Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM eTap 1x for 70.3 Chattanooga
Quote | Reply
Just a quick poll, has anyone used a one by system for any hilly-er races? Just swapped my Tri bike to SRAM Force AXS.

Setup is 50t chainring 10-32 cassette
Last edited by: nfleech: Jan 10, 20 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap 1x for 70.3 Chattanooga [nfleech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used it the last two years. one year 50 the other year 52. Both with 11/28. Obviously it is very personal and what type or rider you are.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap 1x for 70.3 Chattanooga [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know, I push heavy power but live in the flat part of the country...so just a little curious. The gearing is pretty close to 2x11 just larger jumps in between gears obviously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a strong cyclist you should be fine. There is one bigger hill that's pretty steep but other than that it's rolling with nothing too crazy.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nfleech wrote:
SRAM eTap 1x for 70.3 Chattanooga: Just a quick poll, has anyone used a one by system for any hilly-er races?

What jrielley said. Since you had Chattanooga 70.3 in the title, that is not a hilly course. It has one hill, otherwise it is very fast. If you are a good cyclist, you could likely ride that hill on 50-25 or 50-28 gearing. The worst hills are only about 2 minutes long.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 10, 20 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the full at Chattanooga, which I believe is the same bike course but 2 loops. If that is true then you should be fine on a 1x setup. I stayed in the big ring the entire time (52 teeth). I dont remember what my cassette range is but I know I never was at a point where I wish I had more gears. Their was 1 hill where I probably should have switched the to small ring but that was mainly cause I was doing big ring to big ring and it was a little noisy, not because i needed to spin up a hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Chattanooga full, and never used my small ring. I think I had 11-25 on the back, maybe an 12-26, other than right before the turnaround, there's really no remarkable hills. If you've got a 1x with 11-32 in the back, you should have no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap 1x for 70.3 Chattanooga [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
If you are a strong cyclist you should be fine. There is one bigger hill that's pretty steep but other than that it's rolling with nothing too crazy.

This. Only one short puncher that is steep enough to warrant a small chainring, but you could suck it up on a 1x. Won't be an issue anywhere else on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just be careful on Andrews. It's not so much that it's steep, it's that it's at a turn and if you're not in the right gear with momentum, it could suck. Other than that, you're fine as long as your'e a strong cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question. I am doing the 70.3, and most likely the 140.6 as well this year, and I am looking to build a 1x bike this summer for use at Chattanooga.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you give us a better idea of how fast you have ridden some other 70.3 course and still ran well? 50 teeth on a chainring *sounds* big when you have a 10 tooth on the cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap 1x for 70.3 Chattanooga [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can absolutely give you an idea, this will be my first 70.3!! Longest races have been Olympic distances...averaging anywhere between 19-22mph on the bike to 7:30-8:00min/mi on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that two of the people that replied that you should be fine with that setup are/were professional triathletes. They are under an hour on the bike leg of an olympic and 6 minute pace for the run.

I would go down to at least a 46 chainring in your position. It would be like having a 51 x 11 top gear. For me, I'm usually tucking in and trying to stay small if I get above a 85-90 cadence on a 50 x 11. There looks like a lot of short kickers on that route that might burn some matches. A 46 x 10 will still give you a ton of top end but making your bailout (climbing gear) nearly 10% easier. 44 might not be bad either. That's still 31 mph at a cadence of 90.

That 10 tooth on a cassette really changes things.
Last edited by: dangle: Jan 21, 20 15:06
Quote Reply