Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone already stated it is more likely due to EU's GDPR. I work in HR specifically around people data so I can confirm that it has been a PITA in many ways. You would be surprised about some of the items considered to be private information that need permission to be public or even for others in your own company to use/view without a valid business case for doing so.

What shouldn't be surprising is that age/birthday is considered private and due to that, race results are surprisingly free these days. Perhaps it is in releases now days (not that i read releases RD's make us sign...) but before 2005, highly doubtful. And if they were just running races that don't make you use 12/31 age as USAT does, it is possible, although unlikely, to nail down someone's birthday to the day if they raced enough on or around their actual birthday. Along with that, the race information also gives location information, where you traveled to or even a possible home city based on where you most often race.

All of that to say, I am surprised there still are so many old race results available by any kind of race organizer. Maybe there is some grandfather clause put in to the laws to allow old info or this may be the first of many sites to take down old race results. Either way, I am glad I decided to record my race results in excel spreadsheets.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I recently was charged $89 for a renewal and I never realized that I was on auto renewal. My wife was pissed when she saw the charge, since I don't race anymore and have no need for it. So I went on the Active website to cancel, and I can't find the function which lets me cancel it. I spent twenty minutes trying to find it. Their website intentionally makes it almost impossible to cancel.

I called them and told them I didn't sign up for the membership and they removed it. Took about 10 minutes total.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just came here to say that I haven't signed up for an active.com race in over 5 years.
Boycott any race that uses them if you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
All of that to say, I am surprised there still are so many old race results available by any kind of race organizer. Maybe there is some grandfather clause put in to the laws to allow old info or this may be the first of many sites to take down old race results. Either way, I am glad I decided to record my race results in excel spreadsheets.

This is strange indeed. All who cared, became GDPR-compliant (in one way or another) two years ago. It became active in May 2018.
And there are still sites like athlinks.com where you can find a bunch of results. Somethings is fishy. But well, it's life.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
As someone already stated it is more likely due to EU's GDPR.

Possibly, but seems unlikely given the myriad other results databases that aren't offline. bikereg.com/roadresults.com have no apparent issue with historical results. Though maybe they're just non-compliant, don't care, and haven't been subject to enforcement.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to state the obvious - too late for the data that has been lost - but always record your results and put them in a spreadsheet that you own... make multiple backups.

That way we own the results. I use to record my results, sometimes the whole result set if that was an option, but then got complacent with delegating the effort to coolrunnings, athlinks etc. It is time to go back to that good old strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [justlooking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, maybe their solution would be to sell you the Active Platinum Membership which gives you the benefits of the regular paid account plus access to the results.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [justlooking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justlooking wrote:
I hate to state the obvious - too late for the data that has been lost - but always record your results and put them in a spreadsheet that you own... make multiple backups.

That way we own the results. I use to record my results, sometimes the whole result set if that was an option, but then got complacent with delegating the effort to coolrunnings, athlinks etc. It is time to go back to that good old strategy.

I do the same, sometimes removing that guy who passed me in the last 400m ;)

But the real reason this could be a concern, I think is for marathon investigations and any type of sleuthing any RD might want to do to verify a runner didn't cheat. Granted, that's a small aspect of it but I think it is still important.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
justlooking wrote:

I do the same, sometimes removing that guy who passed me in the last 400m ;)

But the real reason this could be a concern, I think is for marathon investigations and any type of sleuthing any RD might want to do to verify a runner didn't cheat. Granted, that's a small aspect of it but I think it is still important.

"All Runners are Liars" Bart Yasso

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is sales tax new on active? I just went to register for IM Chatt and it was a touch over $900. I was willing to pay 800 but this is a slippery slope.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Since when did Active.com ever host results? They're basically the Ticketmaster of endurance sport.

You can always opt out of Active Advantage, it being checked automatically is industry standard (I wish it wasn't).

Or ...

... wherein you had to cancel, or they'd send you shit AND you still had to pay for it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
is sales tax new on active? I just went to register for IM Chatt and it was a touch over $900. I was willing to pay 800 but this is a slippery slope.

Oh, so it wasn't just IMAZ...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next