Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not too concerned

the "filter" cut from the hepa vacuum cleaner bag sits in a pouch with fabric separating it from your mouth. That should trap debris shed from the filter.

I think the mask itself will serve the purpose of protecting others from your excretions without an additional filter.

I was looking for a way to offer further protection of the person wearing the mask from others who may be shedding the virus.

I spoke to an infectious disease expert about the use of the filter/mask. He thought it would be as effective as the n95.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most recent info I've seen from a variety of sources is that cotton fabric is now emerging as the preferred medium for non-medically certified filter material. Do you have cotton in the shop, or is it all synthetics? If you could make these with cotton you could 1.Show that you're up on the latest research, and 2.Also sell me a few!
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it doesn't seem like there are very clear answers to be up on -- cotton as a cloth is better than some synthetic cloths in terms of virus life, but cotton becoming saturated is a shortcoming... some studies suggest the design (of non-medical masks) may be more important than the type of fabric.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve B wrote:
Most recent info I've seen from a variety of sources is that cotton fabric is now emerging as the preferred medium for non-medically certified filter material. Do you have cotton in the shop, or is it all synthetics? If you could make these with cotton you could 1.Show that you're up on the latest research, and 2.Also sell me a few!

nevertheless, a lot of people seem to want his. as is evidenced by what is on our front page today.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
But it doesn't seem like there are very clear answers to be up on -- cotton as a cloth is better than some synthetic cloths in terms of virus life, but cotton becoming saturated is a shortcoming... some studies suggest the design (of non-medical masks) may be more important than the type of fabric.

My wife has been sewing up some masks, using the "blue shop towel" method. Fortunately I had huge Costco bail of these in my shop from before the pandemic. Very easy to make vs. cutting up AC filters, etc.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 6, 20 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [sametime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sametime wrote:

I spoke to an infectious disease expert about the use of the filter/mask. He thought it would be as effective as the n95.

I just can't see how this is the case. In a former life I used to be a member of our company's volunteer emergency response team. There were quite a few hazardous chemicals in the labs, and the local FD really had no idea or interest in properly dealing with spills of these chemicals, so we were the first line of defense in an accident. We used to practice and certify quartely on the use of PPE, up to and including SCBA gear and full hazmat suits. One of the things we had to do was an annual fit test for whatever PPE we were certified to use. That involved wearing a mask and doing various things like talking, exercising, etc. while they measured for leaks around the mask seal. It's pretty eye-opening to see how little it takes to get one of those masks to leak if it's not propery fitted and you're not careful and clean-shaven. It doesn't take much of some of those chemicals to have a really bad day.

My understanding is that N95 masks require a similar (though admittedly less rigorous) fit test to ensure they fit each individual properly. I just can't see how Emilio's (or anyone else's) sewn fabric mask, with or without a HEPA filter, can achieve a good enough seal to be equivalent to a properly fit N95 mask. Now, that's not to say that Emilio's masks are no good- I've ordered a bunch for our family and extended family and they're arriving today. But, it would be a HUGE mistake IMO to assume you have N95-like protection with these masks by adding some HEPA material to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
sametime wrote:

I just can't see how this is the case. In a former life I used to be a member of our company's volunteer emergency response team. There were quite a few hazardous chemicals in the labs, and the local FD really had no idea or interest in properly dealing with spills of these chemicals, so we were the first line of defense in an accident. We used to practice and certify quartely on the use of PPE, up to and including SCBA gear and full hazmat suits. One of the things we had to do was an annual fit test for whatever PPE we were certified to use. That involved wearing a mask and doing various things like talking, exercising, etc. while they measured for leaks around the mask seal. It's pretty eye-opening to see how little it takes to get one of those masks to leak if it's not propery fitted and you're not careful and clean-shaven. It doesn't take much of some of those chemicals to have a really bad day.

