Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
desert dude wrote:
It's very, very easy to put way too much icing on the cake.

Ohhhhhhhhh, helllllllllllll no!!!! Oh wait, are we not talking about food here???????????

Tom_Hampton--now we are talking!!

I go out for an 8 mile run at lunch. I zig instead of zag....8 turns into 10 1/2. then I come back to this. Love it!

Being from the South, and texas specifically....I'm a pecan pie person myself. For cake, I prefer....well NO cake...just frosting (as noted above). If there has to be cake: Tres Leches cake is where its at!
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cake merely provides (as you note, apparently an unnecessary) delivery device for frosting.
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never actually had pecan pie. We do have butter tarts up here, sometimes they have pecans in them. Similar thing?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's better (and tastier) than that cake analogy.

But not nearly as quotable

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very misleading thread. A 4-5 hour ride or 2 hour run on Zone 2 is harder for a lot of us to recover than a bunch of shorter intervals on a 1 hour session . I have overtrained myself doing too much "easy" training. Zone 3 effort instead of Zone 2 on long rides/runs is another recipe for disaster. Not sure what level you are nor what your goals are, but most athletes would not be able to time trial for 60 mins on 300 W by training on 200 W nor run a sub 1 20 half marathon by running at 8 or 8 30 min/mile all the time. You have to teach your body how to swim, bike or run, fast by going even faster/harder, hence need for intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I've never actually had pecan pie. We do have butter tarts up here, sometimes they have pecans in them. Similar thing?

2nd cousins maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

2nd cousins maybe.

Pecan pie and second cousins? That's a party!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I looked at a recipe for butter tart...looks pretty much identical to pecan pie filling, except pecan pie doesn't have any lemon in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Very misleading thread. A 4-5 hour ride or 2 hour run on Zone 2 is harder for a lot of us to recover than a bunch of shorter intervals on a 1 hour session . I have overtrained myself doing too much "easy" training. Zone 3 effort instead of Zone 2 on long rides/runs is another recipe for disaster. Not sure what level you are nor what your goals are, but most athletes would not be able to time trial for 60 mins on 300 W by training on 200 W nor run a sub 1 20 half marathon by running at 8 or 8 30 min/mile all the time. You have to teach your body how to swim, bike or run, fast by going even faster/harder, hence need for intensity.

Is it a recipe for disaster or just bad cake?
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we were talking about cake-eating abilities, I would be highly-trained in all zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
..... A 4-5 hour ride or 2 hour run on Zone 2 is harder for a lot of us to recover than a bunch of shorter intervals on a 1 hour session .[quote/]

In many respects very true. Mostly bc this type of training lacks the endurance building benefits that lots of longer yet much less intense training offers. This is basically a 4 cylinder engine with some tuning.

Engner66 wrote:
I have overtrained myself doing too much "easy" training. Zone 3 effort instead of Zone 2 on long rides/runs is another recipe for disaster. Not sure what level you are nor what your goals are, but most athletes would not be able to time trial for 60 mins on 300 W by training on 200 W nor run a sub 1 20 half marathon by running at 8 or 8 30 min/mile all the time. You have to teach your body how to swim, bike or run, fast by going even faster/harder, hence need for intensity.

I think you misunderstand how training works. For instance the person who TT's at 300w who does a lot of short fast training isn't going to be able to finish a workout like 5x(10min @ 102-105% FZTP + 4 min easy) The same FTP person who does a lot of higher volume training has put in the background work to complete that set and recover from it.

No one is saying avoid doing intervals.
What the research seems to indicate is that a lot of high volume work is extremely important to maximizing your physiological ability.

Even in an 80/20 plan the amount of time actually spent doing an interval is usually going to be <9% of the total amount of training time for the week and probably closer to 7.5%. In a 10h (600 minute) training week that's < 60 min of actual interval work.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.5% ???

That's some pretty thin icing!
Must be vegan icing or something like that :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why train hard if you can succeed with easy training? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
7.5% ???

That's some pretty thin icing!
Must be vegan icing or something like that :)

More like a sugar glaze, or royal icing. Like you might find on a donut or a nice pastry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there such a thing as bad cake ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
RandMart wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
RandMart wrote:
So, sticking with the pie metaphor, does a pie need a lid? Solid? Latticed? Would just a crumble do?

pie needs a lid, or it's not pie, it's a tart. Unless it's something like pecan pie, but I digress. There are many different options for the lid. I'm partial to lemon meringue myself, the more meringue the better. but a latticed apple pie is really nice too.

Thanks for the clarification

Do we dare move onto other puffy pastry baked treats like turnovers or dessert croissants, which sometimes have a fruit or custard filling and a swizzle of royal sugar icing?

To bring it back full circle, training is like baking a pie. You need all the ingredients, in the right proportions and layered together properly, and let it cool off a bit (but not too much) before it's perfect for serving.

That's better (and tastier) than that cake analogy.

It also helps if you're a little "flaky"

Maybe doing something like trying to run 100 times [30 minute or 5K minimum] in 100 days

Quote Reply

Prev Next