Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit and general build/fit questions
Quote | Reply
I recently got a fit, asked a bunch of questions while there but now that I'm home and digesting the data more and shopping around I have some additional questions which I think are more general fit/build than anything. I haven't reached back to them yet about any of these, figured I'd ask here first.

At the fit we spent about 60-90 minutes adjusting positions, swapping bars/extensions and seats and general moving things around and dialing in. Took videos, measured angles at top and bottom of stroke, did seat pressure analysis, general body comp, I thought it was a great experience and the final product felt awesome. After the physical fit we spent another hour or so discussing the #s, answering my questions and going over bikes that would fit. Before the fit I assumed because of my height (6'6", more leg than torso) that a P61cm and Speed Concept would be two of my few options, and he confirmed the Pseries was, not so much the Trek.. Then we spent some time building up a complete parts list for a Pseries 61 as I want to build the bike myself (for price and experience) and it would mirror what they would build for me if I wanted to go that route. So now out of curiosity and wanting to shop around even more I'm digging through various other frames to see what else would fit and I'm a bit stuck.

Seat is at 88.2cm from BB, drop to pads is -12.5cm so I believe I'm looking at 75.7cm for my stack. That doesn't plot on any quick and easy chart I look at. For references even in the "fit" articles here on ST the article referencing 3 6'3" riders the stack chart tops out at 72.5cm and the highest of the 3 is 68.1cm. I understand the manufacturer geometries listed show the stack height as that from the BB to the top tube, for example stack on the new Pseries 61 looks like 58.8cm, so my assumption is the seat post makes up the remaining ~29.4cm? Looks like most of their seat posts are at least 35cm long, some 40cm, with min insert of 6.5cm, so I'd get my 29.4cm out of that which is close. On the front end the reach for that P series is listed at 44.3cm to the CL of the head tube. My reach is 48.1cm to the back of the pads . So assuming I make up the height with stem and spacers, the back of my pad will be roughly 4cm in front of the CL of the head tube which looks normal compared to others setups. My questions, besides confirmation that my assumptions above are generally correct, are how much height do you want out of a seat post and what is ideal/rule of thumb in terms of where your pads are compared to the CL of the head tube? The higher the seat post the more stress will be applied side to side I assume (ie longer the lever the higher the torque) so at my higher height and weight (220lbs) it seems like a lot of force applied back there. I know I'm tall and I'd be limited in frames to the largest of the group, but honestly it seems like I could take the biggest frame from Pseries, Trek SC and a Shiv and have it fit and ideally pick the one with the highest stack/seat post combo so I can get my seat at 88.2cm. I think I'm missing something but that's what I want to learn. Posted my fit chart below with my own drawing in red there for my own clarity.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit and general build/fit questions [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What saddle are your fit numbers based on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An XL Trek is absolutely an option.

Edit: you should totally reach back out to your fitter

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jan 24, 20 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: Fit and general build/fit questions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What saddle are your fit numbers based on?

ISM PS 1.0. I tried a bunch, never tried a split before, we picked 3 top ones that felt good and did pressure readings on all of them. The 1.0 and 2.0 were close, 1.0 felt a little better.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit and general build/fit questions [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
An XL Trek is absolutely an option.

Edit: you should totally reach back out to your fitter

Yes, I am going to sum up my thoughts and get feedback from him definitely. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off base on what I was thinking first. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your maths doesn't take account of the saddle height being angled. Need to convert to the vertical component then subtract drop. Similarly for Pad X.
Like so

It's also important to know extension angle and length. Particularly for the speed concept as ext length can be a limiter on that bike
Quote Reply
Re: Fit and general build/fit questions [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get around the extension issue using the mono plug

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Fit and general build/fit questions [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Your maths doesn't take account of the saddle height being angled. Need to convert to the vertical component then subtract drop. Similarly for Pad X.
Like so

It's also important to know extension angle and length. Particularly for the speed concept as ext length can be a limiter on that bike

Thanks for the advice on the saddle and extension angles. For reference the saddle horizontal tilt is -3.5 degrees and the aerobar angle is 8.0.

From the looks of it as long as I can get over the stack (Felt looks like a really high stack) I could have a few other options out there. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 cm saddle setback is significant even with an 890 saddle height.

Sure wish you had pictures of you on the bike to go along with these measurements.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply