Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The N word... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... how to put it...
Quote Reply
Re: The N word... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should we even start about chai tea and the idiocy there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Not heard about it, but I can imagine what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
windywave wrote:

Not heard about it, but I can imagine what it is.

Ask an Indian friend. They'll laugh
Quote Reply
Re: The N word... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hindi speakers in the United StatesCountryNumber of speakersMargin of ErrorSpeak English less than "Very Well"Margin of ErrorUnited States643,3379,342132,6313,943
Exactly, if I were a Hindi speaking person having "hello" used out of context would be something I would think was humorous, something I would get a chuckle out of. If I were a Hindi speaking person that also spoke English and was familiar with American/English cultural references and was attending an American Yoga class and at the end of the class when everyone was leaving the instructor said Namaste. I would look at them with a smile and say " You say hello, I say goodbye" lol : )

trail wrote:
SH wrote:
I'm beginning to think this phenomenon has more to do with modern journalism and social media interaction than any real groundswell of discontent.".

I'd think if there's one thing we could all unite to make fun of, it's white people yoga and their namaste bumper stickers and coffee mugs, etc. You have to admit it's kind of silly, and none of them probably have any idea of the history or historical usage of the term, or how it's used by actual Hindi.

Instead you have to make it all heavy and about "modern journalism" and "social media interaction" (whatever the hell those terms mean).

The funny part, is that the "modern journalists" main point is that "namaste" has been watered down over the years (through no one's fault) to mean little more than "Hello" and white people yoga pretend it has some deep, respectful hindi religious meaning or something.

That's mainly her point. In a little op-ed piece. I think this thread can just calm down a little. This is no an attack on everything good and free in the world. She doesn't hate white people. It's OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here, JP does it better: (skip to like 2:18 if you want)

Last edited by: trail: Jan 18, 20 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: The N word... [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to use the information in this thread to basically burst the bubble of the annoying yoga practitioner I know who is always namaste this and that and clasping her hands and bowing.

Then I'll offer her some chai tea ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The N word... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
white people yoga pretend it has some deep, respectful hindi religious meaning or something
---

The white people yogi's in my circle, some of whom aren't even white, use the term to mean, conceptually, 'peace' or 'peace to you'. I've never heard them apply any kind of deep religion to it.

If it's a yogi, and the term is used in a class, then I think it's probably appropriate and acceptable. I think this is mostly about attempts to bring the term out into mainstream usage outside the studio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everytime she says Namaste, say "Hello", with a nice smile. : )

windywave wrote:
I'm going to use the information in this thread to basically burst the bubble of the annoying yoga practitioner I know who is always namaste this and that and clasping her hands and bowing.

Quote Reply
Re: The N word... [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NormM wrote:
Everytime she says Namaste, say "Hello", with a nice smile. : )

windywave wrote:

That's the plan
Quote Reply

Prev Next