Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT wrote:
ubdawg wrote:
+1 Silver Comet multi-use path is made for riding like this. You just have to be patient. Now if you do this on the Beltline or Big Creek Greenway in Alpharetta you're just asking to hurt someone or someone's annoying little dog on an extended leash.

Beltline or Big Creek would be suicide. I have used Big Creek as a shortcut to get back to my car, but riding casually.

On the Silver Comet patient the first 6 miles, then pretty much wide open to Alabama state line, or even Anniston Alabama. If I see people near trail heads, we back off and I ring my bell so they know we are coming.

I knew a guy who took a kids helmet to his face when he was not patient on the Silver Comet. I think he expected a 9 year old to hold her line. The girl was okay. He had 100+ stitches to his face and a number of root canals and crowns.

We used to do the Pee on Alabama Ride. Part one was riding to the Alabama state line. Part three was riding back.

Ha....not nearly as bad as my one accident on the Comet, but I was being patient just ended up with squirrely kid. I was on the stretch heading back to the Nickajack trailhead about 4 miles out right before Comet cycles (this is the point where I start to slowdown), but this kid was riding straight at me on my side of the path looking backwards at his parents a good 50 to 100 yards back who had just crossed the street. I slowed to about 10 mph yelled out "hey kid" to which he whipped around, saw me, and moved over to his side quickly. I thought all was good except I met up with him right at the turnoff for the parking lot, which he needed to get to. He panicked and instead of just stopping he turned back across the lane right in front of me. I slammed my brakes, whipped my wheel left, and luckily hit his back wheel instead T-boning the kid, but I flipped over my handle bars and landed on my side. His parents came running asking if I was ok, and as soon as I said I was they turned and started chewing out their kid barely even checking on him. Felt sorry when the kid started crying for getting yelled at, but luckily we were all ok. Just a little banged up, but nothing few days off didn't take care of.
Quote Reply
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
We used to have a cycling team ride in a local park, buzz by people, block cars from passing and piss them off. Then the drivers would yell at everyone else and buzz by us.

Our club president and representatives from other clubs had a discussion with their team manager. It stopped after that.

We have a team like that near us. The President of the team has only one goal, to get as many "members" on his team as possible for the annual Bike MS: City to Shore ride in September. He doesn't care if they ever ride with him again, just as long as his team is the biggest on that day, and he gets as many blue jerseys out there as possible

Most of them have no bike sense whatsoever, either on that day, or whenever else they ride. In fact, a few years ago, a whole pack of them came flying into the rest stop, and ran D'Wife right off the road, crunching her knee.

We call them "The Blue Menace" and many other cycling clubs who do the same charity rides have equal disdain for them

He's been called out for that several times only to reply "They only ride for us once a year, and if they don't follow the rules, I can't be held responsible for they behavior outside of Club activities"

He's a complete dick

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a bad look, packs of cyclists blowing stop signs and lights. One reason I never go out on a bike. There's enough pissed off drivers without them being irritated by the 'best' and most knowledgeable of us.
Quote Reply
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
E.g. here's a mixed-used bike path near me. That is not for going more than about 10MPH.

You need to get up early to ride that bike path fast but you have a great view of the city from there.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT wrote:

On the Silver Comet patient the first 6 miles, then pretty much wide open to Alabama state line, or even Anniston Alabama.

I've been using the Comet since 2004, but only on Sundays for typically a little less aggressive pace. However, I've been guilty at times of getting into a race with folk when the path is open. There are times of the year even the first 10 miles are open when it is cold or when it is really hot. I do most of my real training on rural roads northwest of Atlanta.

I've probably seen more accidents on the Comet than anywhere else and mostly from inexperienced cyclist or on occasion an experienced cyclist hitting a patch of wet leaves.

When it looks like this why go slow? Unless one wants to meander along. I like speed when it is open.

A rare opportunity to chase a police officer. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They put Speed Limit signs on the trails around here because the Horse people started bitching. They have money and get what they want. The police run radar on the trail some days. A lawyer in our group made a post, "If you get a ticket on the path, you will get the fine in court. Your friendly lawyer." Not knowing your speed is not an excuse.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the bike paths in Gainesville, FL get like that, but you never know if there will be a deer or worse, an alligator, jumping in your way.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alligators can jump? Oh shit!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Team riders riding like assholes/intervals on a bike path [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
They put Speed Limit signs on the trails around here because the Horse people started bitching. They have money and get what they want. The police run radar on the trail some days. A lawyer in our group made a post, "If you get a ticket on the path, you will get the fine in court. Your friendly lawyer." Not knowing your speed is not an excuse.

Around here the horse people beat out both the "wannabe bike racer turd" and the "flexy leash or off leash" people. They're the most entitled arrogant pricks. They don't obey the "horse specific" rules on the trails then get supremely offended when a jogger or cyclist has to pass them.

IMHO if you have your horse on an MUP with joggers and bikes of any kind..........you're a pretty lazy/stupid horse owner to not know where to take your horse to have a good time. There's a LOT of super nice places to take horses that people and bikes can't really go or aren't allowed to go. There's a lot of state park areas that are "no bikes" but only hike/horse.

It's probably a ratio of 5:1 of places horses can go that bikes aren't allowed to go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next