Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It's Official - I will be a triathlete [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on signing up for your first Tri! Be consistent in your training, and sounds like you have a grip on not overdoing it. Once race day is here, remember to take it all in and enjoy!!! Pure awesomeness!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

Your first race is always the most fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Enjoy the journey. The race will be the payoff of a lot of hard work.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: It's Official - I will be a triathlete [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome to your new tribe - we will be gentle on you for a week, perhaps two, we will sell you power cranks, we will be envious of your rapid progress, btw = how did you hear of slow twitch?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: It's Official - I will be a triathlete [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
welcome to your new tribe - we will be gentle on you for a week, perhaps two, we will sell you power cranks, we will be envious of your rapid progress, btw = how did you hear of slow twitch?

thanks for the gentle welcome! haha

once I started to really consider doing a triathlon I realized there was a lot more to it then just swimming, cycling and running. so as I continued to research, more questions came up so I searched out a forum that was active and found this one.

exxxviii was insanely helpful to me when looking for my bike and a bunch of other stuff.

looking forward to earning my place here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
plant_based wrote:
M90 wrote:

Found the NYC one in July and without much further thought, registered.

Did you have to win a lottery to register for the NYC triathlon?

I said screw it, I'm wasn't going to let the cost get in the way.

Well you talk like a triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:

You are more brave than me. Open water swim in first triathlon is a bold move for sure.
I did pool swim Sprint tri for a year and moved on to OWS races.
Quote Reply
Re: It's Official - I will be a triathlete [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
M90 wrote:

You are more brave than me. Open water swim in first triathlon is a bold move for sure.
I did pool swim Sprint tri for a year and moved on to OWS races.

Obviously it is much different swimming with a ton of people swimming around you and that will for sure throw me off and I certainly know this will not be easy at all but

I've always been a decent swimmer. As a kid at sleep away camp we swam in a lake. Whenever I'm at the beach I have no problem swimming in the ocean with the waves and everything.

I'm also not really in this to beat a certain time or anything like that so if I take it a bit slower in the swim that's ok with me. I'm just doing this to push myself, better myself, and accomplish something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYC is a great race for your first Tri. I did it as my first a couple years ago.

The swim is probably the easiest swim in all of triathlon, because they time the start with the outgoing tide. It's a straight line down the river. You could literally tread water the entire way and make it to the finish if you needed to.

It's super well organized. The expo is good and they'll give you all the info you need. Very informative mandatory athlete brief at expo. They also do tours of the transition area the day before when you check your bike, so you know exactly what to do and where to go on race day.

Great crowd support! Nice bike up and down the West Side Highway. Run in Central Park. You'll have a blast! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: It's Official - I will be a triathlete [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and one other thing...

Your friends will all think you're bad ass, just for swimming in the Hudson River. :-D
Quote Reply
Re: It's Official - I will be a triathlete [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Congratulations!

Your first race is always the most fun!

No its NOT. I almost drowned, bike was terrible and wanted to die on the run.

The most fun race is the 1'st one you do with your son also on the start line.

To the OP. Good luck and enjoy. As long as you can float down the Hudson, the race will be a blast. Be careful on the West Side Highway - the potholes are a lot worse on a bike than in your car and the bike traffic is a lot like Thursday at 5.

The run is awesome across the west side and into the park.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:
NYC is a great race for your first Tri. I did it as my first a couple years ago.

The swim is probably the easiest swim in all of triathlon, because they time the start with the outgoing tide. It's a straight line down the river. You could literally tread water the entire way and make it to the finish if you needed to.

It's super well organized. The expo is good and they'll give you all the info you need. Very informative mandatory athlete brief at expo. They also do tours of the transition area the day before when you check your bike, so you know exactly what to do and where to go on race day.

Great crowd support! Nice bike up and down the West Side Highway. Run in Central Park. You'll have a blast! Good luck!

Might just bring a nice pool float for the start then hah

I'm really excited about it.

When I signed up it said I need to do some sort of open water swim certification. Any idea on where and how to do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
MattRnr wrote:

When I signed up it said I need to do some sort of open water swim certification. Any idea on where and how to do that?

No actual certification needed. You should really do some open water practice swims before the race, but you're just self certifying that you did that. Some people freak out in open water swims and they want to avoid that.

Although I said before that NYC is an easy swim, I should say it's a fast swim. It still is much different than doing laps in a pool and you should get the experience of swimming in open water before the race.

The Hudson is no longer polluted as it was in past decades, but it is a murky, briny estuary. You can't see in the water, you'll have people splashing around near you, so it can be a little unsettling for some people. But since it's a point to point straight line, current aided swim, it is "easy".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:
M90 wrote:
MattRnr wrote:

No actual certification needed. You should really do some open water practice swims before the race, but you're just self certifying that you did that. Some people freak out in open water swims and they want to avoid that.

Although I said before that NYC is an easy swim, I should say it's a fast swim. It still is much different than doing laps in a pool and you should get the experience of swimming in open water before the race.

The Hudson is no longer polluted as it was in past decades, but it is a murky, briny estuary. You can't see in the water, you'll have people splashing around near you, so it can be a little unsettling for some people. But since it's a point to point straight line, current aided swim, it is "easy".

Mmm sounds like it's going to be quite the luxurious and beautiful swimming experience haha

Any suggestions on where to do a few open swim training sessions?

I live in NYC but family is on LI where I go back to often on weekends in the summer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this for my second ever Tri. You will have a blast! Such a unique opportunity to see NY City in this way.

And the swim is fun. Just do a few open water practice swims (even a pond/lake is fine) to get used to feel of the wetsuit (I rented one), and to practice sighting a bit. Then on the day, go your own pace. Swim was actually my favorite of the three because every 300-400 m I would rest a few seconds, and when I popped up there was always a few people around me doing same thing, and we were cheering each other on. "How cool is this!" "We're in the Hudson!" "Hey, let's wave to the crowd".

The accomplishment of conquering an Oly, and the camaraderie (plenty of cool interactions in Transition and on the Run) and I was hooked. And then, I found this website called Slowtwitch!
Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 13, 20 7:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next