Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s
Quote | Reply
Picking up a SC and it's coming w/Aeolus stock. The Flo 60s are the previous generation but have less than 200 miles on them. If you could only keep one pair, which would you keep? Any benefit to keeping both?
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If those are the bontrager wheels that I'm thinking of the ones that have a carbon fairing on an aluminum wheel just like the flos
Then I would go with a Flo.

I've had several sets of Flo wheels and was always pretty happy with them. However the bontrager wheels I had with the carbon fairing started to separate on me almost like they had not been glued properly or whatever type of adhesive they use.

Now if they are the full carbon bontrager wheels that's a different story those things are pretty bomb-proof. IMO
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I've had several sets of Flo wheels and was always pretty happy with them. However the bontrager wheels I had with the carbon fairing started to separate on me almost like they had not been glued properly or whatever type of adhesive they use.

Yes, the aluminum rim Bontragers w/carbon fairing. I'm shocked that you had that experience with the Bontragers. I would expect that the warranty would/should cover new ones. At any rate, thanks for your thoughts. I'm entering this conversation w/a bias toward the Flos but enjoying learning what I thought I knew. Happy new year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t have any data on this, but I assume from an aero perspective that these wheels would be very similar. I’d see what the resale value of the wheels would be and sell the wheels that I could get the most money for. But it depends on your financial situation
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
I don’t have any data on this, but I assume from an aero perspective that these wheels would be very similar. I’d see what the resale value of the wheels would be and sell the wheels that I could get the most money for. But it depends on your financial situation

From my unscientific research, it seems that, despite the Flos' age, they would still bring in similar resale value than new Bonts ($500/$600). I don't know, to the touch, the Bonts just don't feel as robust as the Flos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I did get my money back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough call for sure. I would guess the Flo 60s are maybe a touch faster but in my limited experience the durability hasn’t on.y been so-so.

It wasn’t clear to me which generation of the Flo wheel you were talking about and whether they were the all carbon wheel. I had a set of the very first generation Flos and a later set of the Flo 30 rims. In both cases the rear rims did not last very long and the aluminum seemed too soft. On the other hand I rode a pair of the old Rolf/Bontrager wheels for a solid 60000 miles without trueing them once and I haven’t had similar problems with any of my HED Jets. Your results may vary
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Tough call for sure. I would guess the Flo 60s are maybe a touch faster but in my limited experience the durability hasn’t on.y been so-so.

It wasn’t clear to me which generation of the Flo wheel you were talking about and whether they were the all carbon wheel. I had a set of the very first generation Flos and a later set of the Flo 30 rims. In both cases the rear rims did not last very long and the aluminum seemed too soft. On the other hand I rode a pair of the old Rolf/Bontrager wheels for a solid 60000 miles without trueing them once and I haven’t had similar problems with any of my HED Jets. Your results may vary

Fine. I'll keep all three (also have Flo 30s)! Why not, don't have space for a 6th bike but do for wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Did you have any specific issues a warranty would cover? If so, did you contact us directly?

Thanks,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Porfirio wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Fine. I'll keep all three (also have Flo 30s)! Why not, don't have space for a 6th bike but do for wheels.

FYI, the Hambini tests (for what they are worth) have the Bontragers being a bit faster
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Did you have any specific issues a warranty would cover? If so, did you contact us directly?

Thanks,

My problem with the 60 rear was that 3 spoke nipples started to pull through the rim after about 2 seasons of use. I didnt think that would be a warranty issue.

My Flo 60s were also from the second batch and it was my understanding that there wasn’t really a warranty because the price was so much cheaper than anything else on the market at that time. They were a screaming deal at under $1000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Porfirio wrote:
Picking up a SC and it's coming w/Aeolus stock. The Flo 60s are the previous generation but have less than 200 miles on them. If you could only keep one pair, which would you keep? Any benefit to keeping both?

If it was me and you are probably splitting hairs anyway as there are surely faster wheels out there, so knowing (assuming) that the ultimate in performance is not the goal, I would just list both for sale and whatever sells first then you become the proud keeper of the other.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Porfirio wrote:

If it was me and you are probably splitting hairs anyway as there are surely faster wheels out there, so knowing (assuming) that the ultimate in performance is not the goal, I would just list both for sale and whatever sells first then you become the proud keeper of the other.

That makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus Comp 5 vs Flo 60s [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Porfirio wrote:

I am comparing wheels now

Which would you say are faster?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Canadian wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Thanks,

My problem with the 60 rear was that 3 spoke nipples started to pull through the rim after about 2 seasons of use. I didnt think that would be a warranty issue.

My Flo 60s were also from the second batch and it was my understanding that there wasn’t really a warranty because the price was so much cheaper than anything else on the market at that time. They were a screaming deal at under $1000.

We’ve always had warranty on all of our products. If you still have the wheels send us a message and I’ll see what we can do. It sounds like it’s been years now but we might still be able to help you out.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When has Flo ever said our products are so inexpensive that we wouldn’t warranty them??? As shown I this thread, as well as my own personal experience, Flo’s customer service is nothing short of excellent.
Quote Reply