Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quintana Roo
Quote | Reply
So I'm hoping someone on here can help! I had a Quintana Roo bike stolen from my property, and I'm not here for sympathy or anything, even though it totally sucks... I'm just going through insurance and they want to know details of the bikes, so if I knew what year it was made, I could give them a better idea. I bought it second hand and didn't really know much about the brand when I got it. Completely gutted I won't see this bike again - I have such good memories with it.

But the real question: is anyone able to tell me what model year this bike is?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda
Last edited by: amanda920xt: Jan 22, 20 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [amanda920xt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a Tequilo from the early to mid nineties.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick Google search of Quintana Roo Tequilo looks like it's maybe a 1998?

For what it's worth, depending on your insurance and how it's worded (and how cool the claims adjuster is), you might do ok. When I filed a claim (neighbor's tree fell on my house), the adjuster used the value of the comparable item in the current lineup. In my case, it wasn't bikes, it was camera equipment, but my old film cameras were reimbursed as if they were digital SLRs, and my old laptops, that happened to be gaming laptops, were reimbursed as if they were new gaming laptops, etc.

So tell them it's a mid-level model (which, I believe it was...not the bottom and not the top of the line) and if you're lucky, you can go shopping for a new PR5.

For what it's worth, filing a claim is when you begin to learn the difference in expensive insurance and bare bones coverage. I was paying a ton to Safeco, but when the tree hit my house, they bent over backwards to make me whole. I later switched to cheaper insurance, and the claim I filed (for some minor flooding) was like pulling teeth.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amanda920xt wrote:
But the real question: is anyone able to tell me what model year this bike is?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

You've come to the right place. 'Slowman' (aka Dan Empfield) is the founder of Quintana Roo (and Slowtwitch). He'll know for sure.

I had a similar looking QR Kilo and IIRC, it was circa ~'98.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this. I have a 2000 Tiphoon and it is prized--love that bike. Not saying I wouldn't ever sell it though, as I have too many "prized" bikes. But it certainly had served me well. Combine the the bike and all the wetsuits early in my career from QR I've bought--I've lined Dan's pockets a bit (and deservedly so), as the quality has always been super nice no matter what I bought.

I've been a fan of the Kilo when that came out, but by then my ride worked just fine and no need to replace. I hope you find it! Good luck!
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jan 22, 20 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to say it, but that bike is worth about $200.

I would not be filing an insurance claim.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jan 22, 20 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hate to tell you this, but agree with Jim here. That bike is not worth much at all, and the claim is going to cost you big bucks in the future, not to mention you will be on their radar for cancellation. I'm assuming this is homeowners insurance? Unless you have at least 10k in claims, it seems best just to eat those costs, and keep your insurance stable.. For a couple hundred bucks, not a chance I file, you shouldn't either...

You still have your memories on the bike, that they did not take. And the money does nothing for your sentimentality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my gosh, thank you all so much for the quick responses! I googled a lot and wasn't coming up with anything useful. I know this bike isn't worth much, but they also took my carbon road bike, my cyclocross and my brother's mountain bike... So there's plenty of money to claim back. Hoping they will see it as cost to replace now and not worth of bike. But I won't know until I try.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, how is that for some luck?! Definitely came to the right place. Really loved this bike, even if it doesn't look much to most people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Not sure where you live but you can check your local Craigslist.

I looked for you in the Houston area and found this:

https://houston.craigslist.org/...hlon/7035460309.html

and this in Dallas:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/...bike/7054341092.html

and this in Austin:

https://austin.craigslist.org/...bike/7059793340.html

Bikes similar to yours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a 2019 QUINTANA ROO PRSIX DISC DURA-ACE DI2 RACE BIKE, probably with your 3k disc wheel on it as well.

I know, I know...No one ever got in trouble for insurance fraud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much are the other bikes worth?
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still laugh about the time (years ago) I called to file a claim for my wife's racing stolen from her car at a secured company parking lot. When I told the agent that it was custom built QR Kilo with carbon wheels and worth over $2000, he immediately launched into a heated lecture about what happened to people who commit insurance fraud. He said he was familiar with bike prices because he saw the ads in the paper every week and you could get a very nice bike from K-Mart for $69. I asked him if there was anyone in his office who was a cyclist and he said there was. After a few minutes of muffled conversation in the background, where I could hear the "What? Are you kidding me?" sounds of shock, he came back on and proceed to politely fill out the and process the claim.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had three bikes, four pairs of Look pedals, and about 100 bar end shifter mounts stolen out of my Yukon XL at the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon several years ago. They were probably worth at least $12K. No way I was going to file an insurance claim.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then what's the point of having insurance at all?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insurance is for when you can't afford to replace the items that were stolen.

You also have to take into consideration if your premiums will increase, and in the long run, will cost you more than what the insurance company would pay you for a claim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that wasn’t the case for me. i had two hurricanes wreck my pool equipment 3 months apart. insurance paid in full each time and my premium is still exactly the same

it’s very weird that you would have insurance and not file a claim for a 12,000 USD loss that you were entitled to be paid out on
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it’s very weird that you would have insurance and not file a claim for a 12,000 USD loss that you were entitled to be paid out on//

It might depend on where you live, but here in CA it can be dicey getting insurance, and they can cancel you for no case. Dan got his cancelled when we first moved here after he made a claim for a 100 year storm. I had pretty good insurance, had about a 10k claim once, then several years later was cancelled, now only to be able to get the insurance of last resort(state run fire only). And that is happening to a lot of people here, even within sight of a fire zone, cancelled.

So you either are just lucky, or those two claims have yet to catch up with you. I'm guessing the hammer is yet to fall on you, but perhaps you will still have choices afterwards. 2 Hurricanes in 3 months, seems like a bad risk to me, guessing some bean counter will no doubt come to the same conclusion, eventually...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have one in our garage collecting dust that we want to get rid of. Let me know what size and you can have it for $30 plus shipping. No pedals.

Jim Lukanich
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
it’s very weird that you would have insurance and not file a claim for a 12,000 USD loss that you were entitled to be paid out on//

It might depend on where you live, but here in CA it can be dicey getting insurance, and they can cancel you for no case. Dan got his cancelled when we first moved here after he made a claim for a 100 year storm. I had pretty good insurance, had about a 10k claim once, then several years later was cancelled, now only to be able to get the insurance of last resort(state run fire only). And that is happening to a lot of people here, even within sight of a fire zone, cancelled.

So you either are just lucky, or those two claims have yet to catch up with you. I'm guessing the hammer is yet to fall on you, but perhaps you will still have choices afterwards. 2 Hurricanes in 3 months, seems like a bad risk to me, guessing some bean counter will no doubt come to the same conclusion, eventually...

ahh i am sorry to hear that. not cool. the maths for me are that over the 12 years i have had the house i have paid about 27000 USD insurance and they have paid out about 24000 in claims.

for the first 11 years i had no claims. i think they are probably happy with the risk but i’m not an actuary. with normalized return they have made a decent profit
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks soooo much for looking for me - really appreciated! I'm actually UK based (I just saw a lot of chat about Quintana Roo's on here), so the shipping may outweigh the reward there! I really like the look of the last one too - shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike £1300 new (I paid £650), cyclocross £450 new, mountain bike £350 new. The insurance have been pretty good about it actually, and I can get over £2k to spend on a new bike. So I guess I'm getting an upgrade...?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The UK has craigslist:

https://london.craigslist.org/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way that I would file an insurance claim for that amount of money.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I actually had no idea about that!
Quote Reply