My understanding is that N95 masks require a similar (though admittedly less rigorous) fit test to ensure they fit each individual properly. I just can't see how Emilio's (or anyone else's) sewn fabric mask, with or without a HEPA filter, can achieve a good enough seal to be equivalent to a properly fit N95 mask. Now, that's not to say that Emilio's masks are no good- I've ordered a bunch for our family and extended family and they're arriving today. But, it would be a HUGE mistake IMO to assume you have N95-like protection with these masks by adding some HEPA material to them.

Similar to you, I, too am a bit sceptical about that claim. At least some N95 respirators operate on more than principle of size exclusion, and these respirators contain fibers having electrical charges (aka electret fibers), and these electret fibers also help with the filtering. Conversion of regular polymeric fibers into polymeric fibers bearing static charges is far from trivial.

That said, similar to you, I've also ordered a few mask from De Soto, as the masks would fill in for occasions when we aren't around too many other people (e.g. taking a walk or perhaps even a bike ride).
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 6, 20 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my desoto gear and totally applaud desoto making masks. Must be getting a ton of orders so just wondered what kind of shipping lead time folks are seeing who ordered recently. Desoto saying at least 72 hours to ship on the desoto mask page and 4 days on facebook (as of april 4) Wishing best to all. Thanks for any updates
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took a week

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered my masks Thursday of last week and received them yesterday. 8 days for order to be processed and shipped from San Diego to Mobile, AL via postal service.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: As of today, April 15, 2020, All orders are now shipping within 24 business hours from the time of order. This does not include saturdays and sundays so that our staff, who has been working 7 days a week for over 3 weeks, can have weekends to rest.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought some. Understand the science but the skin cooler fabric is just so comfortable that I expect I will touch my face less and thus mainly protect others and then myself. Got pairs for the wife and kid as well. I'm a cheapskate but will buy DeSoto bc the quality really is insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered four masks. Pulling for Desoto to navigate thru these difficult times!
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [dhinkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to you and everyone who has ordered. Please continue to spread the word.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
Thank you to you and everyone who has ordered. Please continue to spread the word.
I have two on the way. Always been happy with the brand so happy to support and have another good product.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Desoto masks were not a good fit for me. I work as a hospital chaplain and have only been able to use surgical masks (tie behind the head) due to the size / shape of my head.The common yellow procedure masks won’t stay in place for any length of time because they are too stretched out - continually comes off my nose. With the Desoto mask I barley have enough material to tie the straps. When tied, it pulls it so tightly that the mask forms significant gaps to the sides of my nose and won’t stay in place when speaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [wakinglife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello sir, We appreciate your feedback, but why not take a shoe lace or string and tie it to the straps of the mask and make it a more customized fit? or tie the sides and wear it around the back of your ears?

See photos on our product page here:

wakinglife wrote:
The Desoto masks were not a good fit for me. I work as a hospital chaplain and have only been able to use surgical masks (tie behind the head) due to the size / shape of my head.The common yellow procedure masks won’t stay in place for any length of time because they are too stretched out - continually comes off my nose. With the Desoto mask I barley have enough material to tie the straps. When tied, it pulls it so tightly that the mask forms significant gaps to the sides of my nose and won’t stay in place when speaking.

Emilio De Soto II
Last edited by: Emilio: Apr 17, 20 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck. My wife and I had a good laugh trying the different tie methods. There just isn’t enough material between nose and chin for me. The masks work just fine for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We received our masks lat Monday, and I took them out yesterday to be laundered before wear.

Quick question re: suggestion on wearing them while exercising. Any suggestions on how to drink from a bottle while wearing the mask?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Emilio! I ordered six masks and two of the buffs. Arrived today and seem to worker great, not gotten sick yet!

Joined ST just to say thanks! I may have to try out some of your bibs soon!
Quote Reply
Re: Help a brother out, DeSoto [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are running or riding with someone who does not live with you, you do not need to wear a mask while running or cycling. As for drinking while on the bike, I do so by lift up the bottom of the mask.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply

Prev Next