Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike upgrade drop bars with extensions
Quote | Reply
I would like to upgrade my road bike (Canyon ultimate) a bit for IM nice 2020.
Are there aero drop bars that are designed to take tri bars?
Planet X used to have them, you could srew the extension on top op the drop bar (cleaner look than regular clip ons)
These bars seem to be discontinued.

Are there other alternatives?
(canyon has 1 1/4 steerer so most bar stem combos won't work)
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade drop bars with extensions [Jo O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show your bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Needs:
  • aero bars
  • compatibility with 1-1/4" steerer

Wants:
  • compatibility with existing aero drop bar? (try finding some Canyon H36 tri extensions)
  • bolt-on not clamp-on style (can't help you there)

Unspecified but should be a Need:
  • aero bars that put you in a good position

The last point is where I'd focus. Better to have your body in a good aero position than have neater handlebars.
For that you'll be battling a) getting your saddle in a good position with the limitations of an OEM seatpost, and b) finding a stem and aero bar combo that will let you get a low enough Pad Y.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jo O. wrote:
Planet X used to have them, you could srew the extension on top op the drop bar (cleaner look than regular clip ons)
These bars seem to be discontinued.

The Selcofs?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6715950

It's an old ad but may be worth an email.. you never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant do a set of aero handlebars, some with integrated 1 1/4 stems, plus add ons for elbow pads and acrobats. Horrendously expensive though.

If you're in the US I have an integrated 42 cm 110 mm stem aero handlebar slr I can sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would caution against spending too much time or money on fitting extensions to a road bike until you know what sort of position you'll be able to achieve. If you just put extensions on the Canyon Ultimate, you should get a bit of a benefit from bringing your arms and shoulders in but without further changes to the bike, your position will still be essentially a road position, and you may not be particularly comfortable on the extensions either. Depending on how you set up the extensions you may or may not be noticably faster, or more comfortable than riding with your hands on the top of the hoods with your forearm horizontal.

When I started tri, I converted my road bike for tri use for a season before deciding to buy a dedicated tri bike. I initially put extensions on the bars with everything else as as it was, knowing this was unlikely to be ideal but I wanted to try it for the hell of it. I didn't find it comfortable and I was still too upright. Then I replaced swapped my stem for a longer one with significantly more drop and replaced the seatpost with a forward offset post. This got me into something approximating a conventional triathlon position. Then I changed the saddle as my road saddle, which I found pretty comfortable in a road position, was excruciating in a triathlon position with more rotated pelvis. After that I was reasonably comfortable on the bike, and the setup made me moderately quick, but handling was not great. There was too much weight on the front of the bike making it feel rather unstable. It was rideable and I didn't worry about it too much once I got used to it, but when I moved on to a dedicated tri bike I realised how compromised the handling had been.

My current road bike is an Canyon Ultimate. Great bike. However, as much as my old road bike was a compromise with clip-ons, I think the Canyon would be a much worse candidate. The geometry is less relaxed and stable than my previous bike with shorter chainstays and steeper steerer angle, meaning the handling issues will likely be worse. Also the non-standard steerer makes it pretty impossible to source relatively inexpensive stems for what may just be an experiment.

My advice: If your existing drop handlebars can accomodate clip-ons, stick with them for now and get an inexpensive set of clip-ons to try this out and fiddle with the position if necessary. You can worry about replacing the handlebar and buying less adjustible extensions when you know what will work for you. If you are planning to spend a few hundred $/€/£ on components to modify your Ultimate, it might be much better spent on an inexpensive second hand tri bike. Even a rather low end tri-bike will almost certainly be more comfortable, handle better and likely faster than a modified road bike like the Ultimate. And if you make saddle and bar position changes on the Ultimate it's no longer going to be usable as a road bike until you convert it back - that's a big compromise IMO!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Canon H36's with the long extensions are the most obvious option but they don't appear to be in stock so you may need to look used.

Control tech is also one of several companies offer stem mounted option i.e. https://www.controltechbikes.com/products/item/383.html . I have not idea about the compatibility of the canyon stem with stem mounted options.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade drop bars with extensions [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I would caution against spending too much time or money on fitting extensions to a road bike until you know what sort of position you'll be able to achieve. If you just put extensions on the Canyon Ultimate, you should get a bit of a benefit from bringing your arms and shoulders in but without further changes to the bike, your position will still be essentially a road position, and you may not be particularly comfortable on the extensions either. Depending on how you set up the extensions you may or may not be noticably faster, or more comfortable than riding with your hands on the top of the hoods with your forearm horizontal.

