Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A question about Shimano ultegra cassette construction
Quote | Reply
So in looking at Shimano ultegra cassettes that I have both 6800 and r8000 I'm curious what the material is that they used to hold together the 4th and 5th largest cogs. Obviously the first three are held together by an aluminum spider but the core on 4 and 5 does not feel like aluminum to me.
I'm curious because have a conversation I've had with several of you on here about the previous-generation Dura-Ace cassette breaking. It seems like they used some sort of plastic core and I'm wondering if they're still using this product.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Shimano ultegra cassette construction [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily answering your question here, but I was in the market for a few new cassettes a few weeks ago and stumbled upon these by JGBike. I bought two of the 11-28s (the other sizes literally just got released) and they're honestly pretty incredible, especially for the price. Same spacing as the SRAM cassettes which I prefer, and between the SRAM Red and Dura-ace cassettes in weight. Worth a look at least.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Shimano ultegra cassette construction [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Not necessarily answering your question here, but I was in the market for a few new cassettes a few weeks ago and stumbled upon these by JGBike. I bought two of the 11-28s (the other sizes literally just got released) and they're honestly pretty incredible, especially for the price. Same spacing as the SRAM cassettes which I prefer, and between the SRAM Red and Dura-ace cassettes in weight. Worth a look at least.

I'm assuming when you say space in your talkin about gear ratio and not the spacing between the cogs.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Shimano ultegra cassette construction [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
So in looking at Shimano ultegra cassettes that I have both 6800 and r8000 I'm curious what the material is that they used to hold together the 4th and 5th largest cogs. Obviously the first three are held together by an aluminum spider but the core on 4 and 5 does not feel like aluminum to me.
I'm curious because have a conversation I've had with several of you on here about the previous-generation Dura-Ace cassette breaking. It seems like they used some sort of plastic core and I'm wondering if they're still using this product.

Not sure how you are counting the cogs, but on my ultegra 6800 (11-25) cassette, cogs 1 to 6 are loose, cogs 7 and 8 are attached together with a fiber (glass or carbon, not sure) reinforced plastic resin spider, and cogs 9 to 11 are attached together on an aluminum alloy spider.

I am not 100% about this, but I am pretty sure that the older 11-speed dura ace cassettes that had a history of fracturing were caused by issues on the carbon fiber spider that was holding cogs 9 to 11. Because these are the cogs that experience the highest chain to freehub shear forces, plus the arms on that cog spider are the longest, so these were the ones that exploded, if I recall correctly ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 4, 20 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: A question about Shimano ultegra cassette construction [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes how you stated it is correct. I was counting in reverse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Yes how you stated it is correct. I was counting in reverse.

No worries, hope the info above was helpful.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply