Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Funky (smelling) cycling shoes.
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone.

Any recommendations on getting rid of the funk that happens from using shoes barefoot?

I've typically always had pretty smelly feet, anything I wear barefoot ends up smelling and needing to be washed. I try and hand wash my cycling shoes once a month or so, but recently they seem to hold the smell even after they are freshly washed. I've tried some basic essential oil sprays to see if that helps, and it does mask a little bit but ultimately you still can smell the funk. Anyone else find a product they love, powder, spray, soap that helps keep the smell at bay and don't have to wash all the time?

Thanks, and my wife thanks you too!
Quote Reply
Re: Funky (smelling) cycling shoes. [outdoormaniacs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to kill the fungi/bacteria that have taken up residence. Wash them in the washing machine with bleach (deep wash, or whatever your setting is that fills the drum with water). I place cycling cleats in a mesh bag, and with cleat covers so as not to damage the machine. Alternately you could soak them in a 5gal bucket with water/bleach and then hand wash. Pull out the insoles and soak them as well. Typically do all my shoes in a batch at once (just more convenient).

Between washings, there are UV shoe inserts that will kill the fungi/bacteria.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Quit peeing in them.
2. Wash them better.
3. Dry them better.
4. Change them.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jan 21, 20 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Funky (smelling) cycling shoes. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha,
#1. I've never done that.
#2. I wash those suckers good, scrubbing every inch.
#3. May be the best bet, they are a few years old and been through many races. Just hard to find a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Funky (smelling) cycling shoes. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use a washer at a laundromat - that way you don't damage your own machine

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the shoes dry starting right after your ride. You can get the shoe inserts filled with cedar or charcoal to help soak up moisture and odor. And also stick the shoes in front of a fan after your ride to dry them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
outdoormaniacs wrote:
Anyone else find a product they love, powder, spray, soap that helps keep the smell at bay and don't have to wash all the time?

Febreeze Air

https://www.amazon.com/...MNKGF1DST64HGX29W167

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean mine in the dishwasher.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer or outside if you are in a cold climate. Freezing them kills the smell causing bacteria in there, or so i've read.
Then leave dryer sheets in them when not in use.
Last edited by: kppolich: Jan 21, 20 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Funky (smelling) cycling shoes. [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that urban legend was re-popularized by Levis when they recommended freezing jeans instead of washing them. Unfortunately, it's been debunked. Washing will work if it's followed by really getting them dried well. If you have a pool or spa at home, you can also soak them in there for a while. The Chlorine (or whatever you happen to use to sanitize the pool/spa) will kill the bacteria.
Quote Reply
Re: Funky (smelling) cycling shoes. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
1. Quit peeing in them.
2. Wash them better.
3. Dry them better.
4. Change them.
5. Wear socks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bottle of Dettol antiseptic liquid (https://www.chemist.co.uk/...3EAkYAiABEgKCDPD_BwE) just for my bike shoes after races. Its quite a strong chemical smell, but its better than piss!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean them. Then keep them on a boot dryer when not in use. I do this with all my shoes that I might sweat into. Problem solved. Maybe use some Febreeze Sport now and then too. I do, but very infrequently, sometimes not at all depending on the shoes.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make sure to take the insoles out every time. You can also put an open plastic bag of coffee beans in them, whole bean not grounds. That seems to soak up smells, but in the long run, wash em first and follow some of the other recs mentioned

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply