Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Darkness - New controversial Eminem single released today
Quote | Reply
I won't spoil it, but a pretty powerful song and raising a lot of controversy and buzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQC4fAhcbU

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Darkness - New controversial Eminem single released today [bradword] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gave me chills. Raised hairs. Not what I was expecting. Thanks for sharing.

---

"Sometimes it's just easier to do it the hard way."
Quote Reply
Re: Darkness - New controversial Eminem single released today [bradword] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
controversial Eminem single? Is there another kind? Already 8M views.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a fan of his, but that was exceptional use of his craft and art. IGreat example of using art to make you stop and think,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Provocative. A strong message delivery, but it ultimately won't do much but inflame friends and family of those he's advocating for, because of the graphic reenactment that I'm sure they don't care to relive.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Fox and CNN think he "went too far."

Uh yeah, FOX/CNN. So did NWA. Pretty sure that's the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Darkness - New controversial Eminem single released today [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
graphic reenactment

I didn't think it was that graphic, by modern standards. Not gore at all. Not to say that a re-enactment of what it might have looked like for the dude to fire his bump-stocked rifle from a window might be hard for some people to watch, but the perspective never left the inside of the hotel room (except for a few shots of lights outside the window). Your average Vietnam or WWII re-enactment movie has far more gratuitous gore.

I wonder if the representation of drugs and alcohol in the room was accurate, or dramatization. I know Paddock reportedly smelled of alcohol, and apparently took a lot of Valium. But I wasn't aware that he was like neck-deep in the stuff. That may have been dramatization of Eminem's own struggles with the drugs...it's not entirely clear when the transition from Eminem to Paddock is completed.
Quote Reply
Re: Darkness - New controversial Eminem single released today [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also think it was a generalization of the over abundance of Rx drugs due to the ever increasing diagnoses of mental health issues. Isn't the argument many mass shootings are caused by known or unknown mental health issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Darkness - New controversial Eminem single released today [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
I also think it was a generalization of the over abundance of Rx drugs due to the ever increasing diagnoses of mental health issues. Isn't the argument many mass shootings are caused by known or unknown mental health issues?

Yeah, I agree on 2nd viewing. I think it both references the opiate crisis in the U.S. right now as well as prescription drug culture in general.
Quote Reply
Re: Darkness - New controversial Eminem single released today [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

I’m pretty sure most, if not all, mass shooters have been on some sort of psychotropic medication.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I’m pretty sure most, if not all, mass shooters have been on some sort of psychotropic medication.

That's a good thing, right? Don't we want people with mental health illnesses taking medication that doctors say will help them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the question is if those medications are having side effects that make the idea of killing a bunch of innocent people more “normal” to them.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:
I think the question is if those medications are having side effects that make the idea of killing a bunch of innocent people more “normal” to them.

Aren't there tens of millions of people that take these drugs? We have more mass shootings than anyone would care to see, but it seems like there would be quite a few more with that sample size if it had those "normalizing" effects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seemed thoughtful. Some enjoy spoken word poetry, but I don't. It is annoying to me compared to lyrics set to melody so I stopped watching before I saw anything controversial. I feel I'm missing something as Eminem seems to be highly regarded as an artist. More power to those into it.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:

More likely is that what is happening is these people have stopped taking theses meds (or don’t take them consistently). In the psych unit of our hospital, we get patients who were managed well on their meds but due then decide to stop (because they think they don’t need it anymore, or they don’t like some of the side effects, etc). They go into a manic or schizophrenic episode or whatever and end up being brought into the ED.

Matt
Quote Reply