was just looking around.

Yeah, Im impressed with the 1660 SUPER. it's a solid upgrade over the other 1660 versions. And for whatever reason new egg had it at a lower price that either of the others a few weeks ago. It runs iRacing in VR with ultra detail and 40 cars at a solid 80 fps (the refresh of the Rift S).
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running it on a NZ99 second hand HP8200 with a GT1030 graphics card added driving a 23" monitor and a 38"wall mounted $200 television. Depending on if I'm racing or training the one screen shows streaming Netflix the other zwift. (the lower one being the one I am most focused on. Even at peak usage over last few weeks and taking part in the biggest race series zwift has ever had, I've not had any issues with the PCs.

Don't get me wrong, I've gone one way which is to have a specific machine 100% purposed to Zwift and has no other purpose. I can totally see that to some this is more expensive than speccing some gamer rig that they would buy for other purposes. FWIW then when on holiday I also run Zwift on my 4 year old Surface Pro i5 with minimal issues - needs to be on mains and did turn off one day when I had it in full summer sun and the thing overheated. I suspect in that case zwift was irrelevant, it would have overheated if I'd been browsing the net with it getting baked by the sun. I've just yesterday upgraded that surface to a new one as the old one could play Gopro videos because of some codec thing, so you could argue my dedicated zwift setup is a waste of money as I could have one machine for all uses.

Back to the previous comment. Zwift is chicken feed stuff for almost any modern PC. No matter what it is you buy now then zwift will run fine. The only question is if you need to run additional things at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To specifically mention this (as it's oft-overlooked,) the 1660 cards use the exact same turing architecture for encoding as the RTX series cards. For those of you who are planning on taking streaming seriously, because it enables the NVENC NEW encoder, which is fantastic at encoding very high quality in real time, with very minimal CPU and GPU load (The nvenc encoder uses a discrete, separate chipset for the encode.) And as mentioned, this is the exact same chip from the 1660 all the way up to the 2080TI RTX. As long as your game itself can run well on the 1660, for instance, like Zwift easily can, then the encoder can handle it perfectly fine as well. It's a good way to save some cash if your game itself doesn't need the heavy lifting of an RTX card.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: May 6, 20 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a bit cheap to post a link to a list of builds, but if you have any interest in building your own PC there are a range of builds listed at PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Streaming is pretty resource intensive depending on what resolution you want to output at. If streaming is a driving factor for the purhcase and you're intent on streaming at 1080, I would err on the side spending a little bit more.
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
It's a bit cheap to post a link to a list of builds, but if you have any interest in building your own PC there are a range of builds listed at PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Streaming is pretty resource intensive depending on what resolution you want to output at. If streaming is a driving factor for the purhcase and you're intent on streaming at 1080, I would err on the side spending a little bit more.

Those are a *pretty good* starting point, but a bit outdated in some spots and a bit more AAA-game focused in other areas. The "Modest Intel" or "Modest AMD" would be pretty great overall, especially if you swap the 1660TI for a Super. The TI is overpriced vs the Super at this point. But yeah, great starting point. The "Great" systems are good too, but you'd want to swap back to the 1660 cards over team red.

The big thing I'm trying to convey here is that spending money for the RTX cards just for Zwift is a bit much right now. Especially since you can make the 1660s use RTX Voice as well (a bit of a bodge though, to be fair.) I could see RTX voice being a bigger draw for RTX cards than actual Zwift performance at this point though, for streamers looking to rid fan and trainer noise.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: May 7, 20 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I’d bump this thread a year later. I’ve heard a lot of computer parts have been hard to come by, any new recommendations from people for a computer under 1000 which runs Zwift well at 4K and 60fps?

This HP Pavilion one is $680 and has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 which I think I read was a go to for Zwift 4K. Good option or are there better deals out there?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Deal on a Gaming Rig RIGHT NOW (for Zwift) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Thought I’d bump this thread a year later. I’ve heard a lot of computer parts have been hard to come by, any new recommendations from people for a computer under 1000 which runs Zwift well at 4K and 60fps?

This HP Pavilion one is $680 and has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 which I think I read was a go to for Zwift 4K. Good option or are there better deals out there?

That's a pretty sweet deal.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next