When I started tri, I converted my road bike for tri use for a season before deciding to buy a dedicated tri bike. I initially put extensions on the bars with everything else as as it was, knowing this was unlikely to be ideal but I wanted to try it for the hell of it. I didn't find it comfortable and I was still too upright. Then I replaced swapped my stem for a longer one with significantly more drop and replaced the seatpost with a forward offset post. This got me into something approximating a conventional triathlon position. Then I changed the saddle as my road saddle, which I found pretty comfortable in a road position, was excruciating in a triathlon position with more rotated pelvis. After that I was reasonably comfortable on the bike, and the setup made me moderately quick, but handling was not great. There was too much weight on the front of the bike making it feel rather unstable. It was rideable and I didn't worry about it too much once I got used to it, but when I moved on to a dedicated tri bike I realised how compromised the handling had been.

My current road bike is an Canyon Ultimate. Great bike. However, as much as my old road bike was a compromise with clip-ons, I think the Canyon would be a much worse candidate. The geometry is less relaxed and stable than my previous bike with shorter chainstays and steeper steerer angle, meaning the handling issues will likely be worse. Also the non-standard steerer makes it pretty impossible to source relatively inexpensive stems for what may just be an experiment.

My advice: If your existing drop handlebars can accomodate clip-ons, stick with them for now and get an inexpensive set of clip-ons to try this out and fiddle with the position if necessary. You can worry about replacing the handlebar and buying less adjustible extensions when you know what will work for you. If you are planning to spend a few hundred $/€/£ on components to modify your Ultimate, it might be much better spent on an inexpensive second hand tri bike. Even a rather low end tri-bike will almost certainly be more comfortable, handle better and likely faster than a modified road bike like the Ultimate. And if you make saddle and bar position changes on the Ultimate it's no longer going to be usable as a road bike until you convert it back - that's a big compromise IMO!!!

I have a second seat post with ism saddle.
So I can easily change from road to TT setup.
I am not going to buy a tt bike.
Just looking to buy the best accesoires for it: aero bottles, aero bento box, aero spares box, deep section wheels.
Adding a aero drop bar would be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jo O. wrote:
I have a second seat post with ism saddle.
So I can easily change from road to TT setup.
I am not going to buy a tt bike.
Just looking to buy the best accesoires for it: aero bottles, aero bento box, aero spares box, deep section wheels.
Adding a aero drop bar would be nice.
The 2nd seat post and ISM saddle will make a big difference to quick and accurate changeover.
You may also need to change the stem for a good position. This is more awkward since you can't have two fully assembled cockpits ready to go - there are brake and gear cables to worry about. Still, swapping stems and keeping the bar is do-able. get the fit sorted first and you'll know what you need.

Bear in mind that while the aero accessories you mention are nice, they make a lot less difference than your position. It should always get priority. That's the main reason I mentioned a tri bike when it seemed you were planning to spend some money. Even a very basic one will sort out your position without all the compromises and messing about. It may not cost you any more but the downside is you'll need to store it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision does. Not a 1-1/4 integrated stem but bars and clip ons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon does have some aerobar extensions compatible with the H36 cockpit.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade drop bars with extensions [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
Canyon does have some aerobar extensions compatible with the H36 cockpit.

yes but these are very short extensions.
I would like tu use full length extensions.
I have also seen reports that they can crack the drop bar.
So I am a bit reluctant to go that way.
That as why I was looking for a drop bar where the extension are bolted on , not clamped on.

But there does not seem to be much choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do have H36 long extensions (I bought some about a month ago) but they never seem to stay in stock long. Keep checking.

There were some problems with cracking on some of the other Canyon aerocockpits, and Canyon no longer warrant them for use on anything but the H36.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade drop bars with extensions [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade drop bars with extensions [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks for this thread, it was useful for me trying to find a Canyon H36 Tri bar extensions.

The only option I have found that will fit a Canyon H36 is to use a Sirocco Mini Clip on tri-Bars. However, this kicker is that you have to contact ControlTech and pay an additional $95USD for a H36 compatible mount to be made. They also fo other Aero cockpits - see the facebook advert which is strangely the only place it has been advertised.

https://www.controltechbikes.com/products/item/383.html

https://www.facebook.com/controltechbike/posts/ride-with-better-controlfor-the-riders-who-want-to-be-faster-and-more-aerodynami/2981496271887019/

I've never posted on a forum but this helped me so thanks!

Russ
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade drop bars with extensions [Russlamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add onto my last message, these are the road mike bars that Controltech can make custom mounts for:

1. 2019 Trek Madone SLR stem
2. Canyon CP10 handlebar
3. Canyou H31 handlebar
4. Canyon H36 handlebar
5. Pinarello Most Talon Ultra handlebar
6. Cannondale System Six EVO Knot stem
7. Tern Verge
8. 2019 Giant Propel
9. Deda Elementi Alanera
10.Giant Contact SI OD2 Stem
Quote Reply