Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Least challenging Ironman
Quote | Reply
Ok, I know this has been done to death.

Let me give a quick rundown before I get crucified for asking a question I know I shouldn’t ask.

The wife said to me last night that she wants to do an Ironman with me next year. The problem is she’s very much a beginner and finishing is difficult for anyone especially her. While I know there are no easy IM courses, I’m looking for which one theoretically takes the least amount of training to complete in the allotted 17 hours.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Least challenging Ironman [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Europe, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Emilia Romangna (Italy), Challenge Roth

Where are your wife's strengths? Potentially Hamburg, but swim is so so, Ride (6km Long) is flat, windy and dull, Run, however, is amazing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida is very flat and fast. The bike is mostly sheltered by trees so crosswinds are not a huge problem until the last 10mi or so when you ride along the coast. The run is also well supported by crowds and IMO most of the "elevation" gain on the course are probably accounted by the speed bumps through one of the neighborhoods. The ocean swim gives you the added buoyancy of the salt water, but if the wind comes out of the South you can get some decent chop. Still, it's considered a good course for beginners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to talk to her about is maybe doing a bunch of mini vacations around some 70.3's instead of an IM.
Arrive the day before the race, race, party like rock stars for 2d then head home.

Not as daunting as a full and way, way more enjoyable both in the training and the trips

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Least challenging Ironman [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
One thing to talk to her about is maybe doing a bunch of mini vacations around some 70.3's instead of an IM.
Arrive the day before the race, race, party like rock stars for 2d then head home.

Not as daunting as a full and way, way more enjoyable both in the training and the trips

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my opinion is AZ, simply because flat courses mean constant pedaling, I feel like AZ had the perfect profile to allow one a break in the body position while not adding enough of a climb to hurt untrained legs. That being said, do what desert dude recommended

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with selecting a couple 70.3's that you can make a fun weekend out of. If your wife has her heart set on Ironman make sure the race you choose has a 17-hour cut-off. I saw Roth mentioned, but I believe it's only 15. Same with a few others in Europe. I think Louisville is 16.5-hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should check what coach cox says on his website = https://www.coachcox.co.uk/
Quote Reply
Re: Least challenging Ironman [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The races in Europe typically have finishing times under 17 hours. I'm not sure about all the ones you mentioned, but Roth is 15 hours and NOT easy for slower folks. The hills are quite deceptive.

I'd say Florida or Arizona.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife was in same boat - went from zero tri experience to Lake Placid year after I did it and completed all 140.6 miles, but just after the cut-off. Two years later she took 3 hours off her time at IM Maryland, which was the independent Chesepeakeman then, in a monsoon and finished 3rd in her age group (small field and it was monsooning). IM Maryland is a good course for your wife.
Quote Reply
Re: Least challenging Ironman [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
My wife was in same boat - went from zero tri experience to Lake Placid year after I did it and completed all 140.6 miles, but just after the cut-off. Two years later she took 3 hours off her time at IM Maryland, which was the independent Chesepeakeman then, in a monsoon and finished 3rd in her age group (small field and it was monsooning). IM Maryland is a good course for your wife.

This is exactly the thing I’m afraid of. She’s very much a novice in all 3 disciplines. IMMD does sound good. I’m mostly looking for high completion rate, fast courses that build that cushion so to speak away from cutoff.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she will be able to train in a warm/hot environment September - November, then IM Cozumel may be worth considering. Even with the wind on the bike course, I thought it was one of the more beginner-friendly of the 19 IM courses I've done. On a good weather day, IM Maryland could also be one of the better courses for beginners. IM Florida and Louisville may be worth a look as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EU cut off is normally 15 in germany and 16 in most other countries. But do you sign up to do it in 15:59?
Check obstri.com, ypu can filter on easy bike and run! Temperature is importamt to remember too! E.g. conzumel is hot but epute is easy.
Does she need wetsuit legal route? Also important to remember. Later races leaves more time to train up to too.
Also if it is a one off watch out for racea that often cancel the swim!
Quote Reply
Re: Least challenging Ironman [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
In Europe, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Emilia Romangna (Italy), Challenge Roth

Where are your wife's strengths? Potentially Hamburg, but swim is so so, Ride (6km Long) is flat, windy and dull, Run, however, is amazing

roth is 15 hours. i know, my wife did it. at 15 hour mark, fireworks go off
Quote Reply
Re: Least challenging Ironman [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love FL did it 6 times but you never know what the weather will be in early Nov. One time it was 37 degrees F in the morning and the next year it was 80 degrees. Even if it is cold the water temp is in the low 70s.
Quote Reply
Re: Least challenging Ironman [Joe Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IMFL twice (was also my first one); the one challenge of being a flat course is the constant pedaling and using the same muscle groups. Swim can be hit or miss, first year the water was dead calm and it was perfect. Second year it was choppy with some big swells from an offshore storm.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply