Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dumb tyre width question.
Quote | Reply
I know I could Google, but am after people's actual experiences..

How much difference have you noticed as you have run thicker tyres on your road bike?

I am planning to bike commute a lot more this year, and was going to buy a cheap MTB... but I have a relatively idle road bike sitting at home...so instead, i thought of running 28's or so on it because I have been told it's a nicer (& somewhat safer) ride than 21's/23's - and far less prone to punctures.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb tyre width question. [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:

How much difference have you noticed as you have run thicker tyres on your road bike?

I am planning to bike commute a lot more this year, and was going to buy a cheap MTB... but I have a relatively idle road bike sitting at home...so instead, i thought of running 28's or so on it because I have been told it's a nicer (& somewhat safer) ride than 21's/23's - and far less prone to punctures.

Thoughts?
Lower tire pressures can reduce the force with which stabby things stab your tires, and this can make wider tires more resilient to punctures. But, I'm not sure that 28mm versus 23mm is significant enough to make a tangible difference in this regard... if it is, I've never noticed.

28s will typically have longer wear life than similarly-made 23s. And if your roads aren't smooth, they certainly can provide a comfort advantage, since wider tires can remain well-behaved at squishier inflation levels.

If you're concerned with punctures, tire type and setup will make a bigger difference than tire width. Tubeless tires with sealant aren't effective against sidewall cuts, but work well for pinhole flats. You could also use a tire with a beefy puncture-protection layer, although this comes with a performance compromise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:

Thoughts?

Get the 28’s and don’t look back. They are a great tire size with plenty of performance while rolling very smooth. Just use Conti 5000 in either tubed or tubeless. We’ve been converting even our aero wheels to wider internal widths to run the 28’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb tyre width question. [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
NAB777 wrote:

Thoughts?

Get the 28’s and don’t look back. They are a great tire size with plenty of performance while rolling very smooth. Just use Conti 5000 in either tubed or tubeless. We’ve been converting even our aero wheels to wider internal widths to run the 28’s.

Thanks, yeah I am going to give it a go.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb tyre width question. [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
NAB777 wrote:

Thoughts?

Ordered, arrived & put them on today. Couldn't test them though, because the wheel won't spin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benefits depend on your commute
-how much stuff are you carrying
-will you ride in all weather conditions
-road conditions

I found drop caused my back pack to slide up if I braked hard, tipping my helmet forward over my eyes😅

I found a lot of benefits to riding a cheap 26inch mtb all year... I have the saddle/stem at road bike drop
- cheap and durable
- high bb so can pedal through corners
-hardly have to pump the tyres, like maybe monthly to bi monthly... 2,35 schwalbe big apples have great puncture resistance, pump to 60psi so roll nicely, and are super durable, - - you can hit tram rails, potholes, rocks, curbs without any worry . I put a thinner one on front and still dont really have to watch out for stuff on the road
- disc brake mtbs are cheap... No adjustment and the rims dont wear, if you got sand and rain
- can put a rack on the back with a waterproof (thule) bag that can carry 18liters and your back doesnt get sweaty like with a backpack. Good for back and is relaxed for breathing and low center of gravity for handling. Feels like proper riding when you stand quickly too.
-all the mid range mtb stuff is designed to be durable off road, so it feels solid on the road daily.
- mtb shoes are easy to walk in and you can get gear that looks more urban/casual, you can even get spd sandals or fully waterproof boots for winter (those shimano boots are waterproof/windproof without covers)
- ergonomic hand grips are great, if youre still waking up on the ride, they are super comfortable and you can relax and still feel solid
-when you jump on your road bike with 23s you fly
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb tyre width question. [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, you are running 2.35" wide tires at 60 psi? Wow, that is rock hard for that width.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:

I have never had a big issue with punctures, so hard to comment on that. But going with wider tires has made my bike noticeably more comfortable. And it has also made it noticeably slower (slower at the same power output of course). But if speed is not critical for you (like on a bike commute), l would recommend that you try out the wider tires.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 1, 20 5:13
Quote Reply